Electric of Battery

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Bailey Pageant Vendee 2006 model and will be siting it on a seasonal pitch with electric hook up. I am new to caravanning and am unsure whether I need to purchase a leisure battery or can i gain all my power from the hook up ?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Someone with more electrical knowledge than me will no doubt be along to reply shortly but, to the best of my knowledge,it is recommended that a 12v battery should be used even when on mains hook up. I believe the 12v circuit will work on mains without the battery but this is not recommended. Can I emphasis I am not qualified in electrics so please make sure you confirm this with someone who is.
Robert

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
my hubby says u need 12v battery for the things that are running via the battery, in our caravan we have spotlights and some switches for using 12v from. Obviously on seasonal 12v switches wont be needed but if yr battery lights/spotlights run off battery then u will need a battery as well. We are on seasonal and hv a battery as well.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You don't need a battery if you are always on mains hookup, as your electrical unit will provide the 12 v DC for all your needs.
I had several caravans over many years and never had a battery, but now I have a mover and go on more ralleys so naturally need a battery.
Just one thing, ensure the battery cables are insulated separately so there is no way they can touch.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Our friend bought a Bailey Vendee and although it was connected to the mains it seemed most itmes worked on 1/3 power. This was correcte when battery was connected up. Seems on baileys battery is part of the circuit and probably completes an earth path.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
After a battery failure on the Bailey Ranger we used to own, I discovered that everything 12v seemed to work as before while connected to a EHU even without a battery in circuit. I was warned later though by an electrician friend that there is a possibility of overloading what is in essence a battery charger, if you expect it to deliver the amps that a 12v battery could. The obvious example of this would be to try powering a motor mover but I realise this doesn't apply if you intend to stay put. The battery also acts as a voltage regulator which may be important if you connect voltage sensitive equipment to the 12v supply, e.g. TVs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All modern caravans, are now fitted with a power supply unit. This is designed to safely charge a leisure battery but it will also safely run many of the items in a caravan WITH or WITHOUT a battery connected.

These power supplies produce a smoothed and regulated output typically of 13.8V which is the standard voltage for charging leisure batteries and will not damage sensitive electronics unlike the simpler battery chargers fitted a few years ago.

These power supplies do have a limited current capacity, typically ranging from 12 to 16A depending on the model, so as others have said, its fine for running a few 12V lights and the water pump, but not for running a motor mover.

It is entirely possible to run a modern basic caravan without a battery, but if you use a lot of additional 12V appliances then the addition of a battery will help to maintain the supply when using the extra items.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Interesting posts above.
I stuck my neck out on the caravan talk site, and said try it with out the battery.
If the battery fuse blow, this would be the situation you would find yourself in anyway, that was my reasoning.
The other thing was the OP said all he wanted to run was a few lights and a pump.

I remember in the past problems could occur when using SOME electronics.
Although Prof says ALL modern caravans are also power supplies, I'm not so sure.
Some chargers/PSU need a battery connected to enable the charger to work, maybe they also have a separate or built in PSU?

But i do know that some new caravans now have 2 or 3 stage chargers/PSU.
And that my last two caravans came with a 20 amp charger/psu.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
The original poster might like to think about what will happen if the EHU is cut for any reason, and in my experience it often happens. At least you have some back up if you have a battery.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Same as with SIr TB above.
You only need someone to overload the supply or have something that trips the electric and you are in the dark. If you get held up or need to stop on route you may want to use the interior lights in a lay-by or in a late arrivals parking area.
I'd never be without a battery

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
forest gump said:
got a brand new adria and was told all lights 12v may be the dealer dont know there product.

Yes the dealer is correct the lights will be 12V but will run off the internal PSU if there is no battery in place

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
our caravan is on a seasonal pitch and we didnt have a battery and on the 1st night the camsite had a power cut so we had no form of lighting or anything, we noticed every time the campsite was busy the campsite electric would trip out sometimes for a couple of hours at a time, so we invested in a leisure battery as a back up if it ever happened again which it did so i would say get a battery

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts