Draughty fridge

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

we have a two year old Abbey with a very draughty fridge. With autumn already here I was wondering if this was normal. We use the van all year round but when it's windy and cold the draught coming from all around the fridge means we have to have the heating on max all the time. Are they supposed to be this poorly insulated. I stuff towels in the gaps but me thinks I shouldn't have to do this. What do you do?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I had the pleasure of repairing my fridge this morning. the fridge is a flush fit on the sides, secured by two screws either side, so no draughts there.

However over the top of the fridge is a 3" thick tight fitting sponge from one side to the other, so again no draughts.

I would remove your outside vents and have a look, you must have free air flow between the vents to remove the heat produced while the fridge is operating, but no draughts otherwise.

The vent can be removed on my 2004 bailey, by turning the plastic screw 90 degrees, then carefully prise the cover off at the SCREW end, and pull towards that end, the other side is secured with a 1" tongue and grove. I say remove carefully because sometimes mastic has overrun and sticks to the cover, but its a 30 sec job once you have done it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you bought the van new, then it is still under warranty and I would INSIST the dealer refitted the fridge in accordance with the fitting instructions.

There should be NO draughts whatsoever from the rear of the fridge to the inside of the van, it SHOULD be fully room sealed.

If you have draughts , then it is a possibly very dangerous situation in as much as if the burner is not working correctly and producing excessive Carbon Monoxide, then that could find its way into the van and ,,,,,,,,,kill you.

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Homer

I had exactly the same issue after we had some work done on our fridge (door replacement) and again just recently.

I investigated and found that the foam sealing strip on the top of the fridge had 'rolled', presumably when the fridge was being put back into place.

As suggested, take off the outer vents and refit the seal.

By the way, make sure that the fridge is not on! I got some nasty little burns when I furtled around the back of mine when doing this job!

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Read with interest the comments regarding drafty fridges,As we always have our awning erected on site with the fridge external vents inside the awning never felt any drafts.

Just come back from 8 nights in Kent all the time it was very windy and our van was pitched with the winds full on the door side, the day before we left removed the awning, only to discover very very strong drafts coming from the fridge mainly over the top of the fridge .Reduced this by re-fitting the winter covers to the vents.

I see with interest that some of you have sealed the top with foam,is it normal foam or special self adhesive draft proof, that can be stuck to the fridge external surface.

Royston

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
This subject on draughts came up early this year and i will say again what happened about our Coachman Pastiche.If you held a tissue in front of the fridge either top or bottom it would go horizontal if it was that breezy outside.I contacted Coachman and was told it was done to specification which i replied it was against what Electrolux specified.In the end i stufferd rockwall around the sides and top but could not do 100% job as the top sliding shelf would not allow it. How ever i think that if your fridge is serviced regular there is little chance of fumes coming in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert,

I echo your sentiment regarding regular services, but it is a false conception that servicing will prevent fumes. The fact is the ALL combustion produces fumes, Good combustion produces a large percent of CO2 whilst poor combustion can produce a considerable amount of CO (the poisonous one.

Whist CO2 is not poisonous, in sufficient quantities it excludes oxygen and and has the potential to suffocate mammals.

Now in practice,it is highly unlikely that a fridge flame would produce enough fumes to compromise the safety of the caravan inhabitants, mainly because of the amount of fixed ventilation caravans have to have, But if the occupants obstruct that ventilation, then any admission of fumes into the caravan would build up and might cause a problem.

G

Both the main suppliers of fridgesnormally fitted to vans, Dometic and Thetford, have products that run on 3 power sources. These are 230 volt AC, 12 volt DC and gas, either propane or butane. It is only on gas that any exhaust fumes will be produced and these are ejected through a steel vent that either exits just behind the upper vent, or through a separate port in the vent or van wall. So if you always use EHU's on site the fumes will never be an issue. If you use gas and the wind blows the wrong way, then there could be a safety issue, which you certainly do not want.

However the ventilation around the fridge will also affect its cooling efficiency significantly and this is why both Dometic and Thetford stress the fridge should be sealed to the inside of the van. It is always going to be the case that the interior of the van is warmer than outside, even on a cold day and as it is the removal of heat via the rear fins that make the fridge work, it is obvious the greater the heat differential, the better the fridge will work. In our UK climate this is not so much of an issue but in the Med it is significant and the tales of poor fridge operation here can usually be down to this lack of sealing.

The best remedy is to get a dealer to remove the fridge and refit it with the cor4rect installation panels supplied by the fridge manufactuer. Maybe costly, but in th end the best. The DIY mehtods will certainly help but never as good.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I also have a draught coming into the van (a 2007 Eccles Jade)from the top of the fridge. Never noticed it until this year when we camped for the first time without the awning. We were strongly advised not to run the fridge on gas until this had been rectified. Took it back to the dealer for this to be attended to under guarantee and he says that there is nothing wrong. So do I pursue further or save myself the further hassle and stuff a bit of foam in the gap?

Dave

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I also have a draught coming into the van (a 2007 Eccles Jade)from the top of the fridge. Never noticed it until this year when we camped for the first time without the awning. We were strongly advised not to run the fridge on gas until this had been rectified. Took it back to the dealer for this to be attended to under guarantee and he says that there is nothing wrong. So do I pursue further or save myself the further hassle and stuff a bit of foam in the gap?

Dave
I forgot to state.

It would appear therefore that the correct installation panels (as mentioned by Scotchlad) from the manufacturer are not put in by the manufacturer?

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts