Drivers not prepared for winter driving.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Watching the news on TV and seeing cars either crashed or broken down at the side of the road due to the current weather conditions. I am amazed at the number of people out driving without any warm clothing with them. I saw 3 lads this morning who had lost control and skidded off of the road. What were they wearing, T-SHIRTS, NO coats, NO thick jumpers. Are these people mad? There was a girl who had flipped her car onto its roof after a collision, she had a t-shirt and thin cardigan. They can't say that they are prepared for the winter, can they?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I listened to the women on tv today from the AA i think it was, stating that after 3 years use you should be looking at changing the battery!

What a load of rubbish, i can't remember the last time i had a car battery fail, my old xtrail my lad is running, a 2004 still on its old battery for example.

Only took the car out yesterday for last minute shopping, before i had gone a 600m, one young women decided i was invisible and started reversing onto the road, a little further a older women in a bmw, decided that the right of way rule did not apply, pulled out and overtook two parked cars on her side of the road, rather than let me pass, all this with compact snow and ice.

I know i'm getting old, but lots of drivers don't see danger.

Then arriving at the supermarket, well lets just say ,billy smarts circus.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Not only are many drivers dressed for a summer picnic and out and about without a spade to dig there way out or other icy conditions equipment.

Worse still is how many of the idiots on the road abandon their cars in the most stupid places or rear end blocking half the road. Numerous cars I've seen have not been abandoned in their positions becuas of lack of traction, the drivers have obviously just had enough and dumped the car with no thought for other vehicles that need to pass.

I dragged one out of the lane to our house. Sheet ice and snow and drivers were having to dodge around the back of some thoughtless idiots car that blocked half the road on a bend.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
"So what "life skills" are taught in school" (not sure what that has to do with driving)

But none that are of any practical use as far as I can see:)

How to become a nimby "green" as grass pc wet maybe?

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I normally carry

Blanket

Shovel

Torch

Pac a mac

Tow rope

but for winter I add:

Fluorescent jacket & trousers

Wellys

Extra screen wash

Blanket

Meths stove

Kettle

Tea, coffee, milk, bicuits

Water

Never had to use it yet (but I remember when people were stuck for 12 hours on the M11) and if it's with me I probably never will.

Mike

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Quote - So what "life skills" are taught in school?

Who knows, but talking to the under 30 year old these day, we old one know nothing, we have not lived. they drive stupidly because the Xbox or Playstation has taught them they will not die, they get re-spawned to have another go?

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello, on the subject of being prepared my mother used to say " YOU KIDS HAVENT EVEN GOT THE SENSE TO COME IN OUT OF THE COLD"God rest her soul.My sister has just told me that in the midlands the police are issuing the youngsters with foil blankets to try and prevent them getting hypothermia after they come out of the pubs and clubs half naked.The best thing to do is take the caravan everywhere you go.You will be prepared then!!!!You might even make some money selling hot refreshments to those less equipped!!Its an ill wind!!.Our son has been on the road since Sunday night with a 42ton truck in the very worst of it including BASINGSTOKE!!!Yes I do worry but that is his job and he has been doing it for 19 years.

LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

Thursdays Child

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Remember the floods? Was it last year? Seems a lifetime ago.

We were part of a line of stationary traffic, as far as eye could see in both directions, somewhere North of Swindon. Nobody moved for a long time. I wondered if I should make my mobile toilet facilities available to ladies in nearby cars.

Eventually, everybody turned round and went back whence they came. May I express my thanks to all those apparently unpaid volunteers who stood in puddles and gave us directions on how to get through. Nobody in authority seemed to be bothered.

We arrived at the Severn Bridge sometime after midnight, had to queue for 20 minutes to pay our toll. Doh!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Well, I guess the lads, and other people, hadn't been warned about it being cold, so its not really their fault for not being prepared properly. They should sue for compensation.

Sark Sark Sark!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree here.

It just beggers belief that people go out in adverse weather with no thought as to what they will have to endure when the nice warm car gives up the ghost.

I prepare for winter driving in the first place by servicing the car and fitting the tyres with the deepest tread to the front wheel drive axle.

Then in the car i carry a tool kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, tow rope, spare fan belt. spare spark plugs, shovel, hi vis jacket, Set of clothes that are dry and warm, plenty of de-icer, a scraper, a fully charged satnav and conventional map, and finally a wind up torch and car charger for my mobile.

Oh don't forget a thinsulate wooly hat, as you loose a tremendous amount of heat out of your head especially if you are getting wound up about your break down.

The trouble is these days being prepared takes planning and thinking, two skills that people seem to of forgotten.

The other skill that has been forgotten is "consideration for others", If I had my car break down, I would make sure it was off the road and out of the way so that the snow plough and subsequent ambulances etc could pass without trouble. But the majority of people seem to think they can just dump their car where it stopped, forgetting that even a dead motor can be moved with the starter motor and the car in reverse or first gear for a good ten meters, which is more than enough to deposit the car off the highway and park sensibly on the grass verge. So what if you flatten the battery, the car is going nowhere with a dead motor anyway!!

So the moral to success is to think, plan, and consider other people who through preperation will go past your car and they then if they are thinking might just stop and offer you assistance and a lift to the next town to get your car recovery underway.

Steve L.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
even a dead motor can be moved with the starter motor and the car in reverse or first gear for a good ten meters,

Not if it is an automatic.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
even a dead motor can be moved with the starter motor and the car in reverse or first gear for a good ten meters,

Not if it is an automatic.

Steve W
Mine's a hybrid automatic and that can still be moved without the running engine. In fact, the gearbox does even have a reverse gear and you can only reverse electrically (with the electric motor turning the other way).

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Quote from 602 - So what "life skills" are taught in school?

When was it the responsibility of schools to teach life skills, thats the job for the parents surely. Too many people today blame the behaviour of their children on teachers, why? This is a dreadful excuse!!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi David,

You are a teacher?

The authorities take your kids off you for several hours, five days a week, make them mix with other kids who you would rather they didn't know. and maybe give them ideas that you would rather they didn't have. And the teacher's blame the parents? OK, OK, parents blaming the teacher is just as unfair.

Life skills? Hmmmmmm! First aid. Road craft (on foot, and any number of wheels). Finance. Morality. Population control. Defence of the realm. Criminal and civil law. Diet. Should I go on?

Who is to say that the parents have these skills? Nowadays children are often brought up by parents who are scarcely more than children themselves.

I suggest that schools are/could be better equiped to teach most of the above subjects than parents. My parents had to quickly learn about mortgages, and the rent act, etc, after I had left school. I learnt as quickly as they did, luckily for me.

I sent an email to Honest John, suggesting that he should suggest to his mate the Hamster, that it would be a good idea if there was a program on TV called DRIVING SCHOOL, aimed at young teenagers (Well, its worth a try). If they could be a zany as Top Gear, and avoid patronising their target audience, maybe this particular discussion wouldn't have started. ("This week we are going to discuss driving in the snow. Look what happens if....."). I'd watch it, and I bet you would too.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi 602,

Everyday is part of the learning process, we all learn something new everyday. I am no teacher, just a ordinary guy who was brought up with values. I have served in the forces, where there was discipline, teamwork and thinking about my action. I married, had 3 kids (now adults) and I taught them to respect other people, their property and good manners. At no time have I ever expected teachers to teach my kids common sense, that was our job as parents.

Too many people are influenced by television, and hero worship celebrities who do absolutely nothing for this country. Respect has to be earned, not handed out willy nilly to todays latest fad.

Your TV program called "Driving School" is a great idea, but it should be aimed children at an earlier age than teens. Education needs to start very early in life.

David

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
so what do you take in the car when the weather is bad someone asked me the other day after a fall of snow.:⇨ "NOTHING" I said "why not" was the reply because I no longer drive it in bad weather it stays where it is,

oh the joys of retirement,

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Good point David.

Like you I've learnt all my skills through training and parental tuition.

When my daughter passed her driving test (1st time), I taught her how to drive on the motorways correctly. I also taught her how to change a wheel on her car safely and how to maintain the car each week so that it remains reliable.

During this snow and ice we have all had, i have also taught her how to drive on ice and snow. Also she knows exactly how to control a car in a skid, properly.

To me that is what parenting is all about, passing your lifeskills on to your siblings so that they know how to react and behave as responssable people.

Being perpared for the worst weather always seems to of been fruitless, purely because you have the tools and the mindset to not let a few inches of snow defeat you.

Better to have a tool than be broken down in the middle of nowhere and needing that tool!!!!

Steve L.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks for courteous reply.

So you were a military man too. Have you got your UK Veterans lapel badge? Google UK VETERANS.

I bet you learnt some life skills (mentioned previously) during square bashing? And a few more during the rest of your service. Cue "Bring back National Service" :)

How about a NVQ in Parenting? Extra Child Benefit for those that get the diploma, even more for single mums under 18. Ducks to avoid flak. But we are going OT.

What extra do I carry when it snows? Not a lot, I have found that I have never needed it, and snow has never stopped me once I have started the journey ..... although it might have stopped me setting off. Hmmmmm! Long journey, I might carry a couple of blankets. Maybe a rope ..... to rescue others. Maybe a spade, if I can be bothered to find it.

Can anyone tell me? In view of all the anti-polution stuff fitted to modern cars, is it still dangerous to run your engine to keep the heater working, if you are stuck in a snow drift? There is something in my memory banks about Clarkson saying that you can no longer commit "suicide by exhaust".

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve L,

Great to at last hear a balanced reply. Your sentiments are my sentiments.

We currently live in a blame culture. "It not my fault, its someone elses!" You leave your house and you risk assess the conditions and prepare for them. The fact that people are setting out on journey's wearing light weight clothing just defies logic. "I did'nt take warm clothing because my teacher never told me to do so", seems a lame excuse to me.

David

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi 602,

Yes I did get my Veteran's lapel badge, I thought it a really great idea. However I was disappointed in the way it was delivered, in a jiffy bag and the certificate (if that is what it is meant to be) was all creased up. I should have opted for the presentation by local dignitary, maybe. I didn't do National Service, but joined the RN and did my 12. Enjoyed every moment of it. Square bashing in training, lots of it, not so much after that though. Most of my time spent as a submariner. Like you I would like to see the return of something like National Service. It would give the youngsters a good grounding, an aim, who knows, but something is needed.

Please don't think that my comments about lack of parenting skills were aimed at your posts, they are aimed at what I view as the general attitude of prople today. I agree that an NVQ in parenting would be a good idea, instead of the current situation, which seems to be an NVQ in grasping benefits! (quick duck! INCOMING!!!!)

I'm not sure about the exhaust gases of modern cars, but my guess is that the poisonous elements are still present. Maybe we could get a volunteer to test it for us, negative gas mask!!

I hope someday to be on a pitch next to you, you appear the kind of guy I would like to sit and talk to over a few jars!

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Of course, one should not keep the engine running to get or keep the inside of the car warm, regardless of whether "all the anti-pollution stuff" is fitted or not. After all, you're still chucking out loads of CO2 even with a "clean" engine. That's why it's wise to keep a couple of blankets inside (or have a stationary heater fitted to the car - still throws out CO2, but a lot less).

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Lutz,

I think the last thing on the mind of anyone who is trying to survive, would be the environment. Anyway it is CO that kills you, not CO2. I doubt anyone could afford or even want to fit a stationary heater, some lorries and landrovers and possibly some other 4x4 type vehicle may have them?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyway it is CO that kills you, not CO2.

Depends on which scientists you listen to, most seem to believe, that CO2 will end up killing us all,as one of the primary greenhouse gasses.

Anyway if it comes to a choice between keeping warm or destroying the world, then as some one who has spent 5 days without gas or electricity this last week, I am sorry but the world looses.

I always keep a full tank when the weather starts to get chilly, you never know when you are going to need it.

Steve W

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
If you are trapped inside your car in a snowdrift, with no chance of replenishing the air, then Co2 will kill as the oxygen is depleted. The normal concentration of Co2 in air is about 0.04%, very small indeed. CO is the result of incomplete combustion and in high concentrations is lethal. A potentially dangerous gas is Nitrogen, in high concentrations, if breathed, your brain senses it and sends your lungs into spasm and you die.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts