Electric camper van

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of further upsetting some contributors for straying away from solar powered camper vans, our local lunchtime TV news did a feature on an urban airport set to open in Coventry in the near future.
The electric powered flying drones will be used for cargo and logistics, but a spokesman connected with the project mooted the idea of electrically powered passenger carrying airborne taxis being trialled at some stage.
In the future, electric cars might be traded in for personal electric drones, it's a shame that most of us won't be around to see it happening.
Apologies for flying off at a tangent 🤪

Edit:
This is the second link that I've posted that has failed to work.
I'll ask admin to investigate

Reactions: JezzerB

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
How about some relevant posts? I was enjoying this thread at the beginning before the petty stuff. I actually think that electric campervans are the obvious way forward for our hobby (and I tow a trailer caravan). There is a mass market for commercial vans, and companies like Amazon (to name just one) are willing to place very large orders for them. This is an important motivator for the van industry to develop EV's with good range quickly. Here is the base vehicle for a van conversion and perhaps a coach built version later. This is the momentum, which the tow car doesn't have. I can see a great market for a simple, trendy and relatively light campervan.

Reactions: JTQ

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
How about some relevant posts? I was enjoying this thread at the beginning before the petty stuff. I actually think that electric campervans are the obvious way forward for our hobby (and I tow a trailer caravan). There is a mass market for commercial vans, and companies like Amazon (to name just one) are willing to place very large orders for them. This is an important motivator for the van industry to develop EV's with good range quickly. Here is the base vehicle for a van conversion and perhaps a coach built version later. This is the momentum, which the tow car doesn't have. I can see a great market for a simple, trendy and relatively light campervan.
I'm sure that electric van and campervan manufacturers are awaiting the next on topic non tangenital forum pronouncement with bated qbreath, how would they cope without the erudite input submitted by the experts among us here on this forum?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure that electric van and campervan manufacturers are awaiting the next on topic non tangenital forum pronouncement with bated qbreath, how would they cope without the erudite input submitted by the experts among us here on this forum?
Well, that statment has stumpt me, maybe it was the four pints of "Moongazer" at lunchtime. .

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand your point of view and I am aware of the strides delivery companies are already making. We’ve had about 3-4 deliveries by electric vans. It would however be premature to write off cars for towing caravans as already there are companies currently producing EV vehicles to tow at least 1600 kg, there may even be some with a higher towing spec. One aspect of the motorhome EV is that motorhomes run quite close to their GVW and are akin to running a heavily laden van most of the time. So battery capacity and charging times will be crucial. Whereas a tow car once on site regains it’s solo range for the duration of the holiday. It’s going to be an interesting few years.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
That's a nice way for a Moderator to keep the subject interesting.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I understand your point of view and I am aware of the strides delivery companies are already making. We’ve had about 3-4 deliveries by electric vans. It would however be premature to write off cars for towing caravans as already there are companies currently producing EV vehicles to tow at least 1600 kg, there may even be some with a higher towing spec. One aspect of the motorhome EV is that motorhomes run quite close to their GVW and are akin to running a heavily laden van most of the time. So battery capacity and charging times will be crucial. Whereas a tow car once on site regains it’s solo range for the duration of the holiday. It’s going to be an interesting few years.
There is quite a whopping fleet of Amazon EV vans now on the road. I agree that weight is a big issue and that is why I think the van conversion type of caravan with minimal domestic facilities is more suited than the coachbuilt type with cocktail cabinets etc. The German and Dutch really seem to have taken to this concept of campervan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is quite a whopping fleet of Amazon EV vans now on the road. I agree that weight is a big issue and that is why I think the van conversion type of caravan with minimal domestic facilities is more suited than the coachbuilt type with cocktail cabinets etc. The German and Dutch really seem to have taken to this concept of campervan.
Rivian have signed a contract to supply 100000 EV delivery trucks to Amazon US. by 2030, and the Rivian pick up has created a lot of interest already. Be interesting to see how Rivian go forwards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst we will see a lot more Electric Vans (Still EV's I suppose), so far most of the specifications for the commercial ones have been relatively short (Typically only about 100 miles)range, becasue most vans do the "Last Mile Deliveries" where extended range isn't required. I hope the manufacturers do see the necessity to option longer range versions.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Had a vision, inspired by locos with tenders, of an EV MH with a battery bank "toad".
What can it be, trailer of 3500 kgs MTPLM, range problem solved within car licence?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Rivian have signed a contract to supply 100000 EV delivery trucks to Amazon US. by 2030, and the Rivian pick up has created a lot of interest already. Be interesting to see how Rivian go forwards.
Lets hope the chip shortage has been resolve dby then as that has put a stop to the manufacturing of many vehicles at present.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets hope the chip shortage has been resolve dby then as that has put a stop to the manufacturing of many vehicles at present.
Steps are in hand to widen the chip manufacturing capability. The USA and Europe have both realised that despite Taiwan being a world leader in chip manufacturing having too many eggs in one basket isn’t good practice, despite the acknowledged economics. And given Taiwans locality to its large neighbour even more reason for a more resilient supply chain.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Steps are in hand to widen the chip manufacturing capability. The USA and Europe have both realised that despite Taiwan being a world leader in chip manufacturing having too many eggs in one basket isn’t good practice, despite the acknowledged economics. And given Taiwans locality to its large neighbour even more reason for a more resilient supply chain.
Isn't there also a shortage of one of the ingredients for an IC or chip?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There's a chip shortage due covid supply chain etc and a fire on a factory but not a shortage of raw materials I don't think? Happy to be corrected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts