Electric costs?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have not looked into this, but as a site is supplying electric to a pitch that is being used by a consumer who is rated as a domestic consumer, surely the cost per kwh should be fixed at the £0.34p instead of the commercial rate that the iste owner is paying?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at a site in Suffolk last night and they are charging an extra flat rate £15 per day if aircon or awning heaters are used.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have not looked into this, but as a site is supplying electric to a pitch that is being used by a consumer who is rated as a domestic consumer, surely the cost per kwh should be fixed at the £0.34p instead of the commercial rate that the iste owner is paying?
Not unless the site sets itself up as an electricity supplier - sites come under Ofgem's rules for "reselling" not Ofgem's rules for suppliers and generators.

If they did as you suggest, sites would close or disable their electric connections - that wouldn't help any of us.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

Surely the site will be a commercial premises so will not be covered by capping - that is only for domestic users.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely the site will be a commercial premises so will not be covered by capping - that is only for domestic users.
I am aware of that and also that a commercial premises may not have a supplier's license. I am unsure how the legislation etc is worded as a caravan is a temporary residential domestic premises so maybe can be applied? I guess a lot depends on the wording. What happens with a boarding house or flats where tenants have sub meters?

I would think a way around it is to charge the £0.34 per kwh on a metered pitch and also increase the cost of the pitch rental to break even.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I firmly believe that individual pitches bettered. That way those who use the most pay the most.
But what if an EV user plugs into "your' socket and uses a Y connector (without disrupting your power) to charge their car during the wee small hours?,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I firmly believe that individual pitches bettered. That way those who use the most pay the most.
But what if an EV user plugs into "your' socket and uses a Y connector (without disrupting your power) to charge their car during the wee small hours?,
Surely they would need to remove your connection to plug in the splitter? If we have a power loss the fridge alarm sounds and it is quite loud at 3am. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The maximum price anyone who is a reseller of energy is legally controlled OFGEM. Their guidance document:

States
" From the 1st january 2003, the maximum price at which gas or electricity maybe resold is the same price as that payed by the person who is reselling it. ("the reseller"), including any standing charges "

It goes on to say that if a reseller over charges their customer for energy they would be open to civil action to recover the excess charge.

This would apply to caravan sites, and because they are treated as commercial businesses, and thus their price per kWh will be higher than domestic supplies.

If a site wished to charge per kWh they would have to be able to meter the energy used to be able to calculate the cost of energy used. That would also put a duty on the site owner to ensure the meters used to measure the energy were calibrated to the same standard as the energy sellers equipment.

However their is another and far more common approach which circumvents the OFGEM requirement. Touring sites rather than reselling the energy by metering it, they only rent access to the sites equipement at a rate which would cover the average cost of the energy typically consumed, and amortise the cost of the systems installation.

Trying to claim your usage of energy in a touring caravan should be treated as domestic usage and price capped, won't work.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am fully aware of all the legislation regarding supplier and consumers as worked for a supplier for many years and that was not my question which was answered several posts ago, but thanks for highlighting it in detail for those not in the know. (y):)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am fully aware of all the legislation regarding supplier and consumers as worked for a supplier for many years and that was not my question which was answered several posts ago, but thanks for highlighting it in detail for those not in the know. (y):)
If you knew the answer then why did you post the question? It certaily looked as though this is what you were seeking.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you knew the answer then why did you post the question? It certaily looked as though this is what you were seeking.
Please read the question. I was looking for clarification of the wording of the new legislation and posted a sort of hypothetical question. I am sorry if it offended you.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've just had the wonderful news that my electricity bill will be cheaper next year.

The daily standing charge stays the same but the unit rate drops from 33.068p to 32.767p.

I'm not sure what I will spend the savings on. Maybe leave a light on for 20s longer each day.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our consumption has halved in the past 2 -3 days as weather a bit warmer. I was panicking a bit.
Ours has (gas +electric) gone above the highest we have had since moving in 3 1/2,years ago. Oh the benefits of letting our grandson WFH. Todays he’s not here and drinking coffee and biscuits at Dick Lovett BMW whilst a recall is done. Pity they could not have done it last week 🙁

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've just had the wonderful news that my electricity bill will be cheaper next year.

The daily standing charge stays the same but the unit rate drops from 33.068p to 32.767p.

I'm not sure what I will spend the savings on. Maybe leave a light on for 20s longer each day.
Ours will not be cheaper yesterday we had this put in the loft
Positive input ventilation system dual it has cold and warm air but if it helps me with my breathing it a must and for running it and extra £20 per year
So enjoy your cheaper electricity next year

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our charges in January are going up from 35 p per kw.to 38 p per kw. We are with Octopus
So Sam be happy your charges are going down, who are you with. ?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Aye an encouraging email from my provider that my rates were reducing next year until I logged into my account to find expected savings of £7 and that’s per annum! I’ll enjoy the possibility of a latte each on the benefit!

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Ours will not be cheaper yesterday we had this put in the loft
Positive input ventilation system dual it has cold and warm air but if it helps me with my breathing it a must and for running it and extra £20 per year
So enjoy your cheaper electricity next year

I looked into one of those systems. But ducting was not possible. Would be much easier in a bungalow.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Our charges in January are going up from 35 p per kw.to 38 p per kw. We are with Octopus
So Sam be happy your charges are going down, who are you with. ?
I'm with Scottish Power but was intending to Switch to Octopus next year because SP's customer service is appalling.

If there's going to be a biggish price difference I may think twice.

Our annual saving is predicted to be £11. Whooppeee

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WRT #20 and #22 I’m encouraged that there may be signs that the rate of price increases has peaked and into 2023 may not be as high as some pundits have forecast. My concern is that we come off our April 2021 rates at the end of April 2023 and our usage this winter will affect our payment regime from May 2023 onwards. This usage is being significantly increased by having our grandson WFH ( our home) four days a week, when I thought we had “signed up” for one day a week. But I’ve drawn the line at plugging in the 5 series PHEV🤣

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Scottish Power but was intending to Switch to Octopus next year because SP's customer service is appalling.

If there's going to be a biggish price difference I may think twice.

Our annual saving is predicted to be £11. Whooppeee
The price will be the same unless something unforeseen happens or Octopus might be very very slightly cheaper. They were undercutting others by £25 a year at one time but I am not sure if they still do this. I have seen reports of SP's service problems and it makes you cringe although by what I read they are not the worst.
Our power costs will rocket next September because we are still n a long term contract until then and I hate to think what will happen then. I had allowed a fairly hefty credit to build up to help when we get there, but the last couple of weeks has probably made a big hole in that, I hate to even look to see.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The price will be the same unless something unforeseen happens or Octopus might be very very slightly cheaper. They were undercutting others by £25 a year at one time but I am not sure if they still do this. I have seen reports of SP's service problems and it makes you cringe although by what I read they are not the worst.
Our power costs will rocket next September because we are still n a long term contract until then and I hate to think what will happen then. I had allowed a fairly hefty credit to build up to help when we get there, but the last couple of weeks has probably made a big hole in that, I hate to even look to see.
That Octopus loyalty discount was withdrawn in October when the new capped, subsidised rates were introduced.

I run our Octopus energy account with a net zero at the end of September each year - that way I owe them money over the winter and then gradually pay it off over the summer - the idea of having a credit is anathema to me, I'd rather have the money in a savings account even if it's only paying 2.5%

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts