Electricity cost in UK

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hopefully as more battery storage comes on line the constraint payments may reduce. 🀞
The problem Scotland has is that for reasons I wont go into Wind Farms are proliferating more and more when the local demand has already been exceeded. The West Coast feeder does export some down south but it had a checkered history of reliablity. I've not heard anything about it for a while. There are now plans for East Coast feeders and hopefully they will be more reliable.

So, maybe in the future the constraint payments will go down but I doubt the bills will. Wind Farm prices per KWh are just the same as conventional generation prices.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I believe that's why Octopus have negative pricing to encourage use at times of surplus and reduce constraint payments.
They also give free electricity away to areas where the generators are in times of surplus.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The problem Scotland has is that for reasons I wont go into Wind Farms are proliferating more and more when the local demand has already been exceeded. The West Coast feeder does export some down south but it had a checkered history of reliablity. I've not heard anything about it for a while. There are now plans for East Coast feeders and hopefully they will be more reliable.

So, maybe in the future the constraint payments will go down but I doubt the bills will. Wind Farm prices per KWh are just the same as conventional generation prices.
There are supposedly east coast feeders planned which will be a big improvement in the distribution from source to consumers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am debating whether to get a solar system with home battery, but as a few others have declared being above the pension age and with medical concerns with uncertain prognosis, it's not clear whether it would be a sensible investment for me. There are two concerns, firstly I may not live long enough to see the investment pay back, and secondly, I may need to move house, and I wouldn't be able to take the sytem with me, and from what I have been told by a couple of estate agents the added value of a solar PV to a property does not offset the cost of its installation.

But there is an alternative. and its one I am considering. I know of one company and I'm sure there are or will be others that are effectively allowing its customers to invest in a share of a solar array or wind generator, and the net profit from the sale of the generated energy is distributed amongst the shareholders as a reduction on their electricity bills. This way if you move, the benefit moves with you.

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I believe that's why Octopus have negative pricing to encourage use at times of surplus and reduce constraint payments.
They also give free electricity away to areas where the generators are in times of surplus.
There are a number of schemes like this but they rely on having a Smart Meter and one that works. Not everyone can get one because their area is not covered by the network.

According to a report I read recently the estimate was that there are over 50m homes but only 30m or so have smart meters and many of them don't work.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
But there is an alternative. and its one I am considering. I know of one company and I'm sure there are or will be others that are effectively allowing its customers to invest in a share of a solar array or wind generator, and the net profit from the sale of the generated energy is distributed amongst the shareholders as a reduction on their electricity bills. This way if you move, the benefit moves with you.
Ripple Energy is one company doing this unfortunately not covering my area.

As for moving a Solar Array it's easy enough all that is needed is a suitable roof at the new location and aG98 application to the DNO for connection.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are with BG and for a goodly part of the year they have given half price electricity in a Sunday from mid morning to mid afternoon. Also there are periods when they contact us asking us to reduce consumption for a short while. Generally early evening when they must be predicting higher load. That’s only given us pence in savings as it occurs around supper time when our electric devices are a couple of LED lamps and the fridge freezer. So we make no effort to respond.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got a 15M Fixed deal with Octopus having Β£800 in credit our direct debit is Β£ 100 per month and they also giving us some free electric as well.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
We are with BG and for a goodly part of the year they have given half price electricity in a Sunday from mid morning to mid afternoon. Also there are periods when they contact us asking us to reduce consumption for a short while. Generally early evening when they must be predicting higher load. That’s only given us pence in savings as it occurs around supper time when our electric devices are a couple of LED lamps and the fridge freezer. So we make no effort to respond.
Octopus were paying Β£4 kWh during Savings Sessions last year that's on top of the 15p export. As well as reducing your consumption you were allowed to Export as well, I was dumping as much of my battery as I could during the session.

Reactions: otherclive
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
In 15.46 years there is a high chance I'll be dead so won't care what capital I have or haven't got.
Meanwhile my solar would have gained me well over double what a cash ISA would have done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ripple Energy is one company doing this unfortunately not covering my area.
Really?

I'm not aware hat Ripple has any mainland UK limitations (perhaps I'm wrong?) The only limitation that i'm aware of for Ripple, is you have to have your energy supplied by one of the many UK suppliers they have negotiated the scheme with.

You might need to change your supplier to be able to take advantage of the Ripple scheme.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Really?

I'm not aware hat Ripple has any mainland UK limitations (perhaps I'm wrong?) The only limitation that i'm aware of for Ripple, is you have to have your energy supplied by one of the many UK suppliers they have negotiated the scheme with.

You might need to change your supplier to be able to take advantage of the Ripple scheme.
Just re-looked at this and they have indeed broadened their reach. Or maybe I was thinking of another company, it was a while ago that I last looked at wind farm investment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts