Electric Scooters and Bikes again!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just reading my latest PCv mag, no date but numbered Issue 442. What do I see, a great article on a two seater , look like a big motorcycle, Knaap E bike.
Amazing, you can ride this monster anywhere, I assume, no registration nor insurance needed, two up, no helmets. all I wanted was a simple little e scooter with a seat , fold up , to help my knee. Not possible for all the reasons we have discussed. So how does this monster become OK? Words fail me😥😥😥

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just reading my latest PCv mag, no date but numbered Issue 442. What do I see, a great article on a two seater , look like a big motorcycle, Knaap E bike.
Amazing, you can ride this monster anywhere, I assume, no registration nor insurance needed, two up, no helmets. all I wanted was a simple little e scooter with a seat , fold up , to help my knee. Not possible for all the reasons we have discussed. So how does this monster become OK? Words fail me😥😥😥
DD i am in agreement with you but i think it would not suit me ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like a Honda Monkey bike, quite a neat piece of kit and it still conforms to the definition of a bicycle. Up to 140kms on a single charge, wonder what the usage profile is to achieve that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My gripe here is that pending knee surgery a 250 watt E scooter , that folds up, goes in the boot, has a seat, would have suited me perfectly. Oh and restricted to 15mph. What is the difference other than the one illustrated is a tandem bike🤔🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My mobility scooter is now too heavy for us to lift into the car. It is very comfortable to ride on as it has pneumatic tyres. I have been looking around for a basic light weight scooter i.e 17-18kg, but the prices are horrendous if buying new.
Quite awhile ago I looked at importing one direct from China and it was a well know brand. After the cost of the unit and shipping fees etc the total cost for one unit was under £400! The exact same scooter sold in the UK for £2600! Unfortunately as there was already a dealer in the EU, could not go ahead with the shipping.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I think it's just that the law hasn't caught up with the existence of e-scooters yet - electric-assisted pushbikes have been around for a while so the law to control them is pretty well established.

I suspect at some point e-scooters will be legalised in some form, if only because they'll be so well established anyway - in the way that CB radio was back in the eighties, it was being so widely used that the government of the day gave up on expecting the Police to enforce the law against it, so they legalised it so there was at least some measure of control.

EDIT - just had a look at the law around e-bikes, part of the e-bike definition is "it must have pedals which can be used to propel it, and pedals must be being pedalled in order for motor assistance to be provided" - and I guess it's not easy to make an e-scooter only be powered while the rider is physically scooting.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We taking our portable travel scooter in the boot on the next trip to Chapel St Leonards it easier for me getting around on the pier ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We taking our portable travel scooter in the boot on the next trip to Chapel St Leonards it easier for me getting around on the pier ;)

Flippin ‘eck BB, is there a mobility aid/ awning/ gizmo that you don't own? 😂😀! Thought Thingy was the King of gadgets but you are giving him a run for the title 😀
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Flippin ‘eck BB, is there a mobility aid/ awning/ gizmo that you don't own? 😂😀! Thought Thingy was the King of gadgets but you are giving him a run for the title 😀
Mel
😂😂, Mel, you should see BB's list of places to go and want list, almost as big as mine,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But with Lady Bacuss's back being bad, I have just bought a Pride Excel, mobility scooter. So with that in the back of the car, and my Honda CBF 500 on the A frame. How much weight do I need at the back of the caravan to get to 85 kg nose weight. .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mel
Hi Mel i have two mobility scooters one for the car and the other taking the dogs for a walk that 8 mph

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
But with Lady Bacuss's back being bad, I have just bought a Pride Excel, mobility scooter. So with that in the back of the car, and my Honda CBF 500 on the A frame. How much weight do I need at the back of the caravan to get to 85 kg nose weight. .
Hutch how big is this Pride Excel mobility scooter that goes in the car does it break down .:)

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
On the camp site we were on a lady had a young boy standing on the back of a normal scooter similar to our Shop Rider . I would not do that as the rear portion would not carry a weight I should have thought. Ours breaks into seat, rear motor portion ,and finally the body with tiller folded down down , total weight 75 kg but I take batteries out after removing seat as the rear part is too heavy for me to lift into boot.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On the camp site we were on a lady had a young boy standing on the back of a normal scooter similar to our Shop Rider . I would not do that as the rear portion would not carry a weight I should have thought. Ours breaks into seat, rear motor portion ,and finally the body with tiller folded down down , total weight 75 kg but I take batteries out after removing seat as the rear part is too heavy for me to lift into boot.
My temporary Pride GoGo plus breaks down into bits. Seat off. Battery off, steering down. I can lift it into boot. Yes the rear motor also disengages easily. All in all an excellent piece of kit. Chinese of course!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My temporary Pride GoGo plus breaks down into bits. Seat off. Battery off, steering down. I can lift it into boot. Yes the rear motor also disengages easily. All in all an excellent piece of kit. Chinese of course!
Mine is the Pride, Excel rapide. With the suspension. £391 from Ebay splits into 5 pieces max weight of the battery 16 kg. Swing from the ground to car easy peasy. .
We dont need it permantly yet, but sod it. Getting m y leg over my motorbike is getting worse. Finding a BMW Wallace and Grommit outfit is hard. So this is a Get us to the pub and back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts