Drivel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Will the pro and anti 4x4 brigade give it a rest for "Gawds sake". Time after time we see the same old drivel being spouted,and it's spoiling a good forum.

If you want to get into a stew about motoring/caravanning issues, why not pick on something REALLY important, how about your thoughts on boy racers, or uninsured drivers, overcrowded roads, potholes, fuel at a £1 a litre. The list can go on and on, but ANYTHING other than 4X4s.

Barney.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barney

With regard to your comment about diesel/fuel prices, can anyone out there shed light on why there is such a massive difference in prices at garages yards from each other, have seen deisel at 94.9 and the dearest 101.1, from here( southport) to Blackpool ! not small independants but well known sites , we all laughed when Klarky said a pound by christmas !

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree Barney. I tow a 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue 217 with my VW Passat 1.9TDI Estate Auto. I am more than happy with this outfit, it tows like a dream and has a large boot to take the dog cage for my 3 pooches. If anyone tows with a 4x4 that is their prerogative, they have the 4x4 for a purpose unlike some townies who live by me who have no need for a 4x4 in no shape or form. I would probably have a 4x4 myself if my car wasnt up to the job but most 4x4's Ive seen, for example the Freelander, wouldn't take the dog cage. One point I will make if I can, beings Ive not posted on 4x4's before, is I dont agree with Bull Bars. They serve no purpose on the vehicles whatsoever. Thats it, my one and only post regarding that subject so I will now hush. Well at least until Kanga pipes up, heheh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed - I really am bored now as it really has all been said before. The facts are on the table - lets hope it can RIP.

And most certainly there are more important things going on - we have just been informed that there is a proposed fuel strike next Wednesday so you may want to check it out or at least make sure you have some.

Lets hope we don't have people who try to keep petrol in their wheely bin like last time. It was OK for about an hour then it melted. Emergency services were not impressed.

On a sad note Ropley where 6 people lost their lives on Wed night is not that far and I know the road well. Five young lads in a small car runs head-on into a car coming the other way. All five are dead and so is the other driver, a middle aged man with his son as passenger who has survived.

ALL cars are lethal in the wrong hands - even insurance costs of thousands of

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

I think alot lot of young lads desperately need somewhere to go where they can get this racing driving out of thier system,my friend has a lovely lad, about three years ago(aged around 14,15) him and his mate took her car out in the night,drove up and down our coast road taking turns and egging each other on,the inevitable happened,my friends son was the one behind the wheel when it crashed and the young passenger died,he went to youth offender for a year and did the full term. He has now matured into an 18 year old with a degree who persecutes himself all the time for what happened, no one can punish him more than he does himself,what he did was so wrong but typical of what goes on around the country with young lads full of testosterone,What is the answer ?

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tina

They should do what I did at 16, take it on the track.... you may kill yourself but the risk of injuring anyone else is almost non existant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Troble is Tina it is not all of them that do this. Like you our friends lad had a serious accident - tho' thank God nobody was injured but his Mums car was write-off and so was the stationary vehicle that he hit.

My friend asked his so what was he doing and it came out that "all they were doing was driving like they do everyday on their Playstations".

I lke Graham loved motosport and still do - I had a Cotton Scrambler, then a Greeves (showing my age) and took part in some schoolboy trials. Great fun. When you do it for real - there is no need to do it on the road.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
it's a pity track days aren't made more available to youngsters, when I was younger I used to race motorbikes (production racing) and all your aggression can be taken out on the track, no need then to go racing down the road. Interesting to note that Clive used to have bikes as well, have you noticed how many bikers and ex bikers are caravaners? must be a connection somewhere. I must wright to one of the bike mags and point this out then stand back and watch the backlash

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh yes Roy! = started off with a Bantam them had an Ariel Sports Arrow - went really well but oiled the plugs every 30 miles.

Then had a AJS 500 single - great - could feel the power stroke when you pulled away and was great for the female pillion passengers - at tickover they would go all unnecessary and slide off the seat.

A Norton Navigator was good fun but had one cylinder that kept cutting out that put me through a hedge when nursing it home one night when it decided to start up again all by itself.

Always lusted after a Velocette 350 or 500 single - never had one tho'

Had a few Jap bikes as a born again biker a few years ago- not the same. Roads to crowded.

Also put off by how nurses call bikers "organ donors"

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I'm a bit younger than you Clive I used to race 350 and 400 Yamaha's and all through the 70's and 80's I had all the muscle bikes, Kawasaki 900, Honda 750, Suzuki GS 1000, Kawasaki GPZ 1100. In fact Clive I've got a good Idea of how you Kanga and Daventura could resolve your differences, why dont the three of you visit one of the biking forums as our Representatives and point out the connection between bikes and caravans, I get the feeling it would make for a very good bonding exercise.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clive

I think alot lot of young lads desperately need somewhere to go where they can get this racing driving out of thier system,my friend has a lovely lad, about three years ago(aged around 14,15) him and his mate took her car out in the night,drove up and down our coast road taking turns and egging each other on,the inevitable happened,my friends son was the one behind the wheel when it crashed and the young passenger died,he went to youth offender for a year and did the full term. He has now matured into an 18 year old with a degree who persecutes himself all the time for what happened, no one can punish him more than he does himself,what he did was so wrong but typical of what goes on around the country with young lads full of testosterone,What is the answer ?
Tina I too at their age was full of testerone but people my age couldnt afford cars let alone our parents. So i did what all people of my age did and stopped when I needed glasses. :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit younger than you Clive I used to race 350 and 400 Yamaha's and all through the 70's and 80's I had all the muscle bikes, Kawasaki 900, Honda 750, Suzuki GS 1000, Kawasaki GPZ 1100. In fact Clive I've got a good Idea of how you Kanga and Daventura could resolve your differences, why dont the three of you visit one of the biking forums as our Representatives and point out the connection between bikes and caravans, I get the feeling it would make for a very good bonding exercise.
LMAAAAOOOOOOOO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What do you expect when the whole road safety strategy is based on mph. A few miles over the posted limit you are convicted but every chance of getting away with no insurance and no MOT. The Chief Constable of Durham says only 3% of accidents in Durham involve vehicles breaking the speed limit but the Government and Police have made it central to their policy, replacing traffic units with cameras.

The government seem incapable of tackling specific problems. It is well known that young males, carrying several passengers, in the evening, are most likely to be involved in accidents. How about something proactive to tackle that particular problem (and that is not banning them from getting a licence until their 21 as that will just lead to more unliscensed drivers on the road).

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
no Kanga I had the air cooled models, you could tune them better
mmmmmm not so sure about that big fella, you could chuck some tz wet barrels on an lc and a whole host of other goodies from a tz which gave a good turn of speed, which is a bit on an understatement. Did have a soft spot for the rd400 tho, handling a bit dicey mind you, I picked up a lot of RD loons as they often lost it on turn in whilst braking hard as an LC loon jockyed for position. Nice to know your an ex greb tho, so not all caravanners are boring and old as the press would have you believe.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Big Roy, were you an Elsie pilot?
know what you mean about TZ bits Kanga but if you remember I said I used to race in the production class unlimited cc and an LC with TZ barrels etc would never get past the scrutineers bay.Now an RD 400, ported, lightened crank and all the other mods that you could do would pass the scrutinneers inspection. It was a bit obvious when you got on the track though when you where running rings round all the big four strokes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina, I think I know the accident you are referring to.

The young boy killed, (Adam?) was a classmate of my son. That school year was in the process of doing their GCSE's, so I guess he would have been 15. The reality is that any of our children could have gone along with the proposed 'adventure' that night.

As a family we were very deeply shocked and saddened.

TRENDING THREADS