Electric Cars/Hybrids?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
As I was reading this thread it just struck me as how suitable caravanning is to plug in hybrid electric technology.

The normal downside of this is in citys people park their car on the street so cannot plug in.

Yet us lot go holidaying with an outside charge post to hand.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Earlier in this thread Lutz touched on VW going Hybrid in the new series Toaureg (due 2010).

Initially I thought that like Lexus, VW's maximum towing figures would be reduced due to the weight of the batteries eating up the payload and that we would end up with a 2000kg max tow (like the 450H), rather than the current 3500kg.

It appears however that the range is to keep it's 3500kg rating, as well as being better performing during acceleration, top end speed, fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, when compared to the current range.

If the figures prove to be correct, that is technology moving in the right direction, however I don't do enough town/city driving in mine to justify the change over.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
All manufacturers are falling over themselves now to introduce hybrid technology into their big cars (deliberately avoiding using the 4x4 word!)

The reasons are threefold & all to do with increasing sales :-

1) The customers can claim they are going green!

2) They appear on paper to be good on fuel & have low c02 & thus attract lower tax.

3) Because of (2) they will hold their value. Even if new buyers dont care about economy & tax the used market does & nobody is going to buy new if they think their pride & joy will be worth peanuts in 3 years.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Earlier in this thread Lutz touched on VW going Hybrid in the new series Toaureg (due 2010).

Initially I thought that like Lexus, VW's maximum towing figures would be reduced due to the weight of the batteries eating up the payload and that we would end up with a 2000kg max tow (like the 450H), rather than the current 3500kg.

It appears however that the range is to keep it's 3500kg rating, as well as being better performing during acceleration, top end speed, fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, when compared to the current range.

If the figures prove to be correct, that is technology moving in the right direction, however I don't do enough town/city driving in mine to justify the change over.
The non-hybrid RX350 has the same 2000kg max. towload as the hybrid version.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No, hybrids are taxed exactly the same here in Germany as their petrol/diesel equivalents. Cars over here are taxed by engine size and Euro 1/2/3/4/5, etc. emissions categories. The government, cunning as it is, doesn't subsidise hybrids but penalises old cars, mainly those in Euro 1 and Euro 2 groups. They pay about twice as much annual tax.

Currently, however, there is a government scheme whereby one can get a 2500 Euro subsidy if you scrap a car that is at least 9 years old and you buy a new one.
I'll be taking delivery of my hybrid RX400h next week. I have since found out that only the 211bhp of the petrol engine is taxed. Together with the electric motors the car delivers 272bhp, but the difference is ignored by the taxman.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I took delivery of my RX400h last week. Haven't had a chance to tow with it yet, but I averaged 35mpg (solo) over the first 150 miles after picking it up (mostly motorway). Can't be bad for a 3.3 litre with 272bhp of combined petrol/electric power. I'm very happy with it.

G

Not really any better than a 3 litre diesel Lutz and they give better performance and don't have to worry about the battery technology.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

Pleased to hear you have taken delivery of your new Lexus, I can't believe this thread has been going for so long that since it first started you have ordered and now have your Lexus. Let us all know how it tows when you have a chance.

Still very concerned that these electric/hybrids are not as green as first seems due to the manufacturing process. There is very little in the national press about the possible damage to the environment but then I suppose such data will be suppressed? Very few people research their vehicles in such detail as caravanners do! I don't believe the general public are aware of the different points of view on the issues raised here.

G

Who bothers or believes the Co2 hype!

Diesels are faster and within a whisker of the Lexus on the Co2 rating as well plus you are dragging the weight of the Hybrid batteries and motors around.

I guess if detuned to speed and acceleration of the Lexus the Co2 rating would be about the same or better.

I doubt that for caravanning that the lexus has as good pulling power either.

Tighter cabin space of the Lexus for taller drivers and its weight seem to be a penalty for what you get as well.

It is a stylish looking car and Lutz and should be as good as most Toyota's it's just that I think that the the cars 'eco' label is rather flaky.

If you don't require or want 4x4 a 3 litre TD estate will give far better fuel consumption and far lower Co2 rating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts