Dover to Calais overnight stop

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

We will be leaving Lincoln early Sunday evening in August for Dover. Expecting to arrive at Dover around 10:00-10:30pm. In the past we have stayed at Capel Farm, Capel le Ferne near Folkestone, but due to the late arrival I was wondering if it is still possible to stay on the dock at Dover.

Any suggestions/comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Moley

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moley

Depending on what time your ferry is originally booked for, you may be able to try your luck and get on one straight away, depending on how full they are.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Moley

Depending on what time your ferry is originally booked for, you may be able to try your luck and get on one straight away, depending on how full they are.
Hi Gill

Thanks for the reply. If we got straight on the ferry we would arrive in France around midnight French time and would still need somewhere to sleep, unless you have some other suggestions. We are going to www.camping-lecolombier.com in Normandy, so do not want to drive during the night.

Cheers

Moley

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Best place to park in Dover is on Marine Parade (look it up on Streemaps.co.uk). It's about 2 mins from the port, and you won't get lorries waking you up through the night. There are spaces set aside for overnight parking, and you will find a mix of caravans and motorhomes doing the same as you.

We had a great night's sleep there at Easter.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Best place to park in Dover is on Marine Parade (look it up on Streemaps.co.uk). It's about 2 mins from the port, and you won't get lorries waking you up through the night. There are spaces set aside for overnight parking, and you will find a mix of caravans and motorhomes doing the same as you.

We had a great night's sleep there at Easter.
Thanks Mike.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mike P.

Is there any charge for staying on Marine Parade. Do you have to report to anyone on arrival, and do you have to unhitch the caravan.

Thanks in advance.

Moley

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No charge at all, as they are free marked bays. No-one to report to, as it's just a road. You don't have to unhitch, but if you want to run your fridge on gas overnight you'll need a block on one side to get level.

In terms of safety, don't worry. It's secluded and quiet. You're more likely to be hit by a foreign lorry as you drive through Dover. I know - it happened to me last year.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
No charge at all, as they are free marked bays. No-one to report to, as it's just a road. You don't have to unhitch, but if you want to run your fridge on gas overnight you'll need a block on one side to get level.

In terms of safety, don't worry. It's secluded and quiet. You're more likely to be hit by a foreign lorry as you drive through Dover. I know - it happened to me last year.
Thanks Mike for the reply.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Robert

Not booked the ferry yet but it will probably be around 7:00am.

Cheers

Moley
Hi Moley, i would have booked one nearest to your arrival time at Dover and have nap whilst sailing then there are plenty of stops the other side if it is wanted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts