Energy prices

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The moral is to cancel DDs yourself as soon as the last payment is made.
That is what I would normally have done but in an email from BGAS we were asked to leave the DD in place until the account had been moved over. BGAS moved the DD to themselves as we did not have to set up a new DD with them.
Seems they then forgot to cancel the old DD. We did a recall so hopefully the money will come back into my account. Took ages to get through to BGAS as they only use a chat system and when i joined I was 83rd in the queue!

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My change over to BG was February 4th the company that we were moved from, Together Energy have taken another payment from my account. I straight away stopped the DD and within a few hours had a email from the administrators asking why, so told them what to do, they can send me a bill or return any money owed to me.

Trevor

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My change over to BG was February 4th the company that we were moved from, Together Energy have taken another payment from my account. I straight away stopped the DD and within a few hours had a email from the administrators asking why, so told them what to do, they can send me a bill or return any money owed to me.

Trevor
I really struggled to get back that DD using the DD guarantee that Bristol Energy took when they should not have taken it. I had forgotten to check to see whether the DD had been closed when BGAS took over. We were in credit with Bristol Energy and the £94 would have added to the credit.
The biggest issue with BGAS is that they only bill you twice a year so by the time you get your bill which will be in August, Bristol Energy has been wound up by the administrators and closed completely and you will have lost out. I have requested BGAS that we have a quarterly bill.
These suppliers make enough money out of you so cannot understand why they cannot issue monthly bills? Also you cannot give your own readings to BGAS if you have a Smart meter and you can only see the opening reading until they next read it in a couple of months time.
Lastly BGAS grossly under estimate your DD so come August you will be in heavy debt to BGAS so double check the amount taken by BGAS and increase it if necessary!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really struggled to get back that DD using the DD guarantee that Bristol Energy took when they should not have taken it. I had forgotten to check to see whether the DD had been closed when BGAS took over. We were in credit with Bristol Energy and the £94 would have added to the credit.
The biggest issue with BGAS is that they only bill you twice a year so by the time you get your bill which will be in August, Bristol Energy has been wound up by the administrators and closed completely and you will have lost out. I have requested BGAS that we have a quarterly bill.
These suppliers make enough money out of you so cannot understand why they cannot issue monthly bills? Also you cannot give your own readings to BGAS if you have a Smart meter and you can only see the opening reading until they next read it in a couple of months time.
Lastly BGAS grossly under estimate your DD so come August you will be in heavy debt to BGAS so double check the amount taken by BGAS and increase it if necessary!
On the BG website or app I can see my monthly figures. It’s true that you only receive a paper bill twice a year as that is when they review usage and DD, and adjust as required. But via the website you can always ask for a bill. What I find strange though is that it takes about 10 days to arrive, when all my other utilities and banks etc provide a paperless statement.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the BG website or app I can see my monthly figures. It’s true that you only receive a paper bill twice a year as that is when they review usage and DD, and adjust as required. But via the website you can always ask for a bill. What I find strange though is that it takes about 10 days to arrive, when all my other utilities and banks etc provide a paperless statement.
Thanks for the heads up regarding meter reads as ours should be due today. I had to specially request a quarterly bill. I am quite happy to have my bill emailed to us so not sure why they cannot do it monthly anyway as it is all computer generated?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up regarding mete reads as ours should be due today. I had to specially request a quarterly bill. I am quite happy to have my bill emailed to us so not sure why they cannot do it monthly anyway as it is all computer generated?
Perhaps I didn’t make it clear. I find it strange that bill aren’t emailed or available to download when viewing your account. But you can see usage etc, but when you request a bill by using your account it arrives by snail mail. As per my latest following some discussion I had.

3BAF1112-5DC1-4F9B-B69B-724778B346FE.jpeg

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps I didn’t make it clear. I find it strange that bill aren’t emailed or available to download when viewing your account. But you can see usage etc, but when you request a bill by using your account it arrives by snail mail.
Although BGAS they had our supply from 23rd Jan, we only moved across on 4th Feb. BGAS have stated to us that it can take up to 5 - 6 months for everything to finalise so our credit with the previous supplier is now in limbo. Unfortunately we cannot log into the previous account to check the exact amount.
Also as it takes so long to resolve I am reluctant to change suppliers so will have no option, but to stick with BGAS for the next couple of months and then I am gone and you won't see me for dust! :ROFLMAO:
BTW according to their readings we are using about 22.5kwh per day although there are only the two of us. Seems a bit excessive?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We were dumped on BG in October, having been with NEon Reef-we were £148 in credit and it has just gone in to our BG account, so happy so far!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Although BGAS they had our supply from 23rd Jan, we only moved across on 4th Feb. BGAS have stated to us that it can take up to 5 - 6 months for everything to finalise so our credit with the previous supplier is now in limbo. Unfortunately we cannot log into the previous account to check the exact amount.
Also as it takes so long to resolve I am reluctant to change suppliers so will have no option, but to stick with BGAS for the next couple of months and then I am gone and you won't see me for dust! :ROFLMAO:
BTW according to their readings we are using about 22.5kwh per day although there are only the two of us. Seems a bit excessive?
If you think that their meter reads aren’t correct I would read the meter myself ( which I do anyway) and just log the figures over a a period. There are procedures that you can invoke re meter accuracy but you need to be pretty certain that you think it’s the meter as it could cost you if it’s not.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you think that their meter reads aren’t correct I would read the meter myself ( which I do anyway) and just log the figures over a a period. There are procedures that you can invoke re meter accuracy but you need to be pretty certain that you think it’s the meter as it could cost you if it’s not.
Our Smart meter is over 10 years old and technology has moved on since it was installed. What is confusing is if you follow the instructions you get two different reads.
The suppliers always select the lower read, but I have no idea if that is correct. No matter how many times I submitted reads, Bristol Energy ignored them preferring on occasions to over ride my reads with estimated reads although we have a Smart meter? No wonder they went pear shape!
On the BGAS email we got their is a link to upgrade to a Smart meter, but not sure whether they would upgrade ours so one that is simpler to read.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our Smart meter is over 10 years old and technology has moved on since it was installed. What is confusing is if you follow the instructions you get two different reads.
The suppliers always select the lower read, but I have no idea if that is correct. No matter how many times I submitted reads, Bristol Energy ignored them preferring on occasions to over ride my reads with estimated reads although we have a Smart meter? No wonder they went pear shape!
On the BGAS email we got their is a link to upgrade to a Smart meter, but not sure whether they would upgrade ours so one that is simpler to read.
The would change your meter to the new type, if the signal in your area is compatable, contact them and find out

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We get a monthly reminder from Octopus that they want a meter reading and when sent you normally get the bill next day. We took a two year fixed rate last year at what looked high at the time but may prove to be a wise move. My daughter has a two year one from May last year which is easily one of her better decisions as she should get next Winters power at the old lower rate.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought the older smart meters did not allow easy switching between the energy suppliers. The current generation do switch. So I would certainly ask to see if a new one can be fitted, or whether the existing one can be upgraded. If it gives different readings using the “ reading instructions” that’s not right.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought the older smart meters did not allow easy switching between the energy suppliers. The current generation do switch. So I would certainly ask to see if a new one can be fitted, or whether the existing one can be upgraded. If it gives different readings using the “ reading instructions” that’s not right.
That is correct and BTW thanks again for heads up regarding BGAS. I did a historic check on previous meter readings as close as possible and our energy usage has definitely dropped by a good margin in the past 2 months.
Maybe the new Eco machines we bought have helped plus turning the heating down from 20C to 18c between 10am and 3 pm?

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our power usage has dropped so far this Winter, but I think this is due to a milder winter this year and not anything we have done.
Ours has as well slightly, due to Mrs H, opening windows during the day, and causing us to put on a jumper rather than, closing windows and turning up the thermostat

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BGas are of course in big trouble with the FCA for failure to deliver services charged for. They are paying a fortune temporarily moving their engineers to other areas to resolve the issue. There is no longer any excuse for resolving bills in 5 month time scales. They know it . Remind them. They have been fined!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are with Octopus and so far the service has been excellent and we are in credit so very happy i hope it continues .

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
THe simplest and most effective way to cut energy bills is to use less! or a pair of scissors :devilish:
Does not work using less as the cost of energy has increased. Last year for Feb our cost was approximately £140, but this year it is nearly £190 although we used a lot less energy.

PS I do understand it was a bit of humour.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell the only saving on the standard tariffs you can make is with Octopus but even then it is simply an average of £50 off. It will not save you a lot but if it helps, then it might be worthwhile if they will let you switch and you do not have to pay a penalty to do this.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It has been very cold in the caravan this weekend. Heater on 2kw for 10 hours 500 w the rest. Usual fridge water heater etc. £6.00 a day . Nearly twice last years cost. Next two weeks we are on our prepaid last august FSP. 16 amp. £24..50 per night. I imagine the price today is far more . Will check it out tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It has been very cold in the caravan this weekend. Heater on 2kw for 10 hours 500 w the rest. Usual fridge water heater etc. £6.00 a day . Nearly twice last years cost. Next two weeks we are on our prepaid last august FSP. 16 amp. £24..50 per night. I imagine the price today is far more . Will check it out tomorrow.
Hi DD but you are having a nice time that is what counts what a little cold :giggle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts