Electric hook up reel

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve never used a reel to wind up my electric hook up, does anyone use a reel and are the reels advertised for 25 mtr actually any good for holding 25 mtrs , I always end up winding it round my hand and elbow which enables it to get tossed in the car boot, it would be nice to have it rolled up correctly, I tried copying the various you tube clips that show how to do it properly but I’ve forgotten each time I try it.

BP

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I’ve never used a reel to wind up my electric hook up, does anyone use a reel and are the reels advertised for 25 mtr actually any good for holding 25 mtrs , I always end up winding it round my hand and elbow which enables it to get tossed in the car boot, it would be nice to have it rolled up correctly, I tried copying the various you tube clips that show how to do it properly but I’ve forgotten each time I try it.

BP
I don't like reeled cables as 1) they tend to twist and damage the cable over time and 2) the temptation to not unwind them fully is too great.
I like the method to store taught to me by my FiL. Start at one end. measure out a full double armspan of cable, and mybe a bit more (i.e. stretch out the cable across your chest with arms fully out streched). use that point to form a loop (it will be a big loop). Repeat ensuring you remove any twists from the cable as you go. You should end up with a big open loop of cable. (Optionally - at this point, secure the top and bottom of the loop with double sided velcro strip or cord or rope of your own choice of fixing.) Whilst continuing to hold the loop from the top, grab the bottom, and twist the top and bottom in opposite directions. The loop should fold onto its self, and form a much smaller loop, twice as thick (smaller than an arm wrap loop). Again - secure at top and bottom, and store.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have an early version of the usual orange one still serving after more than 20 years! The later version has cut out for the plug which makes it easier to wind up and unwind. Now w costs about 10 quid from Towsure et al

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use a reel and have doen so for nearly 20 years with no issues. When it is a wet and muddy field the reel definitely has an advantage over wrapping it around your arm.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the reel that’s pictured by our new moderator Sam, hi Sam, do you know how long your hook up cable is, I must admit I've no idea how long mine is but I know I’m planning to cut it down, I’ll measure it and if it’s the 25 mtr one I intend cutting it to a 10 and a 15 and with plugs on both I can use 10, 15 or join them and in extreme curcumstances I can then use as the original 25 which I’ve never come near it in all the years I’ve had a caravan.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for that illustration Niall, the newer version as i tried to describe, with the cut out for the plug , over the years mine has become much less vibrant in colour too, but still does the deed!

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that illustration Niall, the newer version as i tried to describe, with the cut out for the plug , over the years mine has become much less vibrant in colour too, but still does the deed!
Mine has the cut out as well. I found it so useful that I bought a second one for the garden cable.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I looked at the reel that’s pictured by our new moderator Sam, hi Sam, do you know how long your hook up cable is, I must admit I've no idea how long mine is but I know I’m planning to cut it down, I’ll measure it and if it’s the 25 mtr one I intend cutting it to a 10 and a 15 and with plugs on both I can use 10, 15 or join them and in extreme curcumstances I can then use as the original 25 which I’ve never come near it in all the years I’ve had a caravan.
It's 25m and all fits on. Needed a little spray of lubricant to make it rotate smoothly but works well.

Reactions: Beehpee

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

With all the reels illustrated here you are not going to put on a 25 metre cable if it is split into two pieces as that requires coping with the bulk and rigidness of the two additional couplings. For that use they are not suitable; each run of our cables 25, 10 & 15 m, are stowed on their own reel.
I have a number of the orange jobs, or they were once orange in their earlier years, and find they do the task excellently. I observe some owners don't realise how these are designed to be used.

I have zero issue with being tempted not to fully unwind them, I know why doing so, is very important.

I suspect winding them on that tight a radius could shorten their life. Though, all ours are the heavier 2.5 mm square cored and some must be already 30 years old, so that issue does not appear to be unduly life limiting, so far.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I use one like Neil's which cost a few pounds at a dealers when I visited for something else. I have no problems with it twisting and it is far better than wrapping it round your arm which I can mean you get knots and also be a problem with dirt if wet.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The image of the one I use shows the holes in the side of the frame which you can push the connectors through, which I do.

So it should be possible to have split lengths on it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
It must be twenty years or more that I was browsing in Leroy Merlins in Calais when I saw empty cable reels for sale. I bought one. My cable is attached to the reel by its mid-point and it only takes minutes to wind on the doubled cable.

20220120_104750.jpg

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had no intention of fitting the 10 & 15 mtr lengths which have connectors at each end on a single reel would have to be pretty thick to do so, having them separate would make it easy to un roll the one I want, also I’d need to be daft leaving any part of the roll still wound up if it’s got current running through, I asked about what length the reel would take so I could decide what length could the reel accommodate comfortably.

BP

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Well thanks to Jaydug as my ancient orange reel has a cable clip on the inner circumference so it might well be possible to double wind my cable in similar fashion by clipping near the centre of the cable length. Can’t wait to give it a try - but without a sharp bend which might weaken the cable at that point!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well thanks to Jaydug as my ancient orange reel has a cable clip on the inner circumference so it might well be possible to double wind my cable in similar fashion by clipping near the centre of the cable length. Can’t wait to give it a try - but without a sharp bend which might weaken the cable at that point!

I'm not advocating leaving multiple turns of EHU cable on a reel, but when un-reeled there should be no problem with the loop at the mid point remaining on the reel.

In practice the sharp bend as you put it is unlikely to be very sharp because of the thickness of the cable, and assuming it remains attached to the reel when its unwound, provided it isn't repeatedly un bent and re-bent the conductor's are unlikely to be stressed to the point of failing. You are more likely to sustain cable fatigue at the cable entries to CEEFORM connectors where there is regular handling.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
[QUOTE="ProfJohnL, post: 541864, member: 1217
In practice the sharp bend as you put it is unlikely to be very sharp because of the thickness of the cable, and assuming it remains attached to the reel when its unwound, provided it isn't repeatedly un bent and re-bent the conductor's are unlikely to be stressed to the point of failing.
[/QUOTE]

When I read the quoted reply two days ago, those were also my thoughts, however "proof of the pudding ...etc", as I said in my original post, both the drum and the cable are both more than twenty years old and still showing no signs of failure.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BeePee, here is ours 12 years old, 25 meters of cable. Much easier to roll up when the cable is cold and wet.

20220122_170813.jpg20220122_170752.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts