Electric camper van

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The inner core of the Earth is loaded with super heat that could be tapped. Nearly 2000 miles underground . Anything’s possible. Remember the black stuff, coal😜

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's an as yet unproven theory from two French scientists working for the Atomic Energy Commission that suggests that the gravitational pull in different locations on Earth is affected by the earth's magnetic field.
Clutching at straws here, but the same theory could apply to the moon. 🤪
Hello Steve,

Your link does not seem to work, However if a planet or moon or even a star has a magnetic field (and many do) then it would certainly interact with earths field. that should be beyond doubt, but the strength of the interaction is what would be the limiting factor.

Just consider when people use a compass on earth, the location of the moon makes no discernable change to it's indication. This shows the effect must be so small that to collect enough energy from it to be of any practical use would require as system probably as big as the planet it self!

Magnetic force obeys an inverse square law with distance. ... If the distance between two magnets is doubled the magnetic force between them will fall to a quarter of the initial value. (F/4) so the influence of magnetic fields from other bodies will be several orders of magnitude less than the moons - and thus of no practical use for power generation on the earth.

Gravitational effects of the moon and sun are much greater as witnessed by the tidal changes.

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are Maglev trains notably the Shanghai Maglev train which has a top speed of 275mph and uses magnetism to operate. Unfortunately as the understanding of magnetism is rather sparse except for its basic function, there is a cost factor regarding making Maglev trains more economical to develop further.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are Maglev trains notably the Shanghai Maglev train which has a top speed of 275mph and uses magnetism to operate. Unfortunately as the understanding of magnetism is rather sparse except for its basic function, there is a cost factor regarding making Maglev trains more economical to develop further.
There used to be one at NEC probably one of the first in the world. Quicker to walk 😀

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Come to think of it wasn't there one at the Merry Hill shopping complex in Dudley? We saw it but it never worked. Probably due to cost cutting. LOL!
The monorail at Merry Hill, Dudley was a conventional monorail, but it used to break down a lot because it was badly designed.
In a couple of years time the long promised Midland Metro will connect the Merry Hill Centre with Birmingham and black country towns.
Unfortunately it's a few years too late, people are switching to online shopping, and stores at Merry Hill are closing down.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for kind words. Actually I was referring to hydrogen and it being possible distribute it in vast quantities however I guess the same would apply to research regarding the earth's magnetic field. I think every planet has some sort of magnetic field even satellites like the moon. I supposed that there is the possibility that there are some sort of magnetic fields in space, but I don't know having neve read up on it.
I didn't say it was impossible to produce and distribute hydrogen, just that right now and for the short term foreseeable future it was cost prohibitive. As you suggest - many things change over time, and once we have an abundant source of renewable energy, using some of it in an less efficient manner for the sake of some additional convenience is entirely likely. But we need the source renewable energy first.

Not every planet has a magnetic field, the moon does not. Its predicated on the structure of the internals of the body.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The monorail at Merry Hill, Dudley was a conventional monorail, but it used to break down a lot because it was badly designed.
In a couple of years time the long promised Midland Metro will connect the Merry Hill Centre with Birmingham and black country towns.
Unfortunately it's a few years too late, people are switching to online shopping, and stores at Merry Hill are closing down.
We have not been to Merry Hill shopping centre for nearly 20 years. Awkward to get to from where we live and secondly parking was a big issue and having to park far away even if you have a BB. Unfortunately a little too far for me to walk.
We wanted to go to the Timberland store however ended up buying Online as easier and if it does not fit you, no cost to return and exchange. A big issue we have found is that sizes don't seem to be standard and from one store L is a perfect fit and the other from a different store the L is too small. Same applies with trouser waist sizes and shoes. Not sure why the difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm lost as to why the thread keeps getting new unrelated points being raised. This was about an electric camper van and how it might charge! not about maglevs or planetary electromagnetism or clothing sizes.

Have Maglevs been suggested as a way to power and charger EV's. Here's a heads up. As stated they do utilise the force of attraction and repulsion associated with poles of magnets, and whilst part of the system uses permanent magnets ( or uni powered electromagnets , the other part has to uses a series electromagnets which can change polar direction to generate the repulsion and attraction to both lift the carriage and produce motion. This mainly came about by Professor Eric Laithwaite's work on Linear motors.

Unfortunately the system needs electrical power to operate, so it's not a source of free energy. There are several reasons why the system has not been adopted widely. These include the cost of teh materials to create both the carriage and the track that it has to use. They are not particularly efficient, and they require a fairly complex control system which has to manage the balancing act of levitation, without oscillation in the vertical and horizontal planes as well as carriage yaw all of which become more complex to manage as speed increases. That was one of the reasons why the NEC system was so slow. Perhaps with more modern and significantly faster modern computers the carriage stability might be managed better now.

The Japanese version was a flagship project where money was no object, and it was and is expensive to operate, and it's the financial side of things that has prevented the scheme being more widely adopted.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm lost as to why the thread keeps getting new unrelated points being raised. This was about an electric camper van and how it might charge! not about maglevs or planetary electromagnetism or clothing sizes.

Have Maglevs been suggested as a way to power and charger EV's. Here's a heads up. As stated they do utilise the force of attraction and repulsion associated with poles of magnets, and whilst part of the system uses permanent magnets ( or uni powered electromagnets , the other part has to uses a series electromagnets which can change polar direction to generate the repulsion and attraction to both lift the carriage and produce motion. This mainly came about by Professor Eric Laithwaite's work on Linear motors.

Unfortunately the system needs electrical power to operate, so it's not a source of free energy. There are several reasons why the system has not been adopted widely. These include the cost of teh materials to create both the carriage and the track that it has to use. They are not particularly efficient, and they require a fairly complex control system which has to manage the balancing act of levitation, without oscillation in the vertical and horizontal planes as well as carriage yaw all of which become more complex to manage as speed increases. That was one of the reasons why the NEC system was so slow. Perhaps with more modern and significantly faster modern computers the carriage stability might be managed better now.

The Japanese version was a flagship project where money was no object, and it was and is expensive to operate, and it's the financial side of things that has prevented the scheme being more widely adopted.

It was myself that started the thread so see no harm in digressing a bit to make it interesting. Besides you have just reiterated what I mentioned in an earlier post and expanded on it so you have also digressed from the original OP. We are all guilty of doing that so not a problem.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm lost as to why the thread keeps getting new unrelated points being raised. This was about an electric camper van and how it might charge! not about maglevs or planetary electromagnetism or clothing sizes.....
😂😂😂
That's a bit rich coming from you Prof.
Think back to when a fairly straightforward question is asked on the message boards and it becomes a long drawn out discussion involving various peripheral issues.
😂😂😂

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
😂😂😂
Think back to when a fairly straightforward question is asked on the message boards and it becomes a long drawn out discussion involving various peripheral issues.
😂😂😂
Hmm. Complete and on topic is a bit different to tangential and irrelevant. (I am definitely guilty of the former, like Prof)

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks so much for putting us straight, I never realised that there were so many forum moderators.
I really must try to remember this for future reference........
I would comment to say that I am not a moderator (as you very well know), but that would be tangential and irrelevant. ;-)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I would comment to say that I am not a moderator (as you very well know), but that would be tangential and irrelevant. ;-)
We forgive you because you were replying to my tangential but not entirely irrelevant response to your earlier reply which explained to us that your comments which sometimes divert from the core issue are not really tangential and irrelevant. 😊

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The English language, Grammar and Syntax lessons just gets better on here🤪🤪.
I‘ve had to dust down my old Roget Thesaurus😉

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
😂😂😂
😂😂😂
The difference being the "peripheral issues" do have relevance to the topic, or are responses to other off topic comments initiated by others.

How clothing sizes are relevant to electric campers is going a bit far. o_O

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The difference being the "peripheral issues" do have relevance to the topic, or are responses to other off topic comments initiated by others.

How clothing sizes are relevant to electric campers is going a bit far. o_O
Some of these debates on this forum are irrelevant to real time everyday life anyway, you can argue a point about alternative energy as much as you want to but nothing written here will change things either way when it comes to governmental projects like the UK becoming carbon neutral.
In the wider scheme of things, what we write here doesn't matter!
Things like ev technology and alternative fuel source development for example are in their infancy, we'll know as much about future transportation and alternative energy as most our grandparents knew about present day information technology, but that doesn't prevent theories and counter theories being aired here.
Forum discussions involving current driving and towing safety, road traffic legislation, touring caravan design, the leisure industry etc can often matter in real time, but if that's all that was ever discussed this forum would be very boring indeed.
If forum members want a rule imposed that those taking part in any discussion must adhere strictly to the O.P. I could probably arrange for that to happen, but the theorising that takes place on the forum can sometimes unearth good information as well as the somewhat less useful comments which are at times off topic.
If you prefer an online platform where a few po faced zealots deliver stern lectures while everybody else sits up and takes notice, this isn't the place for you.
Discussion often rambles along different paths, if these paths involve safety or illegal activities of course these can't be allowed, but otherwise, if somebody introduces a point that you consider to be off topic, don't respond to it and it will wither on the vine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts