Dover Calais Ferry crossing

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
We are going over to France in July on an 11am approx Dover/Calais crossing.
We have not used this crossing before and I was wondering if we made good travelling time and arrived at the Dover early do you think that Seafrance would put us on an earlier ferry crossing for no difference in cost?
Just thinking that it would enable us to travel a bit further down France before first nights stopover.
Thank you.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Depends if the person on check-in feels like it.
If the earlier crossing fare was more expensive than the one you were booked on, you will almost certainly have to pay the difference.
In the same situation I have been asked for:
No charge.
A £25 admendment fee.
The difference in price between the fare I paid & more expensive earlier fare.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it is very unlikely that there would be space on an earlier ferry at that time of year, as it is their busy period.

Steve W

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Willi-Wonti said:
The cheap rates are from about midnight to 0700.
It's not quite as simple as that, for example a single on the16th July
23:05 £85.00
00:15 £85.00
04:05 £85.00
07:00 £115.00
08:15 £95.00
09:45 £115.00
11:10 £85.00
12:30 £105.00

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Why not just plan you journey as you want. book your ferry time as you want, and pay the Appropriate fee for your crossing time....
why do people expect something for nothing????

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
LOL
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think the original poster was asking for 'something for nothing'. It was a polite request for information about whether he was likely to be put on an earlier crossing if he arrived early - and whether or not a charge was likely to be made. For first-timers this is a reasonable request. For those of us who have a long journey from our homes, it's not always possible to get to Dover for your planned crossing - sometimes you can be very early if traffic is not a problem. Sometimes you can be very late - we've been several hours late when the M20 came to a complete standstill..
Seafrance, however, are not the best for offering changes to crossing times. We were a few minutes late for our crossing and they made us wait four hours for the next one in the same price band. However, with P and O and with Norfolk Lines we've always been allowed on an earlier ferry if we arrived early, or a later ferry if we arrive late, with no problems. I think there is more leeway than the other posts suggest - they may let you on if there is still room, as you may be filling the space of someone who is late - and the late arrival might then take your empty space on a later crossing.
If you haven't already booked with Seafrance then Norfolk Lines are doing some very cheap offers at the moment (using the code TEF 12 or TEF12) - and you'll have no problems with them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have said there isn't a yes/no answer with this one. From my personal experience though over the past 20 odd years, I've done this more often than not and haven't been asked to pay a penny.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all who have taken the time to post some very useful and constructive replies.
ValA Thanks for the heads up on the discount code for the ferry crossing however I have already booked and paid for my ferry. I must remember to check this out next year though.
As you guessed, we are travelling quite a distance and may arrive earlier than expected. A friend mentioned that it might be possible to "Just roll up" at the port and be put on an earlier crossing. I was a bit dubious about this and thought that I would "survey" you guys on this.
I think that I will just stick with my original crossing and then just stay nearby the night before. The C&CC are bound to have a THS near Dover in July,

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The best time for the promotional code is around the time of the NEC in October. Last October we booked our ferry for car and caravan, using the code, and it cost £58.00 return, or £74.00 in high season! At that time you have a larger choice of dates and times as the popular sailings aren't already booked up!

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Val A - that is a great tip. We booked our ferry crossing end Nov/start Dec with the C&CC Carefree travel service and looking around I had thought that we got a good deal at the time. Dover Calais Return crossing in July for Car, Caravan and 4 persons for £110 return with Seafrance. I can see now that I should have had my eyes on this forum back in October for your discount NEC codes! Oh well lesson learnt for next time.
Mind you still a lot cheaper than the ferry crossing prices between N Ireland and the Mainland. Thank goodness for Tesco Reward Tokens!

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I've used Sea France several times and always arrive at the ferry terminal early because it's so easy to get held up in traffic. There's only been one time I've had to wait for my booked ferry and have not been charged any extra. I cannot confirm the arrangements continue now as the last time I used them was 2009 but I believe it was possible to travel up to 2 hours earlier than booked without an eccess being charged. I can only suggest you check the small print on the T & C's.

Hope you have a good trip.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Tony H said:
I believe it was possible to travel up to 2 hours earlier than booked without an eccess being charged. I can only suggest you check the small print on the T & C's.
I would really doubt that, what would stop people booking a cheaper later crossing & turning up for a more expensive earlier one ?
The company would get wise to that loss of revenue very quickly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts