Dusty You Plonker😄😄

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two 25 litre containers at home cheap as chips. Windscreen Wash and Adblu. That’s right. I put 25 litres of WW into the adblu tank😡😡😡With help from Halfords bought a pump that works off the drill, . All pumped out this morning. Ignition not been turned on nor engine started. Waiting for my local mechanic and his lap top , Tank remains empty pending his advice. You can only reach the drain plug by removing the massive exhaust box. Well peed off

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Big oops. Hope it can be sorted without resorting to having the exhaust box off. Would another fill with Adblue be useful to further dilute any residual WW, then pump out a fill again.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Big oops. Hope it can be sorted without resorting to having the exhaust box off. Would another fill with Adblue be useful to further dilute any residual WW, then pump out a fill again.
That could be the case. Good job I have loads of it. From what I read as long as the sensor and pump haven’t got contaminated should be ok . We all know what Adblue is urea formaldehyde . Hutch I may need you later today after your afternoon session 🤪🤪

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That could be the case. Good job I have loads of it. From what I read as long as the sensor and pump haven’t got contaminated should be ok . We all know what Adblue is urea formaldehyde . Hutch I may need you later today after your afternoon session 🤪🤪
I will be of no use to you at the moment, I have been layed up with a dose of the "Flambards" since Sunday.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Using one of these https://www.halfords.com/tools/powe...tool-accessories/laser-drill-pump-221959.html 99.99%of the WW was removed. Took about 20 minutes.Left the tank open all day. My mechanic came round refilled to the brim with clean adblu. Started her up and so far so good. He’s optimistic as I never turned on the ignition nor engine no contamination of the sensors or pump has happened . Any WW residue that may have remained would have been heavily diluted with Adblue so no worries. I just can’t believe I did that 🤬

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Two 25 litre containers at home cheap as chips. Windscreen Wash and Adblu. That’s right. I put 25 litres of WW into the adblu tank😡😡😡With help from Halfords bought a pump that works off the drill, . All pumped out this morning. Ignition not been turned on nor engine started. Waiting for my local mechanic and his lap top , Tank remains empty pending his advice. You can only reach the drain plug by removing the massive exhaust box. Well peed off
When you realised, did you say "oops"?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I could make a comment about Specsavers, but it may not be appropriate in the circumstances.

As a matter of interest where did you buy your Adblue and if yopu don't mind me asking what sort of price did you pay for it at the time as it has to be cheaper than paying for it at the pump? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I could make a comment about Specsavers, but it may not be appropriate in the circumstances.

As a matter of interest where did you buy your Adblue and if yopu don't mind me asking what sort of price did you pay for it at the time as it has to be cheaper than paying for it at the pump? Thanks.
Got mine from Screwfix sell Adblue 10 litres for £20.49
Further away was
B&Q 10 litres £16.00
Wickes 10 litres£18.00.
Pouring direct from these big containers is difficult so I use a battery powered pump

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reading up on the DEF in my hand book it states the following;

Never add anything other than DEF to the tank – especially any form of hydrocarbon such as diesel fuel, fuel system additives, gasoline, or any other petroleum-based product. Even a very small amount of these, less than 100 parts per million or less than 1 oz. (30 ml) per 78 gallons(295 liters) will contaminate the entire DEF system and will require replacement. If owners use a container, funnel or nozzle when refilling the tank, it should either be new or one that is has only been used for adding DEF.

Scary stuff!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks DD. Anyone know the price per litre at a pump?
Never seen one . Googled BP and surprisingly few sell it at the pump.

Why do the Americans call it Diesel Exhaust Fluid? There again itbdoes explain what it is . Adblue means nothing😎
The WW I used has no hydrocarbons so I am happy 🤞🤞no long term damage

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How often do you have to add, the adblue, I thought it was a couple of thousand miles.
Apparently you use about 1 litre of every 600 miles?

Hi Dusty made a note of those places my new car takes Adblue and only around the corner
When the car goes in for its annual service, part of the servcie should be topping up the Adblue so no need for you to shop around and do it yourself?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apparently you use about 1 litre of every 600 miles?

When the car goes in for its annual service, part of the servcie should be topping up the Adblue so no need for you to shop around and do it yourself?
1. More Adblue is used whilst towing
2. Yes , but I didn’t tell you my mechanic also tops it up at the annual service.
VW say my consumption is between expected to be 1.5 and 2.8 litres of AdBlue per 600miles

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
1. More Adblue is used whilst towing
2. Yes , but I didn’t tell you my mechanic also tops it up at the annual service.
VW say my consumption is between expected to be 1.5 and 2.8 litres of AdBlue per 600miles
I have no idea how much my Jeep 3.0l would use when towing. It has a 30l Adblue tank which was topped up last year in August and I have done 5385 miles since and 587 miles towing our caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have no idea how much my Jeep 3.0l would use when towing. It has a 30l Adblue tank which was topped up last year in August and I have done 5385 miles since and 587 miles towing our caravan.
Look in the handbook. It will tell there is a low DEF warning light on the dash. When it comes on you have 1500 miles or so within which to fill up. If you ignore ,engine stops and needs dealer ecu resetting. As a matter of course I fill l mine up before a long run and usually six months after the annual service. How much does your dealer charge you for the DEF?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Look in the handbook. It will tell there is a low DEF warning light on the dash. When it comes on you have 1500 miles or so within which to fill up. If you ignore ,engine stops and needs dealer ecu resetting. As a matter of course I fill l mine up before a long run and usually six months after the annual service. How much does your dealer charge you for the DEF?
Yep I will get all the warning lights when my diesel exhaust fluid is low, but like you I would prefer to make sure that it is full before setting off on a long journey especially after 5000 miles.

Anyone know why they call Diesel Exhaust Fluid Adblue? I also wonder if it is known by other names in other countries?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts