Dorema Awnings

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking on the Dorema Website and they have some good offers on their awnings.

Does anyone have a Dorema Awning if so? If so which one, and what do you think of it.

Les

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
hi

we have a dorema montana its a good awning but have had a serious problem with the zips been really hard to undo. saw a quest awning recently which was similar in price but looked more like isabella (one day we will get there!!)

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carper

We've got a Dorema Sirocco which we bought a few years ago. We like it very much. The zips have never been any trouble. It has a substantial feel to it. My husband can erect it by himself. The instructions were a little sketchy but we'd put an awning up before so that helped.

The first time we used it we had a weekend on a nearby C&CC site just in case there were any bits missing. When we told the HSM why we were there she said that they always bought Dorema as they lasted well. You can imagine that their season's use is much more that the average caravanner's. Ours came from Glossop Caravans and arrived by carrier three days after we ordered it.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Les, we bought our awning direct from the factory and the service was excellent.No delivery charges either!I emailed them to find out the size we needed and Paul answered straight away.We have a Montana Lux size 17 with fibre frame, storm kit and locking clips and it was just under

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi carper,

we have a dorema awning and are very pleased with it the only 2 problems we have come across occured just after we bought it. First was getting my head round the fact that the upright poles don't fit upright they are positioned outward at an angle, sort of pyramid fashion. it never looked right sort of baggy and screwiff untill I saw another one "on site" and twigged what was wrong after that simple.

the other thing was the first time it rained from new it acctually leaked like a collinder everything inside was soaked with little droplets of water stuck to the inside of the canvass like condensation does. once it had completly dried out it was fine. apparently inorder to set the waterproofer the canvass has to be completly soaked and then dried out, once this had been done it has remained 100% waterproof ever since even after a week of torrential rain. however no one told us this at the time.

all in all a good allround piece of kit that is tough and durable and quite wide for its size, however it is not one of the lightest with the steel poles. an addition of a stormstrap is also recommended for hard ground.

in conclusion I feel it is good value for the money all in all and I would not hesitate to buy another should we change the size of the van.

colin

May 22, 2006
Visit site
We`ve a Dorema Calypso, the name Calypso was dropped a few years ago I believe, very similar if not the same as the Montanna. Yes the zips can be a bit awkward at times but a quick spray of silicone non staining lube does the trick, also the bunch of zip pulls used to rattle against the centre pole but a six inch piece of foam pipe insulation slit lengthways and slid up the centre pole cured that. Other than the zips we love the awning.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Les,

We bought a Doreema porch awning early last month and erected it for the first time while on a CL site on the Lleyn peninsula, N Wales. It looked fine and we were very pleased with our new aquisition.

The evening weather bulletin was not good with rain and strong winds forecast across the Irish sea". Rain was already falling as I set up the storm straps and hammered in the steel pegs.

By 11:00 pm the caravan and awning were taking a severe buffeting.

The storm raged on and I lay there thinking that I should have taken the awning down. Too late now! It was nice while it lasted - but we can probably say goodbye to our new porch.

Our neighbours abandoned their caravan and sought refuge in their car. It really was that bad!

Through the small hours the gusts were maybe not quite so powerful and by 4:00 am some sleep at last!

We awoke to relative calm and I dreaded to see the damage.

Our awning was still standing! After a good look around everything appeared fine. A few pegs and poles needed repositioning. Even the "stuff" inside the awning was dry and exactly as we had left it. Amazing!

Tents in a nearby field had been blown to shreds, fabric and poles. The farm buildings had suffered damage with slates off the roof. Through out the region there was wide spread damage with gusts of 85 mph recorded at Aberdaron just 12 miles from us.

I suppose you can guess that we are very impressed with our Doreema awning. A really sturdy bit of kit!

Doug

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have had 3 Dorema's now and our most recent was a Madison fitted to a 7m van with five roof poles. It was excellent and never gave any problems despite leading a hard life. We have now moved to a midi awning (Isabella Magnum) which is roomy enough for four but can be changed between vans without any extra costs.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Our first brand new awning was a Doremma. On the very first night of use, we too had a windy night so there was a fair bit of flapping in the awning. When we looked the next morning the overlarge tighteners on the awningpoles had rubbed holes in the fabric. We were devasteded and on our return took it back to the dealers. Doremma told him it was our fault for not having the ( oversized and huge) keys on the tightners in the right position as was common sense. We told him nowhere does it warn you of that in the instructions.

He kindly agreed to let us exchange the Doremma for an Isabella and it serves us well 8 years later.

Doremma, I would no longer touch them with an awning pole.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am impressed by the fact that most people seem to be very happy with them. The one I am looking at is the Montana Super Lux, the price is £570.20 includingFibre Tech fibreglass frame.

I took my Caravan in for some warranty work. Before we left the boss decided to see if they had the Dorema in the show room. They didn't but she fell in love with an Apache Buckinghams curved roof. The only problem is the Apache works out at £1025.

We have decided to look at the NEC in October.

Once again thanks for your input.

Les

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Les,
Both the full awning (montanna, I Think,) and porch (Toronto) awning we have are of the Dorema make, the full awning came with the van about 3 years ago and had no problems at all , in fact so impressed we brought the porch awning recently and again well pleased.

Kev

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Les.
Purchased a size 14 Dorema Montana Super Lux with aluminium poles last year direct from their warehouse off the M62 at Wakefield. A brilliant awning which takes my wife and I approx 1 hour to erect and 40 minutes to take down. As with Doug, it has withstood a few gales and will purchase another if needed.
Purchased a new Apache awning a few years ago which was OK but not a patch on the Dorema. We purchased a new van which was the reason for changing awnings. Taff

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts