Electric Fan Heaters

May 15, 2005
Visit site
we are still new to caravanning and still finding our feet, however I fancy buying small electric heater, i recently visited my local caravan dealer i found a 2KW small looking electric fan heater reasonably proiced at £15 however after chatting with one of their advisors telling me how good and effective these heaters are and how quick it would our caravan or awning he then said we wouldnt be able to use with electric hook up and being 2kw it would blow the system on the site. Is this correct and can anyone give any advice as to what to buy?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you use one of these at the full 2KW, I would think there is every chance that you would 'blow the system' on most sites. However, most have adjustable controls and we found that running one at the 1KW setting still warmed up our caravan pretty effectively. We have now changed to a new 'van, with blown air central heating, so don't use our fan heater anymore, but it always worked very well for us - and could be operated just as a fan to blow cold air in rare hot spells! The price at your dealer sounds pretty fair, but you can buy similar ones almost anywhere - ours came from Argos.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew, I just use an ordinary floor blow heater, it goes everywhere. It warms the caravan better than the gas heater, keeps yours toes warmer for a start. Works here and in France. Never blow trip meters with it. As Chrissie says visit Argos.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I also use a electric fan heater which is rated at 1.5kw that is adjustable and rarely use it on full (though we have with no probs), we have never tripped our van or a supply post and we only use it to warm the awning as our kids sleep in the annex, as soon as they are wrapped in their sleeping bags they want if turned off as they say they are too warm,Even in autumn ! !...shop around as you can buy these as cheap as

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew.

Your 'Advisor' is using melodramatic language, when he/she says your fan heater will 'Blow' the site. If you use too much current all that will happen is that either your pitch supply or possibly the site supply will trip thier limit switch (MCB). Whilst this is inconvenient, it is certainly not as drastic as 'Blowing' the the site.

All UK sites should be wired in accordance withe the IEEE wiring regulations. Each pitch should carry a warning as to the maximum current available. Most will be a minimum of 10A and many will be 16A. Your 2kW heater should not draw more than 8.7A.

May I suggest that when using the heater select the lowest setting and only turn it up if the conditions warrant it.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have used a 2 kw heater for the past 5 years to heat the awning if its a little chilly, it is switchable from 1 kw to 2 kw and was only about 15 pounds from b&q. We have never tripped out the power supply on site as long as it is rated at 16 amp, if the site supply is lower we just use the 1kw setting. at least if this heater fails it is only 15 pounds as opposed to 300 for a new truma in the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My van came installed with a Electric and Gas Heater and the electric has a control for 0-500-1000-2000 watts and a 16 amp supply will be able to cover this adequately. problems will arise if you start switching on other appliances at the same time i.e electric hotplates, toasters, kettle, coffee machine, micro-wave etc, etc etc, if you buy a 2 Kw fan heater it will run on a 16 amp supply as long as you switch something else off. IMHO I beleive that 2Kw will be used to warm the van up quickly but in a short space of time you will down to the smallest setting.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew

I can recommend a Hallogen heater with fan. We have used one for a couple of years both inside the 'van and in the awning. It has never caused us any problems. It has a fail-safe device which activates when it is knocked over (ideal where there are children playing and pets running around). These are available at most good caravan centres.

I give below details of input/output:

Voltage 220-240V

Maxpower 800W

Weight 3.9kg

It is worth having a look at this product.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Try a special portable caravan fan heater with is low wattage and is marked 500w or 1kw. I recently bought one of these from ebay and it works very nicely without using too much juice. However, it is made by Bonner and is Dutch so whether you will find the same one I am not sure, but second hand ones come up on ebay.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Sorry meant to post this as a reply not a comment!

12:00 PM Alistair, thats a lot of juice. Obviously you are experienced and know what you can use, but I wouldnt like to think I was next to a new caravanner who followed this advice and tripped the site system!

According to the C&C Club, a domestic kettle of 2,000 watts uses 8.3 amps, a domestic fan heater of 1,000 watts uses 4.2 amps a domestic microwave of 1200 watts (they use more for start up, apparently, even if they are 800 or 900) at 5 amps. Some sites only have a 5 amp supply, admittedly some are very good and give you 16 or 10, but you have to check before you run all your stuff. 10 amps gives you 2300 watts (amps x volts = watts). Andrew, you might find it helpful to go to the camping and caravan club website and look at the information sheets which are pdf files which you can print off. There is one on electricity which I have found useful. Dont have to be a member, Im not Also phone ahead if your site doesnt give you the information on their supply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alyson,

I would be very worried if Alistair's loading tripped the whole site! It would mean that each of the individual pitch sockets are not protected from overload as required by the electrical regulations.

Whilst Alistair could have a very large load if he turned everything on together, I don't think he is realy suggesting that. I think that your idea of asking about the current capacity is very sensible precaution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts