Drying towels

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, just arrived back from a graet 8 days at the 'Old Brick Kilns' site in Norfolk, but now it is Autumn there is the problem of getting the towels dry. Has anyone any details of any electrical towel rails or airers that are not to heavy and have relatively low power consumption say less tahn 200 watts.

Other Clive

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

I can't help you on the low power towel rail or aier.

However, what I do to dry our towels (as we always seem to use more than anyone else) and the dogs have their own towels too, is put a clothes horse in the awning and place an electric fan heater (on the floor and situated not too close, obviously. Even running at 1KW, it does a great job of drying towels. If your awning poles are substantial, you could hang a couple of towels from the horizontal poles and place the fan on the floor near the towels (but not underneath them) and the rising heat will dry them perfectly well. Please remember not to leave the heater unattended as it could become a fire risk. Halogen heaters (try to use the sort that turn off if knocked) in my opinion, do not offer such good drying power as the heat is effected differently.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use an extendable shower rail the type you use in the bathroom at home. I have an end bathroom in the caravan and just extend the rail accross the whole width just below roof level and tighten it up. Then I just hang the towels over that and they dry in the day while we are out, or even when we are in if the heating is on or the sun warms the van.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
The previous owner of our van installed a small 200 watt `tube` heater across the rear wall of the van, about a foot of the floor.This gives a gentle background heat, and as there is a full width lipped shelf above it is easy to securely peg towels above it.

Except in summer, we tend to leave this on most of the time with the roof vent open to prevent a condensation build-up. It`s nice to always have warm, dry towels.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
We have a circular plastic wheel-like device (30cm diameter) with two rows of plastic pegs - 8 around the outer edge and 6 around the inner 'rim'. This is suspended like a chandelier from the central 'sky light' and our towels are allowed to air naturally. With the Space Heater 'on' they quite quickly. This is a simple and economical solution.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

We caravan alll the year and drying towels was a problem until we discovered camping towels in the outdoor shops, millets or Blacks. They come in various sizes from hand towel to bath sheet and dry very quickly with little heat. They are not the same as a terry type towel but they are always dry and easy to wash. Another plus is that they are very light.

Hope this helps.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I think these towels will be of the microfibre type and you are right they dry very quickly - they also seem to take the water off your body rather better than a conventional towel.

The earlier comment about the drying difference between halogen heaers and blow heaters is correct, halogen heaters only use radiant heat so only give warmth to surfaces within sight of the heater, a blower circulating warm air would be more effective.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive - nothing to do with your post - but we have booked the old brick kilns at easter. How did you rate it. We are booked on the CC Heydons Meadow part! Any decent pubs close by? What is access like - I am told its narrow for half mile?

Thanks in advance.

John

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
John

We went to Brick Kilns a couple of years ago,lovely peaceful site but a drive to the nearest pub

We were in the main part but wandered over to the Cl and it looked really nice.lovely spacious pitches

The access road is quite long and very narrow in most parts not wide enough for 2 cars,some passing places but really only for cars,which was why there was a strict policy on arriving and leaving to avoid any problems

Gill

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

I agree with the above comments on the Old Brick Kilns site. The road should not be a problem as it is not so narrow to risk scratching the van, and you can get decent views down to the various bends or passing spots. The site is very well maintained with a useful shop and very friendly owners/staff. THe CC CL pitches are the most expensive on the site and are well spaced with hedges between each one. Going back over New Year we have opted for one of the site pitches as there is more to see! Nearby (5 mins by car) is a Thai restaurant with good take away, a saefood restaurant and a local pub with food. The near by villages are all 'with pub' and the site does have a good restuarant but I don't know the days that it opens in season.

Have a good time.

Other Clive

Nov 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I use a telescopic shower rail in the bathroom and put on the blower air heating and close all the other vents and leave it on until dry , be it at night or during the day.when everything is dry i put the rail back in the wardrode and have a nice tidy washroom again

Barry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts