Dynamic pricing

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Do either of the main caravan clubs still operate dynamic pricing?
I was staying at a site last year for 3 nights. The day before we were due to leave we asked if we could stay for another night. We were told yes so we were ready to pay when we were told the price which was double per night that we had paid per night for the 3 days previously.

We then decided to cancel but we were told we owe a £20 cancellation fee even though we hadn't paid.
It was resolved and we left the next day.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Never heard of the practice although some sites are more expensive for the weekend nights - or maybe cheaper midweek to encourage occupancy when the sites are likely have more spaces! A bit of ‘glass half full or half empty’ depending on your viewpoint!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How? you didn't tell us how it was resolved? what actually happened? Did you pay the cancellation charge, or did the site clear the charge?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A bit of a cheek asking to pay a cancellation fee. We are at new Forest CAMC at present and every day they have had sign up begging people to stay another night. And here is us thinking of leaving a day earlier than planned. LOL!

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
How? you didn't tell us how it was resolved? what actually happened? Did you pay the cancellation charge, or did the site clear the charge?
The warden had problems cancelling the booking and the cancellation fee. A "the computer says no" type of situation. After a few minutes he managed to cancel the booking and the cancellation fee. So we didn't stay the extra night.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The warden had problems cancelling the booking and the cancellation fee. A "the computer says no" type of situation. After a few minutes he managed to cancel the booking and the cancellation fee. So we didn't stay the extra night.
We always ask the price before handing any money over. Once bitten, twice shy!

Reactions: Danddandy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
AI has a place but as demonstrated it “ cannot think on its feet”.

I came up against a brick wall on trying to book a continuous 7 nights in Sutherland.

A phone call to the site owner. He juggled the one and two night stayers and we now have a blue chip panoramic view FSP for or 7 nights.

Reactions: Danddandy
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
..... and the site lost the fee for an extra night (unless they managed to let it to someone else, doubtful with only a day's notice). I guess the warden didn't have the authority to give you the extra night at the same rate you paid for the previous nights........... everyone loses.

Reactions: Danddandy and Hutch
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
..... and the site lost the fee for an extra night (unless they managed to let it to someone else, doubtful with only a day's notice). I guess the warden didn't have the authority to give you the extra night at the same rate you paid for the previous nights........... everyone loses.
Dynamic pricing at its worst. . . Everyone loses. . But it could be the computer was not fast enough to give the best result at the instant of the request. .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dynamic pricing at its worst. . . Everyone loses. . But it could be the computer was not fast enough to give the best result at the instant of the request. .
The computer would be fast enough, it's the programme that was not working in a human friendly way.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
You could have the fastest computer in the world but if it has to connect to other servers, then the link maybe slow or the servers overloaded.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just went to book 4 nights at St.Neots C&CC , for next week, so with over 55 discount, it's £204, sorry club that's too much for a grass pitch.
We really are thinking about giving up this caravanning.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just went to book 4 nights at St.Neots C&CC , for next week, so with over 55 discount, it's £204, sorry club that's too much for a grass pitch.

Bank holiday week we are on a CL with Hardstanding and FSPs for £22 a night plus metered electricity ( so about £27 a night in total, give or take). C&CC and CAMC have lost the plot.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bank holiday week we are on a CL with Hardstanding and FSPs for £22 a night plus metered electricity ( so about £27 a night in total, give or take). C&CC and CAMC have lost the plot.
Mel
I fully agree Mel, unfortunately we are miles from any decent Cl/CS pitches,
North Beds / Mid Bucks.
Just being grumpy.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I fully agree Mel, unfortunately we are miles from any decent Cl/CS pitches,
North Beds / Mid Bucks.
Just being grumpy.
What are you looking for on a site? Just had a quick look around the St. Neots area and the first 3 CL's I looked at had 5 star reviews. £18-£25 per night.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Probably cheaper to book into a nearby commercial site. If we cannot get a seasonal pitch for next year we will probably sell the caravan and also the Jeep.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch
See this . Next week 4 nights FSP £140. And it has a restaurant and BAR on site . Very close to you too👍👍

Reactions: Mel
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We met someone at Tesco at Bridlington he been stopping on a site called Beacon House Flamborough with the Camping and Caravanning Club for the past 4 weeks it priced from £21 to £26 what i thought was excellent.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is the over 55 discount applicable in High season?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a stream of family issues and couldn’t plan any get always so in 2014 sold everything including the car. Then in 2017 we re started caravanning but events once again conspired to make planning very difficult. 2018-19 was down to 2-3 short trips as my father was ill and I had to sort out his house etc place him in cars home and regular long distance visits. Then Covid arrived and we managed a couple of short local trips in Autumn 2020 as things eased. 2021 saw us in Yorkshire in absolutely dire weather with a further lockdown that eased on May 17 th. But the pub next door to the CL decided not to reopen. The dogs were 15 and not able to do longer walks plus tummy upsets meant more time at the local vets. All in all not a good spell. In parallel our daughter was studying for her nursing degree whilst working 35 hrs too, and granddaughter found sixth form difficult. So all in all we decided since we weren’t having much use of the caravan it should go.

Pleased to say we have exited the tunnel. Daughter gained her degree and is now enjoying her job as a mental health nurse, granddaughter took to college studies and has done brilliantly. We have a new dog that gets me out even in dire weather. She comes on holiday with us, and we are training her in kennels so we can go away without her. Our holidays since giving up the caravan have been a mix of hotels, cottages and statics. Three booked between now and end of November including Diwali in Leicester. Currently mulling a trip to India again for February 2025 but need to see how dog settles to kennels. Although granddaughter could move in to look after her.

So it wasn’t an easy decision, fortunately we are both not restricted by medical issues, even my recently diagnosed post TURP prostate cancer is thought to be low grade. Jury still out on that one though. First time in my life I’ve been happy to settle for a low grade!

Do we miss the caravan. Yes, but life has moved on and “ damp or axle anxiety “ isn’t a feature any longer. 😂

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts