Elddis Elsuion (2001) awning rail replacement...

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone...

Just wondering if any of you would know which type of awning rail would be on my caravan..had a slight accident and scrapped about a foot long on the driver side on the first outing (replacement length is just over 8 feet) a few weeks ago...was thinking of replacing it at some stage...from what Ive read its possibly a bit of a time consuming job.

Are these screwed onto the van..from the front it looks like they are stuck on..? Ive read you need to use a certain type of mastic as well...?

We havent got an awning yet but hopefully will get one but would use it on the passenger side ie where the door and awning light is..this side thankfully is ok. So its basically to take the bad look off it on that side. Luckily didnt damage the body at all.

There do seem to be different shapes of awning rail from what Ive seen online.

Thanks for any help...

James

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a fairly long job and you really need the caravan under cover. Mastic is needed and the correct one will be available at any caravan dealer or parts supplier. The awning rail might still be available, I would check with an Eldiss dealer but given the age it might be difficult.
If you want to tackle the job the best bet is to get a copy of Haynes Caravan Manual and see if you feel up to it. If the rail is just crushed you might be able to open it with a broad screwdriver. Their is a tool for it though which you might be able to find.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Raywood said:
If the rail is just crushed you might be able to open it with a broad screwdriver. Their is a tool for it though which you might be able to find.

I had some minor damage to a lower skirt rail some time ago and tried using the 'special tool' to open it. My attempt was not very successful as I didn't want to hit the tool too hard, as I thought I might knock the rail completely off. :(

See awning rail spreader tool here.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
James, just try a pair o f flat blade plyers an a screw driver, work slowly to get then rail back to shape. Somebody flattened my lower rail, :S , me but all worked back to shape.all part of the fun of Caravanning.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
If the damage is only a foot long I think you should do what Hutch says and have a go at repairing it, the problem with removing awning rails are the screws that hold the awning rail in place in a lot of cases the heads snap off when trying to remove them, also if you are removing a large section of rail it sometimes requires two bodies and somewhere to place it on, the rail tends to bend a little and that is from experience,

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Cheers everyone for the replies...

Myself and my dad had a go at bending it back out - took some of the bad look off it but still noticeable.

Yes I emailed Elddis but they said given the age they couldn't supply a rail they did give me a list of suppliers but they all in England and I'm over here in N Ireland.

I wouldn't want to start this and then run into loads of trouble and end up in a worse situation.

Right now the rail is on well and there are no leaks or gaps etc..I was lucky in that the rail took all the damage van is fine.

I'll get some pics of it in a few days time and post them on here and let you see what I mean. I was gonna take some anyway to try and see if I can get a match online - but again if its gonna be a big job trying to straighten it out a bit might be a better alternative. Damage is only a foot long and the rail is actually over 8 feet in length.

Thanks - back on in a few days...

Cheers

James

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Raywood said:
If the rail is just crushed you might be able to open it with a broad screwdriver. Their is a tool for it though which you might be able to find.

I had some minor damage to a lower skirt rail some time ago and tried using the 'special tool' to open it. My attempt was not very successful as I didn't want to hit the tool too hard, as I thought I might knock the rail completely off. :(

See awning rail spreader tool here.

Sorry I never noticed this link the last time I was reading my post - this might be handy though getting the rail flat again might be tricky - here's a few pics of the damage: Even if I could take the bad look of it...

Awning Rail Damage

Cheers

James

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Raywood said:
It looks as though it might not repaierfully but I would try as replacing it is a big job.

I might give it a go Raywood - putting the caravan away for the winter this week (into storage) so it might be a job for next year but I might get that spreader tool and see what I can do with it.

James

TRENDING THREADS