Dusty You Plonker😄😄

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yep I will get all the warning lights when my diesel exhaust fluid is low, but like you I would prefer to make sure that it is full before setting off on a long journey especially after 5000 miles.

Anyone know why they call Diesel Exhaust Fluid Adblue? I also wonder if it is known by other names in other countries?
Yes .
DEF is American.
The term AdBlueis a worldwide trademark of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) relating to DEF produced in accordance with the ISO 22241 specifications.
I googled that 😜

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
1. More Adblue is used whilst towing
2. Yes , but I didn’t tell you my mechanic also tops it up at the annual service.
VW say my consumption is between expected to be 1.5 and 2.8 litres of AdBlue per 600miles
Solo my Adblue consumption is 500-600 miles/litre but towing is much more, can be less than 200 miles/litre - the Touareg's tank is 19.5 litres and the system starts issuing messages when there's about 5 litres left - I top up the tank when I estimate I've used 10 litres.

Perversely, topping up the Adblue isn't a listed service task in the UK - dealers will do it for a fixed price/litre but need to be asked.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Solo my Adblue consumption is 500-600 miles/litre but towing is much more, can be less than 200 miles/litre - the Touareg's tank is 19.5 litres and the system starts issuing messages when there's about 5 litres left - I top up the tank when I estimate I've used 10 litres.

Perversely, topping up the Adblue isn't a listed service task in the UK - dealers will do it for a fixed price/litre but need to be asked.
It is listed on the Jeep servicing schedule.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We bought a big container of Ad blue when it was on offer somewhere, then promptly sold the Discovery Sport and bought a Merc that didn’t need it! 😲 Still in our shed. Tried to give it to the immediate neighbours but they don’t use it either.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We bought a big container of Ad blue when it was on offer somewhere, then promptly sold the Discovery Sport and bought a Merc that didn’t need it! 😲 Still in our shed. Tried to give it to the immediate neighbours but they don’t use it either.
mel
It has a value. Local buy and sell? It doesn‘t go off. Someone will take it🤞

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You’re right. 6 months if opened 12 months of unopened. I need to check the containersI bought last week for a use by date

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you use about 1 litre of every 600 miles?

When the car goes in for its annual service, part of the servcie should be topping up the Adblue so no need for you to shop around and do it yourself?
Well it depends on which comes sooner my new car does not go in for a service until it two years old .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well it depends on which comes sooner my new car does not go in for a service until it two years old .
Which means the Adblue in your tank will be one year at least out of date. The Adblue I bought last week looks like this. Note the loose label on the cap dated April 2023. But says nothing when it must be used by. Confused ?

IMG_5608.jpegIMG_5607.jpegIMG_5606.jpeg

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which means the Adblue in your tank will be one year at least out of date. The Adblue I bought last week looks like this. Note the loose label on the cap dated April 2023. But says nothing when it must be used by. Confused ?

View attachment 4739View attachment 4740View attachment 4741
Some sites advise 12 months from DOM if still sealed and 6 months if container is opened. But there must be lots of diesel owners that do low mileage per annum and the adblue is in the cars tank far longer than 6 months. Just another thing to fret about…… DPF, SCR, DMF etc. 😂

The AA advice seems pragmatic.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Adblue has a high proportion of urea in water urea being non gaseous I wonder why there is a supposed but not clearly explained shelf life?

My VW has a “Bluemotion “badge. The dealer didn’t know what it meant . The Kia has “BlueEco” badge . Beachball’s new motor is “EcoBlue”
Enough to give anyone a dose of the Blues😜😜 What do these blue badges mean? Surely not♿️♿️

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Adblue has a high proportion of urea in water urea being non gaseous I wonder why there is a supposed but not clearly explained shelf life?

My VW has a “Bluemotion “badge. The dealer didn’t know what it meant . The Kia has “BlueEco” badge . Beachball’s new motor is “EcoBlue”
Enough to give anyone a dose of the Blues😜😜 What do these blue badges mean? Surely not♿️♿️
VW Bluemotion consists of - 1) Engine Stop/Start - 2) Smart Alternator - 3) Low Rolling Resistance Tyres - 4) Aerodynamics - 5) Engine/transmission features - not all models have all options. https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/volkswagen-bluemotion-explained

I've no idea why it's blue, not green

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From the Shell website.

WHAT IS THE SHELF-LIFE OF ADBLUE®?
The shelf-life of AdBlue ® should last for up to 12 months as long as it is stored in the correct manner (please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet and the labelling on the packed AdBlue ® container). AdBlue ® should not be kept in direct sunlight, and should not be stored in temperatures over 30°C or under –11°C when it will freeze.

The above makes you wonder about a vehicle where the Adblue is not topped up for two years? And even if you do top it up i.e. 30l tank and you only need to put in 10l after a year, there will still be 20l of the old Adblue left in the tank. Could this cause expensive repairs to the system as the Adblue is past its expiration date?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From the Shell website.

The shelf-life of AdBlue ® should last for up to 12 months as long as it is stored in the correct manner (please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet and the labelling on the packed AdBlue ® container). AdBlue ® should not be kept in direct sunlight, and should not be stored in temperatures over 30°C or under –11°C when it will freeze.

The above makes you wonder about a vehicle where the Adblue is not topped up for two years? And even if you do top it up i.e. 30l tank and you only need to put in 10l after a year, there will still be 20l of the old Adblue left in the tank. Could this cause expensive repairs to the system as the Adblue is past its expiration date?

With those temperature spans I wonder how it manages in Canada, where Summer temperatures can and do exceed 30deg C, and Winter below minus 11 deg C. Lots of cars live outside, with only sump heater in winter.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From the Shell website.

On the service schedule for VW Touaregs sold in North America, the Adblue should be emptied and refilled with fresh Adblue every 2 years - there's no mention on the service schedule for Touaregs sold here - mind you, they have far more problems with the Adblue system on Touaregs than we do here, which may be down to poor quality Adblue over there.
With those temperature spans I wonder how it manages in Canada, where Summer temperatures can and do exceed 30deg C, and Winter below minus 11 deg C. Lots of cars live outside, with only sump heater in winter.
Adblue tanks have a heater which is switched on in colder conditions - but it can still go below -11C overnight in places.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On the service schedule for VW Touaregs sold in North America, the Adblue should be emptied and refilled with fresh Adblue every 2 years - there's no mention on the service schedule for Touaregs sold here - mind you, they have far more problems with the Adblue system on Touaregs than we do here, which may be down to poor quality Adblue over there.

Adblue tanks have a heater which is switched on in colder conditions - but it can still go below -11C overnight in places.
A friend of mine who resides in Anchorage, Alaska, sent me a photo at the start of this month, stating their, weather report was for Rain, so it's not just the BBC that gets it wrong.
VideoCapture_20230504-071622.jpg

Get the Adblue heater on again.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Had a Hymer S520 some years ago and only had it for couple of weeks when I filled up the diesel tank with water. Arranged for Mercedes garage to pick it up. Was amazed at the size of breakdown truck when it came.At one point he could not turn so had to go wrong side of keep left bollards . Eye wattering price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts