Driving through France without the caravan

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
We are driving down to Spain, through France at the beginning of June. First time without the caravan for many years. Does anyone know of any hotels on motorways in France and Spain for a night stopovers? Marilou

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Why go autoroutes? There are main equally good main roads - many formerly RN but now D numbers - that allow you to see more of France.

Best option IME is Ibis which are everywhere.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why go autoroutes? There are main equally good main roads - many formerly RN but now D numbers - that allow you to see more of France.

Best option IME is Ibis which are everywhere.
I think they would want to travel to Spain and auto routes are the quickest and best?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have used the Ibis Express, group, We always use the paege routes quicker, and in the South West normally quite cheap.

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
We are driving down to Spain, through France at the beginning of June. First time without the caravan for many years. Does anyone know of any hotels on motorways in France and Spain for a night stopovers? Marilou
Done it loads of times.

F1 are cheap, Campanile are good (and our kids always liked the desert selection in the restaurant).
In Dunkirk - Dune hotel is good value and close to the ferry terminal
If you stop at Clermont-Ferrand, there is a selection just of the exit of the A71.

Hotels.com give free nights if you book through them (1 free for every 10 nights).

And if you don't have one get a Tag. Reduced waiting at toll booths, No fighting with change or debit card on the wrong side of the car and if you feel brave drive through the fast line at 30 kmh.... Best thing I've ever subscribed for, only pay when you use it apart from a yearly subscription (think it's €8 a year).

Reactions: Marilou and Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I did one night stopovers in France for several years - either at Biaritz or Bordeaux, on my journey between Malaga and home. Formula-1 was cheap and cheerful. Premiere Classe was just that much better. Both Premiere Classe stops were close to the motorway and could be booked online in the UK

Reactions: Marilou
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just a word of warning regarding cheap hotels - in particular the Formula-1 variety.

Some years ago when we had a van that we left on the Mediterranean we used cheap hotels on the journey there and back. This was during school holidays and to save time we travelled on the motorways and paid the price.

The important thing to remember is because they are cheap they attract a clientele that would not normally be found in more expensive options.

We have had cheap trouble free stops but also a couple that were anything but!

On one occasion we parked our brand new car expecting it to be safe in the car park. The following morning we saw that both passenger doors, front and rear. had dents in them. This could only have been done by the family who parked next to us - either they hated the British or they just felt like denting a brand new shiny car by banging their doors against our car. Not all cars found at F1 hotels are cared for and some are anything but.

Secondly (as far as I know), F1 hotels have a washbasin in the room but showers and toilets are communal. Nothing more to say really - use your imagination.

I would use Premiere Class or Ibis if wanting a cheap overnight stop now.

Reactions: Marilou
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Done it loads of times.

F1 are cheap, Campanile are good (and our kids always liked the desert selection in the restaurant).
In Dunkirk - Dune hotel is good value and close to the ferry terminal
If you stop at Clermont-Ferrand, there is a selection just of the exit of the A71.

Hotels.com give free nights if you book through them (1 free for every 10 nights).

And if you don't have one get a Tag. Reduced waiting at toll booths, No fighting with change or debit card on the wrong side of the car and if you feel brave drive through the fast line at 30 kmh.... Best thing I've ever subscribed for, only pay when you use it apart from a yearly subscription (think it's €8 a year).
We took your advice and bought two Tags, one for France and one for Spain. The best thing we have done. It was great not having to worry about having enough change or risking my life hanging out the window to get a ticket. Would recommend it to anyone doing that journey.

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Just returning from France today after getting go ahead from doctor 2 weeks ago. Went without the caravan and was surprised to find that our Atmb Tag still works despite being over seven years old and not being used since 2018.
Used Campaniles on way down and back and have been very satisfied.
Not sure that you need a tag for Spain now as their motorways are free.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just returning from France today after getting go ahead from doctor 2 weeks ago. Went without the caravan and was surprised to find that our Atmb Tag still works despite being over seven years old and not being used since 2018.
When did they remove the tolls from their motorways?

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
We drove the length of Spain and the only tolls were on the Costa del Sol where we were staying. It was still handy to have the Tag for when we were out and about.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts