Ebay Message

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've just sold s TomTom SatNav that belonged to my recently deceased mother in law.
It was sold as sale price or highest offer. I was offered £9 under sale price but accepted that offer plus the cost of postage.

Contacting the buyer to confirm details this is part of the response I received.:

Hi John, ...........................................
Yes. please can you post it, we live in Woking in Surrey. We have sat nav in both of our Porsches but also have a civic that we use for local journeys or if the weather is bad. Our daughter has taken the Tom Tom out of that to supplement the sat nav in her SLK since Tom Tom is far more address specific than the German system in her car, which only takes her to the start of the street, and not the actual street address. So it looks like we need a Tom Tom for the civic again!
Thanks
Grahamm

Suppose he can spell his name but that aside you (well I) have to wonder why the detail! "Yes, please post" would have sufficed.
Maybe it's all in my head.
Obviously it's totally unimportant but was wondering if others receiving such an unsolicited account of the family ownership of expensive cars feel - well - amused!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Be interested to hear how the sale pans out. At that price I would have donated it to one of our local charities as P&P is a hassle for such low value item.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
L
Be interested to hear how the sale pans out. At that price I would have donated it to one of our local charities as P&P is a hassle for such low value item.
We don’t know the sale price, or postage which was extra.

I just sold two near identical iPads. Apple affered £155 each in P/X. I put them on eBay to start at £220 plus £7 p&p. One reached £243 with 6 bids, the other just the £220, one bid.

The winner of the higher one was polite and comunitive. The other nothing.

Ebay grabbed 15%. But I was still near to £100 in pocket. Happy days.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
L

We don’t know the sale price, or postage which was extra.

I just sold two near identical iPads. Apple affered £155 each in P/X. I put them on eBay to start at £220 plus £7 p&p. One reached £243 with 6 bids, the other just the £220, one bid.

The winner of the higher one was polite and comunitive. The other nothing.

Ebay grabbed 15%. But I was still near to £100 in pocket. Happy days.

John
Oops I misread £9 for the offered price.

I have used EBay many times and never had a problem in selling or buying. Biggest disappointment was a Rangemaster Classic range that only fetched £72 despite being A1. The lady who purchased it paid around £270 to have it delivered to her house in London. Swings and roundabouts.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
As Jcloughie notes the initial offer was £9.00 under the set price to buy now.
I was actually given the cost of postage as I tried to explain so the amount paid was only £5.00 under the initial asking price.
I was satisfied.
However I wasn't looking for comments on the price but rather the response quoted.
The interesting part of the whole episode was, at least to me, the content of the purchaser's reply. I'm wondering why he didn't tell me the value of his house!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As Jcloughie notes the initial offer was £9.00 under the set price to buy now.
I was actually given the cost of postage as I tried to explain so the amount paid was only £5.00 under the initial asking price.
I was satisfied.
However I wasn't looking for comments on the price but rather the response quoted.
The interesting part of the whole episode was, at least to me, the content of the purchaser's reply. I'm wondering why he didn't tell me the value of his house!
He was just so happy to talk about his Porsches and Mercedes. (So would I 😛).

John

• Haha
Reactions: Johnb
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've just sold s TomTom SatNav that belonged to my recently deceased mother in law.
It was sold as sale price or highest offer. I was offered £9 under sale price but accepted that offer plus the cost of postage.

Contacting the buyer to confirm details this is part of the response I received.:

Hi John, ...........................................
Yes. please can you post it, we live in Woking in Surrey. We have sat nav in both of our Porsches but also have a civic that we use for local journeys or if the weather is bad. Our daughter has taken the Tom Tom out of that to supplement the sat nav in her SLK since Tom Tom is far more address specific than the German system in her car, which only takes her to the start of the street, and not the actual street address. So it looks like we need a Tom Tom for the civic again!
Thanks
Grahamm

Suppose he can spell his name but that aside you (well I) have to wonder why the detail! "Yes, please post" would have sufficed.
Maybe it's all in my head.
Obviously it's totally unimportant but was wondering if others receiving such an unsolicited account of the family ownership of expensive cars feel - well - amused!
I think I’d be somewhat perplexed as the buyer only has to offer an acceptable price, he’s not looking to acquire something on Freecycle. Hope it works out okay.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought a bulldog hitchlock off ebay the seller included the postage we agreed a best offer price and it was sent next day delivery so we have never had any problems buying on here

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I think I’d be somewhat perplexed as the buyer only has to offer an acceptable price, he’s not looking to acquire something on Freecycle. Hope it works out okay.
He did offer a reasonable price - £9.00 under the "buy it now" price. I made a counter offer that reduced the deficit to £5.00 - I was satisfied with that - the value was over £100 for a high quality TomTom.

For the benefit of others who use Ebay (Ignore if you have different strategy).

I'm not a regular user of the service but I have found that when listing as "buy it now" or "nearest offer" making a "counter offer" or simply refusing the bid gets results.

Most people who make an offer clearly want the thing but as cheap as possible. My experience has been to "call them out" and each time that has worked - instant reply and sale made. ;)

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
He did offer a reasonable price - £9.00 under the "buy it now" price. I made a counter offer that reduced the deficit to £5.00 - I was satisfied with that - the value was over £100 for a high quality TomTom.

I'm not a regular user of the service but I have found that when listing as "buy it now" or "nearest offer" making a "counter offer" or simply refusing the bid gets results.

Most people who make an offer clearly want the thing but as cheap as possible. My experience has been to "call them out" and each time that has worked - instant reply and sale made. ;)
That's generally how I've found it works (as a buyer). I make an offer 10% under the buy it now price and hope to get it 5% under (buy it now £100, I offer £90 and hope to get it for £95). I have had a couple of instances where my initial offer and second offer have been simply rejected. As a point of principle I don't buy the item - why advertise with "make offer" if they're not willing to accept an offer 5% under the buy it now price?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I take a similar approach when my daughter posts my stuff on the local Facebook market place site. Some offers are absolutely derisory and these get a counter offer from us but sometimes the person offering just doesn’t respond. We always try and pitch our asking price on EBay, FB, Gumtree etc at a fair price with some margin to reduce. But we don’t plan on supporting those who want to drive you down to possibly sell the items on again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I sold some tyres on eBay and they were collected by the buyer however eBay would not release the money for 10 days. A worrying 10 days in case the buyer complained, kept the tyres and got a refund.

I shut down the eBay account that I had held for probably over 20 years as hardly used it anyway.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I'm now reluctant to sell anything on EBay, it just seems to be too much hassle with everything favouring the buyer and precious little protection for the seller. I've had an EBay account for 20 years and at the start it was a bit like an online car-boot sale but now is morphing into something like a cross between Amazon and Ali-express.

TRENDING THREADS