Driving to the arcachon area

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
We will be departing from essex driving down to the arcachon area just

below bordeaux? which is the best route and how long should this journey take using variuos cross channel crossings.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We are doing this trip at the end of next july, staying at La Rive, Biscarosse.

WE live near cambridge and are driving to portsmouth during the afternoon and catching the 20.30 ferry to St.Malo, arriving in St Malo around 8am. We are then driving direct to Biscarosse that day, hope to arive by late afternoon/early evening. We will be towing our series 6 pageant champagne, and also my parents are tagging along as well with there caravan. Should be good.

Hope this is helpfull,

Darren.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Graham - you can use mappy.com or viamichelin.com to calculate a route. Select a port, choose your destination, and you can then select options - toll roads, non-toll, towing, etc. Both sites will calculate a route, and tell you the cost of tolls, and approximately how much it will cost in petrol, as well as how long the driving time will be. You can do this from the various ports, and compare the costs to the prices of the ferry crossings. Hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi graham beautifull small town biriliant beach from calais its 579 mileson the A16/28 ref tom tom i would prefer to do this in 2 stages with a stop over about half way around mont saint michel there.s a good site at Ponsteron all the best peter h

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Darren thats a fair pull in a day,but lots of autoroute.

I see that you are being joined by the folks with their van we did this in the past in fact the once there were three of us and what we found really handy was we kitted ourselves with cheap CB radios (loads on ebay) and this meant that we were in contact with one another and did not need to travel right behind each other and handy if the one at the back wanted a comfort break or fuel etc and the one at the front could give the other prior warning of junctions etc you could use mobile phones these days but CB is free.Just a thought.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Darren thats a fair pull in a day,but lots of autoroute.

I see that you are being joined by the folks with their van we did this in the past in fact the once there were three of us and what we found really handy was we kitted ourselves with cheap CB radios (loads on ebay) and this meant that we were in contact with one another and did not need to travel right behind each other and handy if the one at the back wanted a comfort break or fuel etc and the one at the front could give the other prior warning of junctions etc you could use mobile phones these days but CB is free.Just a thought.
HI

We had already spoken about the two way radio idea, think this is something we will definatly do, you can pick them up quite cheap, will proberbly pay for itself if it means saving on mobile cost's. I know its a fair pull in one day but only about 400 miles on good roads, its nearlly that far fo us if we go down to west cornwall in one drive on our overcrowded roads. I'm sur we will be fine.

Cheers for now

Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts