Energy prices

Page 13 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Strange re access to BG online. I’ve just tried via web access and BG app and both worked fine I could get into the area that has DD management. Have you been successful before in gaining access? You could try “ I forgot my password” reset it and try again.
When I click on the DD management tab, it states that due to technical issues it is not available. Also I cannot make an extra payment. I don't use the BGAS app and unlikely to use it at anytime now or in the future.
However I used the chat service to increase DD and that has been agreed. I was 105th in queue, but it went through quite quickly and helpful agent. 👍

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I click on the DD management tab, it states that due to technical issues it is not available. Also I cannot make an extra payment. I don't use the BGAS app and unlikely to use it at anytime now or in the future.
However I used the chat service to increase DD and that has been agreed. I was 105th in queue, but it went through quite quickly and helpful agent. 👍
That’s a successful outcome. When I accessed my DD amount it told me I could reduce payments from £80pm to £52.24 to stay on track. Not looking forward to April 2023, but hopefully some normality will have arrived.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We pay £204 per month but as this Winter seems to have been warmer than last I think t is going to mean we will be able to reduce it. I took the two ear fixed deal offered last September even though it looked expensive but I think I have got it right more by good luck than anything else. If things had got better though I could have cancelled without penalty.
My daughters mother in law took a three year deal last year and is safe from the rises, any one wish they had done that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We pay £204 per month but as this Winter seems to have been warmer than last I think t is going to mean we will be able to reduce it. I took the two ear fixed deal offered last September even though it looked expensive but I think I have got it right more by good luck than anything else. If things had got better though I could have cancelled without penalty.
My daughters mother in law took a three year deal last year and is safe from the rises, any one wish they had done that.
Looks like you did the same as me and Clive👍

May 7, 2012
Visit site
An interesting article in todays Daily Mail suggests that you might save as much as £200 a year by just switching things off or unplugging them. Many things continue to use power when plugged in, and while each is not great in its self, the cumulative effect can soon add up. Things like the chargers for phones and other devices continue to use power even though they are not attached to anything and even leaving devices on the charger when fully charged costs you. You then have things like TV's, cable or satellite boxes and others which will use power to keep them on stand by, basically if it has a red light on it is consuming power. so you should look at whether you need it on. It will not solve the price problems but might help a bit.

Reactions: JTQ and Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
An interesting article in todays Daily Mail suggests that you might save as much as £200 a year by just switching things off or unplugging them. Many things continue to use power when plugged in, and while each is not great in its self, the cumulative effect can soon add up. Things like the chargers for phones and other devices continue to use power even though they are not attached to anything and even leaving devices on the charger when fully charged costs you. You then have things like TV's, cable or satellite boxes and others which will use power to keep them on stand by, basically if it has a red light on it is consuming power. so you should look at whether you need it on. It will not solve the price problems but might help a bit.
Good suggestions if you have a lot of appliances on standby. Both our clocks are digital and plugged in 24/7 365 days. Microwave clock display is a hassle to set it up each time after switching off. Same with oven. We have never switched off our TV ever since we bought it. I have no idea if it has an on off switch! :sneaky:

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I have seen such articles over the years and remain sceptical. Clearly ‘stand by’ mode will use power. It’s how much, eg. Some years ago our electricity company (forget who that was), issued us with a monitor. This had a comparatively large plug in power supply. The instructions stated it only uses a few pence per year.

We have average, not excessive bills. But make little attempt to conserve. Some things are on smart switches, but they are continually powered so in themselves consume energy. All past attempts I have made to follow these recommendations have not made any noticeable difference.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have seen such articles over the years and remain sceptical. Clearly ‘stand by’ mode will use power. It’s how much, eg. Some years ago our electricity company (forget who that was), issued us with a monitor. This had a comparatively large plug in power supply. The instructions stated it only uses a few pence per year.

We have average, not excessive bills. But make little attempt to conserve. Some things are on smart switches, but they are continually powered so in themselves consume energy. All past attempts I have made to follow these recommendations have not made any noticeable difference.

John
I would think that when you fire up the appliance from being switched off, the extra power required may neutralise any savings from not having the unit on stand by?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would think that when you fire up the appliance from being switched off, the extra power required may neutralise any savings from not having the unit on stand by?

Possibly, and true of fluorescent lights.

My computer has stand by and sleep options, But since adding an SSD drive, start up time is so quick I now turn it off by smart plug. The speakers are also turned off but the printer stays on as it’s networked.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Possibly, and true of fluorescent lights.

My computer has stand by and sleep options, But since adding an SSD drive, start up time is so quick I now turn it off by smart plug. The speakers are also turned off but the printer stays on as it’s networked.

John
I also leave my laptop in sleep option and TV + HD box in standby we also have Wilko plug in night lights it says low energy x2

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ouch.

just worked out our power usage in standby. At todays cost.
No TV' running ,
5 pence per hr. X 24 =£1.2 x365 = £438 . Pa.

I might have to rethink about electrical items, thankfully no white goods on Bluetooth.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ouch.

just worked out our power usage in standby. At todays cost.
No TV' running ,
5 pence per hr. X 24 =£1.2 x365 = £438 . Pa.

I might have to rethink about electrical items, thankfully no white goods on Bluetooth.
That’s a substantial part of an annual bill. What’s on standby then?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A very very rough calculation for us comes to quite a bit less than £100

Not sure what your doing Hutch.

Strangely I am finding some people measuring their Samsung TV’s at 14 watts while Samsung say they are under 1watt.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am just going by the Smart meter remote. Ok detail .
3 TV's,
Stero system and amplifier.
3 led lights , living room , 6 pm to 23.59.
2 fridges, 1 fridge freezer, 1 freezer
1 computer, 3 tablets.
Washing machine turned off on the front, but not at the wall.
4 outside Led lights, 9pm until 5 pm.
Do electric Knife sharpeners and tin openers use power when not switched on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am just going by the Smart meter remote. Ok detail .
3 TV's,
Stero system and amplifier.
3 led lights , living room , 6 pm to 23.59.
2 fridges, 1 fridge freezer, 1 freezer
1 computer, 3 tablets.
Washing machine turned off on the front, but not at the wall.
4 outside Led lights, 9pm until 5 pm.
Do electric Knife sharpeners and tin openers use power when not switched on.
Cooker, oven , microwaves , boiler controls, pc too?

• Wow
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh yes, new Rise and recline chairs, don't need them yet But, Raise and vibrate bed, for wifes COPD.
All this old folks stuff, that we need or might need.
I need a lower seat for my motorbike as getting my leg over has been harder recently. 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Leg overs, vibrating bed…….too much to take in.
Never mind, the leather riding jeans for Xmas present.
A bit warm sitting in the pub garden today. 50 mile round trip. Pint of Final furlong, and a Sausage baugette,
Total power usage today, £4. 25. Hopefully a warm summer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its not just items switched to standby. Any plug in power brick or "wall wart" will consume some power even if the actual appliance is turned off. Every USB charger is consuming some power if its plugged into a live socket even if its not connected to a phone or what ever.

As Ray says each item on their own may only be consuming a fraction of a Watt, but it all adds up. For every Watt of power continually consumed over a years (8760 hours) will use nearly 9kW hours of power.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I face the dilemma in a couple of months of my current fixed price contract coming to an end and having to decide what to do next. I'll search around but it's crossed my mind wether or not to go onto a Standard Variable Tarriff in the hope prices come down. Then again there' s the prospect of another price hike later this year.

Any thoughts?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I face the dilemma in a couple of months of my current fixed price contract coming to an end and having to decide what to do next. I'll search around but it's crossed my mind wether or not to go onto a Standard Variable Tarriff in the hope prices come down. Then again there' s the prospect of another price hike later this year.

Any thoughts?
Well, that's the $6m question at the moment.
I recently decided to take a 12 month fixed price contract. I saw that prices since the last hike had already gone up by 30 odd percent and with the Ukraine situation not looking to be resolved any time soon I decided it may be the best route for now.
The contract I took has no penalty for leaving early IIRC. But it really is anyone's guess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts