Energy prices

Page 10 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This will help
The link relates to a fault with the meter and not recalibration which can be done remotely. It does seem they no longer fit a check meter which was a simple way of determining if a meter was at fault. At the end of the test the consumer can see both meters with their respective reads and both parties are then satisfied as there is no argument.
Would you be happy if they took away your meter for testing and then brought it back stating there was nothing wrong with it, but you knew there was an issue with it? On top of which you are charged for the test.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My topic was deliberately started with a different emphasis. Merging it has lost the essence of my question. However. my topic had very quickly shifted to be about conservation of energy which is no doubt why you merged.

My OP was asking about a third party and was about validating to check for overcharging. Now when I refer to that third party, it will be lost on the reader.......
John
I'm aware of why you started a new topic John, and your OP probably wasn't correctly addressed either which is a shame.
Unfortunately, as you saw, the thread morphed into the same discussion that was already taking place on two other similar threads.
I'm sorry that your original point may be lost on the reader, but it's not good forum practice to have very similar discussions in various places.
I spent an hour moving the various comments to one thread earlier today, it's my own fault for allowing different threads on the same subject to be opened on the message boards.
As moderators, we have to keep track of all forum content.
This can be challenging when similar comments from the same forum members start to appear in different places on this forum.
If a reader has lost track of the point that they were replying to, there's no problem in them appealing for help and we'll do our best to find what they are looking for.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm aware of why you started a new topic John, and your OP probably wasn't correctly addressed either which is a shame.
Unfortunately, as you saw, the thread morphed into the same discussion that was already taking place on two other similar threads.
I'm sorry that your original point may be lost on the reader, but it's not good forum practice to have very similar discussions in various places.
I spent an hour moving the various comments to one thread earlier today, it's my own fault for allowing different threads on the same subject to be opened on the message boards.
As moderators, we have to keep track of all forum content.
This can be challenging when similar comments from the same forum members start to appear in different places on this forum.
If a reader has lost track of the point that they were replying to, there's no problem in them appealing for help and we'll do our best to find what they are looking for.

I could see why you did it Parksy. The thread drift happened very quickly despite my attempt to steer it in the original and subsequent posts. We are all often guilty of reading, and answering, we think we see.

John

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The link relates to a fault with the meter and not recalibration which can be done remotely. It does seem they no longer fit a check meter which was a simple way of determining if a meter was at fault. At the end of the test the consumer can see both meters with their respective reads and both parties are then satisfied as there is no argument.
Would you be happy if they took away your meter for testing and then brought it back stating there was nothing wrong with it, but you knew there was an issue with it? On top of which you are charged for the test.

It is taken away and not brought back, they fit a new meter and yours is taken to an independent testing Center. The results of the test on your meter are sent to you and your supplier. What possible reason can you give to object to that procedure.

I fail to see how my elderly mains or gas meter can possibly be remotely calibrated or even checked for operation. The gas meter has no electrical connections, and unless the remote Center can access my electric meter via the mains how would they undertake remote access?

A calibration is normally carried out against a higher precision/ accuracy test equipment. I cannot see how my electric meter can be checked remotely let alone calibrated. When a customer has concerns over accuracy they need their meter to be tested against a defined standard, not calibrated.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I understood it to mean you have a statutory right to have the meter tested , by an independent party. That test had to ensure the meter is reading correctly , thus correctly calibrated. Secondly while all this is going on you get the chance to “play” with the temporary meter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I could see why you did it Parksy. The thread drift happened very quickly despite my attempt to steer it in the original and subsequent posts. We are all often guilty of reading, and answering, we think we see.

John
I think that to expect a definitive answer to your original post was a bit optimistic. Given that no two homes have the same equipment, or have the same operating approach how can members do anything other than give advise as to what might be the reasons. I suggested an audit for comparison between your house and your neighbours. But you had pretty well done that is my understanding. So unless the neighbour can pinpoint specific areas of difference and act on them, the most sensible way ahead is to request a meter test. Yes it may cost if the meter is found to be satisfactory, whereas if the meter is at fault it’s likely the cost will be zero, and the neighbour could even receive a refund on the excess payments made. The choice in my mind is quite clear cut.

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Delving into Google, it seems the legal instrument that covers our utility company's meters, is:-

“STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS
1998 No. 1566
ELECTRICITY The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998 “

Its, SCHEDULE 4 [ from page 21 onwards, “CERTIFICATION PERIODS”, details the certification period against the many types of meters used.

LINK

To my way of thinking, once our meters fall outside their period of certification, then they are going to get changed out, which as I said earlier has occurred at our home, for this or some other reason.
The impressively long periods that many types remain in certification, probably accounts why many contributors here. have not our experience.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Delving into Google, it seems the legal instrument that covers our utility company's meters, is:-

“STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS
1998 No. 1566
ELECTRICITY The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998 “

Its, SCHEDULE 4 [ from page 21 onwards, “CERTIFICATION PERIODS”, details the certification period against the many types of meters used.

LINK

To my way of thinking, once our meters fall outside their period of certification, then they are going to get changed out, which as I said earlier has occurred at our home, for this or some other reason.
The impressively long periods that many types remain in certification, probably accounts why many contributors here. have not our experience.
Some Fees in pence. Wonder what they are now?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Some Fees in pence. Wonder what they are now?

Yes, I noted that, makes me think there could be more up to date instruments out there, but this version's periods stacks with the certification life for the older meters we had over the years, since built and moved in back in 1966.

Of interest elsewhere in there, was a tolerance to over read by 2.5 per cent; though possibly unlikely, that does with today's pricing where £1000 of "leccy" is a probability, I could be "robbed" of £25, equates to two nights on a CL, even with EHU.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I noted that, makes me think there could be more up to date instruments out there, but this version's periods stacks with the certification life for the older meters we had over the years, since built and moved in back in 1966.

Of interest elsewhere in there, was a tolerance to over read by 2.5 per cent; though possibly unlikely, that does with today's pricing where £1000 of "leccy" is a probability, I could be "robbed" of £25, equates to two nights on a CL, even with EHU.
As far as I can see the Act you quoted is still current (sic)😁

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't remember starting this thread however my thread "Not again" seems to have been merged with energy prices although it had nothing to do with energy prices but transfer of suppliers?

However today I got a bill from Bristol energy for the period 8th Dec till 22nd Jan advising that we owe them £72 and we need to pay it. Although we have a Smart meter they estimated our opening and closing reads but with a proper reading on 5th Jan 2022. we were moved to BGAS on 23rd Jan.

On checking my current account it shows that a DD for amount a lot more than the £72 was paid so they actually owe us. However they are not answering any queries, but you get the standard notification that your credit balance is protected. Guess it is now a game of a long wait and see.

I have been trying to increase the amount of my current DD with BGAS due to high usage, but typically from the useless BGAS all I get is "Sorry, we're having technical problems at the moment. Please come back and try again later. "

Looking forward to the day when we can get away from BGAS even if we end up paying slightly more it will be worth it! :mad:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are so lucky👍👍SWMBO took out a two year contract last June with BGas for Gas Electricity and breakdown . £156. monthly. This month they have reduced the DD to £126. It must be all the time we have spent away from home? So for the next 12 months we are laughing but are expecting a catastrophic shock next year😥

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to BGAS when we were transferred from our previous supplier due to it going into admin the rate below is what we are supposed to be on until 31/03/23.

Unit rate20.592p per kWh
Standing charge‡25.093p per day

However on the the BGAS website when I log into my account they state that my tariff should be

Standard unit rate27.865p per kWh
Standing charge 48.127p per day*

Very confusing as a huge difference in charge per kw, but the jump in the standing charged is massive and IMHO a total rip off.

However it does beg the question as we are supposed to be in contract with BGAS until 31/03/2023 at the original agreed rate, can BGAS still increase the costs massively again in April? I am not sure if the transfer rules allow this and it si difficult to get a straight answer.

I am not really expecting anyone to be able to answer the above as I am just pondering at the moment as cannot get answers from elsewhere.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
According to BGAS when we were transferred from our previous supplier due to it going into admin the rate below is what we are supposed to be on until 31/03/23.

Unit rate20.592p per kWh
Standing charge‡25.093p per day

However on the the BGAS website when I log into my account they state that my tariff should be

Standard unit rate27.865p per kWh
Standing charge 48.127p per day*

Very confusing as a huge difference in charge per kw, but the jump in the standing charged is massive and IMHO a total rip off.

However it does beg the question as we are supposed to be in contract with BGAS until 31/03/2023 at the original agreed rate, can BGAS still increase the costs massively again in April? I am not sure if the transfer rules allow this and it si difficult to get a straight answer.

I am not really expecting anyone to be able to answer the above as I am just pondering at the moment as cannot get answers from elsewhere.

Can you ask OFGEM?

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't remember starting this thread however my thread "Not again" seems to have been merged with energy prices although it had nothing to do with energy prices but transfer of suppliers?

However today I got a bill from Bristol energy for the period 8th Dec till 22nd Jan advising that we owe them £72 and we need to pay it. Although we have a Smart meter they estimated our opening and closing reads but with a proper reading on 5th Jan 2022. we were moved to BGAS on 23rd Jan.

On checking my current account it shows that a DD for amount a lot more than the £72 was paid so they actually owe us. However they are not answering any queries, but you get the standard notification that your credit balance is protected. Guess it is now a game of a long wait and see.

I have been trying to increase the amount of my current DD with BGAS due to high usage, but typically from the useless BGAS all I get is "Sorry, we're having technical problems at the moment. Please come back and try again later. "

Looking forward to the day when we can get away from BGAS even if we end up paying slightly more it will be worth it! :mad:

To contrast that. We are on the variable tariff and yesterday had a generic email from Octopus to warn us to expect higher prices in the future. (I think we all know that), but nice of them to inform us officially. Actually this is the second email.

They said we did not need to increase the £130 we were paying for the time being. However. Even though we are £131 in credit, I put the DD up to £150. I feel it best to be ahead of the game.

It is also important to keep up the subsidy for OC and Dusty🥴

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you were replying to your post you would ask “Do you have the original agreement in writing”?😉I suspect there will be a variation clause especially for those whose original supplier went bust.
The Standing Charges imo are not fairly calculated. We know what and why but I sense the supplier takes advantage of the punter and applies a meaningless % increase to help their own bottom line.🤔

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

With the exception of Bulb, all the companies going bust had their customers transferred to standard variable tariff at their new suppliers, losing any fixed price deal from the previous supplier - so yes, they can increase their standard variable tariff on 1st April.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With the exception of Bulb, all the companies going bust had their customers transferred to standard variable tariff at their new suppliers, losing any fixed price deal from the previous supplier - so yes, they can increase their standard variable tariff on 1st April.
Even if they state the following;

Tariff ends on31st March 2023
Price guaranteed until31st March 2023

On both the previously posted tariffs. I think even Ofgem will be very confused with BGAS different tariffs for the same supply.
BTW to contact Ofgem is a very complex process as before approaching Ofgem, you need to follow the complaints procedure with the the supplier.
If there is no resolution after 8 weeks the next step is to request a deadlock letter from the supplier. once you have the deadlock letter the supplier is supposed to stop all action and suspend the account, but this rarely happens and you continue to get threatening letters.
Once you have the deadlock letter from the supplier which is not easy to get only then can you escalate the complaint to the Energy Ombudsman or Ofgem. This cna take another 2 - 3 months due to the high volume of complaints regarding energy suppliers.
Unfortunately this is what we had to do when at a previous residence Npower billed us for over £400 for gas although they were not our supplier and the gas MPAN number was different. They would not listen or read any letters properly. It was for another property. Took about 6 months to resolve even after intervention by Ofgem. Turned out that we were nto the only ones being billed incorrectly as one old persioner got a bill for in excess of £22k from Npower and she lived in a small 1 bedroom flat!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have been with B ULB, so hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel
Bulb is costing taxpayers billions of pounds - no company will take their customers on so they remain with Bulb and still benefit from cheap fixed price contracts so the company is losing even more money which the taxpayer is picking up the bill.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are so lucky👍👍SWMBO took out a two year contract last June with BGas for Gas Electricity and breakdown . £156. monthly. This month they have reduced the DD to £126. It must be all the time we have spent away from home? So for the next 12 months we are laughing but are expecting a catastrophic shock next year😥
I took out the same contract with BG and at £80 pm I have been overpaying and received a £75 refund and a reduced DD amount, which i promptly put back to £80pm.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bulb is costing taxpayers billions of pounds - no company will take their customers on so they remain with Bulb and still benefit from cheap fixed price contracts so the company is losing even more money which the taxpayer is picking up the bill.
HMG set aside £1.7bn to support Bulb until a solution was determined. Present estimates are that it will rise fourfold to £6.8bn.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ian, I hear everything you say and in normal times loads more discussion may follow.
Sadly we are all in deep guano on energy pricing thanks to a nutter living east of us. Ironically we may have to say , tic, take it on the chin and be grateful we still have energy. Now going forward as the World collapses don’t ask me to worry today about green. I will in the future but there is a time and a place where we have to tool up to conditions beyond our control

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bulb is changing their tarrif on 1st April, I am with them and at the moment willing to stay with them . Lets see what happens later in the year.
I cannot see companys doing set tarrifs for 2 years ahead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts