Essential Equipment for Newbies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We have some black chocs that came with the van, some yellow levellers, and some wooden blocks we take with us. Failing that we find that many sites have the odd breeze block hanging around which will do!

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DJMilly said:
Brian_C thanks for your reply.

We're probably not able to negotiate anything in to the deal because the caravan Is a show van and we've agreed the price. However the caravan won't be available until March so if I offer to pay the bulk of the balance in cash three months early there may be some negotiation available. What do you think?

Well I'm not sure how buying a show van works but the company selling to you must be really pleased about your commitment so early I only hope you have got it for a really Sensational price.
Your idea about early payment for some additional equipment could have some sway but I would advice caution. They may not be too willing now having already got a deal with you. Plus if you still owe them money they may be more obliging if you come across issues at the time of handover/collection.

I'm sure others will advise you or anyone when buying a caravan from a dealer you really need to negotiate hard and perhaps try a couple of different dealerships to ensure you have got the best price and overall deal.
Perhaps it may be worth your while doing a bit of research into the average prices for the van you have chosen in the next few weeks. You could combine it with looking around showrooms for accessories. You may be suprised just how much discount for the same model van you may be offered if the dealer thinks he may have a sale, obviously you are able to do this with the comfort of knowing you have the show one to fall back on.

Finally if you only remember one thing from all the posts I would respectfully ask you to remember that when you go to collect your new van make sure you have plenty of time. Don't be rushed and get the dealer to show you everything actually working not just an explanation of how things work. Get them to record any snags you come across and explain how they intend to resolve them. Most of us could be guilty of just wanting to get away home with the van and prepare for the first outing. However time spent making sure everything is how it should be will be well spent.
I'm sure you will love the van when you get it and I wish you many happy holidays.

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello again Brian_C

I wouldn't call the deal sensational but there is a saving on the list price of the new van, plus we should hopefully be able to collect it in April. We were told the 2015 Swift Challenger Sport 524 wouldn't be available until later in the year from the production line. With it being a new model there aren't any other new ones available. The dealer has said that he will demonstrate the van fully and even go on a drive.

I really appreciate your advise together with others who have kindly contributed to my post.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
The mistake that I made when I started caravanning was to purchase an Avtex 240v/12volt television. I always go to sites with EHU so the expensive Avtex was a waste of money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you haven't already done so consider joining one of the major Clubs. They have advice for just your situation/ I cannot speak for C and CC but the Caravan Club handbook has a checklist for pre-trip which will lits lots of things you should have packed and therefore should be on your list. There are also a number of very helpful leaflets on such things as tyres, leisure batteries etc. You will also find that the majority of y fellow addicts (who you are about to join) are only too willing to offer advice, give you sources of supply etc. = all you have to do is ask in a friendly way.

I note you have already realised the importance of a bottle opener. Extend this to include a corkscrew !

When you take delivery, do not be afraid to ask the salesman to explain any term which you do not understand. Like most things, caravanning has it's own vocabulary and acronyms which you may find unusual now but which will be second nature in a few months. For example EHU for electrical hook-up by which you connect your caravan to the supply on a campsite using a cable (EHU cable) to connect to a socket usually on a bollard (fancy name for a post). Again the CC handbook tells you exactly the correct way to do this i.e. which end to connect first. You may also save yourself some discomfort by understanding the electrical current consumption of the appliances fitted to the caravan cooker, heater, microwave etc. plus those you may take with you e..g. kettle and toaster to ensure you don not overload the connection which will then trip out leaving you perhaps literally in the dark. This is a situation which vary raely if ever occurs in normal household occupation and can be quite annoying if you don't know why it happens.

But - as others ahve said - the most important thing is to enjoy the new caravan. Good luck !

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DJMilly said:
Hello again Brian_C

I wouldn't call the deal sensational but there is a saving on the list price of the new van, plus we should hopefully be able to collect it in April. We were told the 2015 Swift Challenger Sport 524 wouldn't be available until later in the year from the production line. With it being a new model there aren't any other new ones available. The dealer has said that he will demonstrate the van fully and even go on a drive.

I really appreciate your advise together with others who have kindly contributed
to my post.

Yes I can see what you mean. It's a bit of a cleft stick really if the new model is scarce at the moment.

Our situation was similar but the other way around.

By chance our van was the only new one we could find right at the end of the production run. One of the last to be made in the traditional way before Baily went over to Alu-Tech construction. We had virtually settled on a used one at a local dealership but decided to think about it overnight. Of course I checked the Internet the same evening, more to find out what the original price would have been. Whilst looking I came across the one we now have discounted for clearance, but further away than I would have liked. But it was new where the one we had almost signed for was 15 months old.
The morning after we called them and over the phone they agreed a trade in price for our old van £700 more than we had been offered for the used one.
(Obviously this was subject to them inspecting and aggreeing with what I'd told them over the phone about the condition)
So we went over and did the deal only £800 more than we were going to pay for the used one. And obviously with a 6 year rather than twelve month warranty.
I'm sure your van will be all you are hoping for and if you get the same enjoyment from it that we are having from ours you will never look back.
Best regards Brian

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Not an item of equipment, but if you've never towed anything big, consider a caravan manoevering course - both of the big clubs do them, and if you haven't already thought of joining one of them, many people find its worth doing so just for the discounted insurance.

I did the C&CC course because that's what I was a member of at the time - it's pretty good and gave me what I wanted, I've read about the Caravan Club course and that seems to be more detailed and cover more areas. It's horses for courses, of course if you've got experience towing big things already then you may not consider the extra training worthwhile.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone and a good new year. I've just caught up with this thread, and must admit that you seem to have been given some sound advice from all the others, but I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the most important things, without which caravanning can be almost unsustainable. You need to pack a great big portion of FUN every time you go out in the van.
Good luck, and enjoy your new lifestyle.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Crikey, I confess myself to be somewhat gobsmacked by the list of 'essentials' some forumites have included!

I have just returned from a 9-night stay at the Blackmore C&CC site. During the very cold spell the site suffered numerous black-outs; I can't help but wonder whether all these electrical goodies that have been suggested were all given heavy use during the dark, cold evenings. E.g., most of the black-outs occurred at mealtimes, so were there lots of these electric hobs in use, as well as toasters, televisions, microwaves etc? And of course most people would be powering their heating via the EHU as well?

Quite apart from the consumption of power, I'd be concerned about the additional weight of all these 'essentials', one always has to bear the loading allowance in mind. DJMilly, when you get your caravan, and start accumulating accessories for it, it might be an idea to weigh everything to ensure you don't exceed the maximum for your caravan.

Lots of advice has already been proffered about the two major clubs, I would certainly advise you to join one of them. Quite apart from the advice you get via this forum, both clubs offer help and advice on all aspects of caravanning. Added to which you will receive details of all their big sites (all of which are to a certain standard, which I consider clean, secure and quiet!) plus a cornucopia of smaller and often more basic sites, for members only.

As Emmerson says - go out there and enjoy yourselves! Don't stock up with too much stuff to start with - you will learn by experience what is going to be appropriate for you. Good luck, and happy caravanning!

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
CyberCynth thanks very much for your sound advise. I plan to take the new caravan to a public weigh bridge and weigh all the items before our maiden voyage of discovery.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Sensible, DJMilly! I keep meaning to do likewise. However, I have a generous loading allowance on my caravan. As it's a folder I don't have very much room to carry extras so that's one reason I keep the number of accessories to an absolute minimum. There's a limit to the amount of stuff I can squeeze in the car!

Anyway, sounds as though you've got your head screwed on the right way DJ, I'm sure you'll soon work out a caravanning regime appropriate to your own needs. Once again, good luck!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While going to a weigh bridge is a good idea, you can get a good approximation more easily by buying an airline baggage scale - say from Amazon for about £10 - and weighing and noting the wight of each item beffore you put it on board. The scale is also useful for checking weight of gas bottles to see how much you have used. When you get a new on, weigh it, Assuming a standard Calorlite it will be around 13 kg (? but it does not really matter) as 6 kg will be the gas. Note the full value. Later when you check the weight this fulll value minus the present weight will be gas used and as this figure approaches 6 kg you bottle will be nearly empty.

As a guide a spare wheel and type will be around 20 kg. Awning with steel poles will have the weight sttated in the blurb but could be up to 30 kg. For liquids the assumption of 1 kg/litre will be fine plus the packaging.

The item which may surprise you will be books and other paper. Put your paperbacvks into a supermarket plastic bag and see just how heavy they are - then add those belonging to wife and kids..

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks RayS, I had planned on buying an airline baggage scale. I was going to use a weighbridge with the van empty because we will be adding motor movers and it would be useful to have a starting weight.

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Paul_5041263, nope it's a 2015 Swift Challenger Sport which I understand has been much improved regarding damp issues they should be a thing of the past for Swift now they're using SMART timber-less body frames!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
When we bought our new Swift Challenger, the dealer showed us how everything worked on the inside and when we stepped outside we found that the push buttons on the battery box and wet locker didn't open properly and needed attention. We waited while they got someone from the workshop to come and sort it out before we towed it away. So don't forget to check any drop-down lids on the outside :)

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Set of pans and a good frying pan, we have a Cadac which we would not be without the one thing we took out of the caravan once and forgot was matches sounds daft i know but it was a pain not having them. I also have Coffee, sugar, salt,pepper and tomato sauce , washing up liquid, which stays in the caravan except when we know we arent going off for a few weeks and spray oil.

Im sure you will have more lists than anything its only once youve been away you will know what you need, alos recommend a folding table and chairs so you can sit out and enjoy your surroundings weather allowing.

Hubby says rechargeable drill for the legs . Happy caravaning and welcome to the club

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi DJ

Having read back through these post's no one has mentioned either of the most important things IMO ...
Now i don't know if they come with a new caravan, but these would be at the very top of my shopping list ;)

A smoke detector :eek:hmy: and a Carbon Monoxide Alarm just be aware that some carbon monoxide detectors have a max working temp, ( cheapest is not always best in these circumstances ) the inside of a van can get rather warm in the middle of summer, more so if you are to venture abroad.

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Sproket you're quite right to mention these two very important safety items. I've checked and our caravan has these fitted as standard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts