"Down plating" my caravan

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
HHello just a quick question.
Is it possible to down the mtplm of my caravan?
its currently 1454kgs and I tow it with a passat estate tdi, I'm always paranoid about getting stuck and would like a 4 wheel drive.
If I was able to down the weight by only about 50kgs this would allow me to tow with a freelander and still be within my 3500kg limit.

Ive search the net about it and it seem very common with trailers but couldn't really find anything about caravans.
Josh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Josh,

What a sensible question.

The answer is yes, but to be honest I'm not sure how do it. Several caravan manufacturers allow some of their models to be up graded, so clearly it is possible reduce the MTPLM.

I assume from your posting that you don't have cat BE (or B+e) hence your wish to reduce the MTPLM. I urge you to double check the requirements of the category and your maths. The criteria is the combined MAM. Now on the face of it you might assume that means the Gross Vehicle Weight plus the caravan MTPLM. But that means the nose weight has been included twice!

The reason for this is that the GVW has to include the nose load imposed by the trailer. But equally the MTPLM of the trailer also includes its nose load, so that's the nose load included twice!

So to be precise, the actual combined MAM should equal GVW + MTPLM + Nose Weight. - which is usually bigger than the the amount you are considering having the MTPLM reduced by.

Whilst the above is mathematically correct, not every body shares the same insight into the logic, so for that reason I recommend you seek a professionals advice.

If you still wish to down rate the MTPLM, then you could try asking VOSA or the VCA for advice.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This question has been asked before and none of the UK manufacturers will downplate any of their vans, only upgrade is possible

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
josh.......your quick question is the wrong question about the wrong solution!
The right solution is to take the B+E test and upgrade your licence ......then you can have the tow car of your choice.
The test is not that difficult and is largely practice and common sense.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Right, yes, I've been thinking about this and I should take the test.
I'm going to start looking into it, I will never have to worry about it then.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Josh
I had a problem when i purchased my Luna and they reduced mine by 25Kg for me at no cost and just sent me a new plate.
One would assume that other manufacturers would do it as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Muckypup,
It would be nice and simple if all caravan manufacturers did act in the same way, but they are often fairly defensive of their differences, SoIi couldn't assume the job of down rating will be simple for all.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
As the MTPLM is not a legal mandatory plate, get one off ebay and printed to your requirements or just remove it all together.
Bad idea Surfer
naughty.gif

The O.P. doesn't have a category B+E and the point of him wanting to downplate his caravan was so that he could use a 4x4 and still be under his 3500kg legal limit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I might comment re the OPs paranoia about getting stuck that in all our time towing the only times we have been stuck were when towing with a Sorento on AT tyres (soft ground freshly cut grass which was wet) and the XC 70 heavy rain last summer on CS grass pitch. Perhaps keeping off wet grass pitches is the answer? But I carry some grip tracks and whether 2wd or 4wd they will get you going in most cases where the tyres find grip somewhat lacking.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
I agree with otherclive, I think there is a spot of paranoia here on behalf of the OP, over getting stuck, if the OP genuinely wants a 4x4 as a tow car, thats one thing, given the variations available it must be possible to find one within the weight limit with his present van.
he may wish to change the van at some point for something a little heavier, then it worth taking the test,
but to ditch a perfectly good tow car and outfit and take another test on the premiss that something may or may not happen is just a little OTT.
take it from me as a seasoned vereran there are many steps one can take to make sure this never happens, if you want a list just ask!! I have never had a 4x4 yet towed all sorts of combos for more than 40years number of times stuck, "Zero".

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the help people.
It wasn't so much getting stuck on site, more on the roads to be honest, I get paranoid about getting stuck on a steep hill an not being able to pull away
23ft, 1454kg caravan an front wheel drive car.
I am new to this only having had the caravan for 1.5 years mind so I'm clearly thinking into it too much.
Thanks for the reassurance everybody :)

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
josh said:
Ok, thanks for the help people.
It wasn't so much getting stuck on site, more on the roads to be honest, I get paranoid about getting stuck on a steep hill an not being able to pull away
23ft, 1454kg caravan an front wheel drive car.
I am new to this only having had the caravan for 1.5 years mind so I'm clearly thinking into it too much.
Thanks for the reassurance everybody :)
hi josh, I am sure someone will correct me if wrong, But providing the vans max weight ie MTPLM minus noseweight, is within the maximum set by VAG you should be fine, these figures are not drawn out of thin air but carefully calculated for a standing start on a 1 in 12 gradient, it is most unlikely during normal touring to have to do a standing start on a slope greater than this,
one of the things you learn from experience is to plan your journey to avoid any steep hills ect, and if you do encounter one engage first gear and keep moving,
ps. that was no7 off my list.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Josh,

I agree with the last few responses, especially Clive's reference to the car manufactures towing weight.

May I also suggest you consider taking a safe towing course (not necessarily the B+E course) to gain confidence in your own abilities. The Caravan club run them and they are open to non members also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts