Emergency Alert

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My wife as myself have become so used to paying by our phones for transactions, today we went to the pub at lunch time, I realised that I didn't have my phone so SWMBO payed for our drinks, It wasn't until on the way home I realised that I had my wallet with me with my bank cards in it, He Ho, nice Lunchtime for me , also the pub landlady put on Sausages wrapped in bacon and roast potatoes on the bar for free.
Happy bunny.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not quite. The emergency alert is supposed to bypass the normal notifications "OFF" setting.

We'll have to wait and see.

My answer was for turning off standard notifications. Not the emergency ones. Which can be turned off as well. But not in the same way as standard notifications.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hope it is better than the broadcasts in 2007 when the River Severn flooded and we had made it from Coventry to Moreton but the town was flooded so we headed towards Evesham, but no joy there. The local radio said the M5 was open so we routed back towards Worcester and joined the M 5 southbound. Only then to find that just north of Strensham the motorway was closed due to field run off. It had taken us five hours to get from Coventry to M5 Worcester and the severity of the rainfall had completely overtaken the ability of the various bodies to provide factual information. Needless to say it was a very British occasion with three southbound lanes all spending the night together.

I think most of us were affected as it also took us about 5 hours to get from Worcester to Stourport a distance of 12 miles.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think most of us were affected as it also took us about 5 hours to get from Worcester to Stourport a distance of 12 miles.
We were definitely affected.
We bought a brand new Abbey 540 and it had been on our seasonal pitch at Eckington, next to the River Avon for 3 months.
The site flooded and our caravan was a write off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were definitely affected.
We bought a brand new Abbey 540 and it had been on our seasonal pitch at Eckington, next to the River Avon for 3 months.
The site flooded and our caravan was a write off.
I seem to remember you mentioning it. Strangely only a few months earlier we went to look at the site as were thinking of going seasonal.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Surprising as did my own poll yesterday among a group of friends some of whom knew nothing about it! Maybe we should all make a point of speaking to elderly relatives or neighbours to make sure they understand what the heck is going on!
maybe the constant slots between every programme on tv regarding I-player or ITV-x should have been commandeered for a useful information update from government instead!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Surprising as did my own poll yesterday among a group of friends some of whom knew nothing about it! Maybe we should all make a point of speaking to elderly relatives or neighbours to make sure they understand what the heck is going on!
maybe the constant slots between every programme on tv regarding I-player or ITV-x should have been commandeered for a useful information update from government instead!

Good point. I was shocked when a news programme said that 1 in 4 were unaware. When I have seen and heard announcements so many times I wonder what 25% are doing with themselves.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good point. I was shocked when a news programme said that 1 in 4 were unaware. When I have seen and heard announcements so many times I wonder what 25% are doing with themselves.

John
I guess a lot don’t watch news, and it’s not been covered very well on the BBC, or ITV at lunchtime or 2200. Looking through my paper again only occasional articles not adverts, but again how many have a daily paper. I can’t comment on social media as I don’t use any other than PC Forums…… but I’m then totally confused as to whether you can, or cannot switch it off. Since at the time of the alarm we will be having lunch in a nice Welsh country pub I await the “ call” with interest.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I guess a lot don’t watch news, and it’s not been covered very well on the BBC, or ITV at lunchtime or 2200. Looking through my paper again only occasional articles not adverts, but again how many have a daily paper. I can’t comment on social media as I don’t use any other than PC Forums…… but I’m then totally confused as to whether you can, or cannot switch it off. Since at the time of the alarm we will be having lunch in a nice Welsh country pub I await the “ call” with interest.

You can turn it off, see my earlier link to the gov site #13. Perhaps it could be advertised better, but it is the 1 in 4 that amazed me. 1 in 50 I could understand.

On the morning programme they were saying that some were unhappy with the timing of the alarm happening during their roast. I think it will be quite funny in a packed pub with simultaneous alarms going off. It will help with conversation.

I don't think you have to wait for the 10 seconds, you can cancel it as soon as you want. However, my wife takes 30 secs minimum to find her phone.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can turn it off, see my earlier link to the gov site #13. Perhaps it could be advertised better, but it is the 1 in 4 that amazed me. 1 in 50 I could understand.

On the morning programme they were saying that some were unhappy with the timing of the alarm happening during their roast. I think it will be quite funny in a packed pub with simultaneous alarms going off. It will help with conversation.

I don't think you have to wait for the 10 seconds, you can cancel it as soon as you want. However, my wife takes 30 secs minimum to find her phone.

John

John,
Conversation is something that I don't have a problem with in Welsh pubs. Last time I was in this particular one a lady some 10 years my age asked if I was single! My son thought it extremely funny. This time it will be the first time Mrs OC has been with me. Love Spoons at dawn. But its the singing that I'm not too good with , unless they are the rugby songs from my time in Cardiff.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

John
My post in #7 ,tell how on an Android phone, my phone you can set it for 2seconds upwards and to repeat as necessary.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find it quite amusing that people are complaining about the government doing a test on a system that may save lives. For goodness sake the phone is going to make a noise the same as if you are receiving a text from a friend or relative and everyone else in the estbalishment is also going to get the text.

Do you switch off the phone just in case a friend or relative may text you during your roast? On numerous occasions I have seen people stop eating their food and let it get cold so that they can respond to a text on their phone. Can't understand why some make a big deal about it? Can they explain?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely in most medical establishments they request you to turn off your phone completely and not just to silence?

Why would they do that when most of the medical staff converse on mobiles as pagers aren’t used much if at all these days. When my BIL was in hospital earlier this year staff lent him a mobile to speak to us.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why would they do that when most of the medical staff converse on mobiles as pagers aren’t used much if at all these days. When my BIL was in hospital earlier this year staff lent him a mobile to speak to us.
I have no idea, but we have notices all over our locla hospital asking you to switch off your phone. I cannot recall seeing any medical staff using their phone and we visit the hospital at least once a week, but it may happen out of sight.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Surely in most medical establishments they request you to turn off your phone completely and not just to silence?
They ask you to turn off your phone because you would not believe the number of people who answer it or check it whilst they are talking to the NHS professional that they have been waiting to see. Trust me I was that NHS professional.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They ask you to turn off your phone because you would not believe the number of people who answer it or check it whilst they are talking to the NHS professional that they have been waiting to see. Trust me I was that NHS professional.
Mel
We would regard that as extremely rude and would walk away. Why is there an urgency to answer or read a text? If I am with someone, I will not answer the phone or check a text as after all what did we do before mobile phones were available?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We would regard that as extremely rude and would walk away. Why is there an urgency to answer or read a text? If I am with someone, I will not answer the phone or check a text as after all what did we do before mobile phones were available?

I agree, it is extremely rude, but it happened far more often than you would expect. I was the NHS professional and so “walking away” wasn’t an option. A polite but firm reminder was the best I could do. To be fair, the majority of my patients were lovely polite people but there are always those who are not.
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts