entering Dfds ferry Newcastle/Amsterdam

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Had our first encounter this year boarding the car ferry with our car and caravan - have to say that it was a bit daunting being directed to what I describe as an elevated deck - having to stop on this and then be told to move closer to the unit in front was a nightmare - the aforementioned deck must have at least a 20 degree incline - I nearly burned the clutch out on our car - so my enquiry is do I have to go where the Marshall directs me on the ferry or can I opt to use the deck which is level to approach - any advice would be most welcome

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The loading marshalls have to optimise the space available against the number, type and size of vehicles travelling - it's normal to go exactly where you're told so always keep going until they signal to stop - as leaving a "normal gap" will waste too much space.

It could be worse - the old Shetland ferry required caravans to reverse all the way up the loading ramp and onto the car deck as the bow doors were welded shut because of the changes required after the Zeebrugge disaster (but the new ferry is drive-through Ro-Ro) - the fast Orkney ferry still requires caravans to reverse on, although the slow ferry doesn't.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Loading is a complicated process and the ferries will try and fit as many vehicles on as possible. This means packing them in tight at times and also loading them so that the weight is correctly distributed. I am afraid you have to go where you are told or just not get on.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
In future I shall be holding back until the unit in front is clearly stopped and positioned - only then will I attempt to tackle the steep gradient - the iron decking doesn't have the best of grip - I am sure others must have been caught out likewise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Holding back until you can see exactly where you are going to park is a good idea but may provoke arm waving from the deck crew. My advice is stick to your plan, particularly if not on the level. There's no saying how much the guy in front may roll back when he finally comes to rest, and the last thing you need is a bump.

I've had some less than wonderful marshalling on and off ferries recently. The opeerators clearly have no idea that a 12m. outfit needs to corner quite widely as the caravan will cut across the inside angle. Just take you time - there will doubtless be a queue at passport control, so there is actually no great hurry to get off the boat (although you wouldn't think so by the way some behave. I usually prefer to be last off rather than first off as it gives more time to get accustomed to the 'other side' check the mirros, set the satnav etc.

TRENDING THREADS