Essential Equipment for Newbies

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
We're due to buy our 1st Caravan in March and we'd like some help on what we should buy to kit ourselves out? Please could forum members reply with what they consider essential items so we don't waste our money on kit we're not likely to need? Please include security devises, levellers kitchen equipment etc.

We've booked tickets to the Caravan & Motorhome Show in Manchester, are there usually deals on equipment as the shows? Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Water carrier, waste water collector, loo chemicals, lightweight towels, bedding, cutlery, lightweight plates etc, kettle, microwave, toaster, teapot, washup stuff, BOTTLE OPENER, bbq, levelers, chocks, step, wheel lock, hitch lock, tech chargers, ehu cable, gas...the list goes on, but however you travel the main thing to remember is to enjoy yourselves!

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi DJMILLY,
Apart from the obvious hitchlock and wheel clamp for security as the basic security level ,then trackers, steady locks etc add extra cost.
We use a halogen oven and an electric ring to save using gas as you pay for electric on most sites.

happy new year

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Crazyguider, which chocks and levellers do you use? There are so many to choose from it's quite confusing! Good call re. Bottle Opener!! :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Stick to absolute essentials - don't get hooked early on caravan-specific items (apart from a low-wattage kettle) as you can easily find you buy things thinking you might use them but never do.

Lightweight melamine crockery and plastic "glasses" are good for saving weight but not to everyone's tastes - we mix & match with mainly melamine cups/plates but 2 crock plates to retain the heat and can go in the oven or microwave when needed plus proper glasses for drinking - others insist on crockery for tea/coffee but we don't find that an issue personally.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
DJMilly said:
Thanks RogerL, which towing mirrors do you use with your Santa Fe? We have a VW Tiguan.
I use a Milenco Grand Aero on the driver's door mirror which I can thoroughly recommend.

Originally, I used another Milenco Grand Aero on the passenger's door mirror but it's so far back my wife blocks the view if she moves - so I went back to a Hella front-arch mirror that I used as a pair before the law required the one on the drivers door to be adjustable from the driver's seat. I do prefer wing mounted mirrors as they can be used as "aiming" references, if the mirror will go through the gap then the caravan will.

Think carefully whether you want flat glass or convex - or indeed one of each - there's no right/wrong answer - probably best to stick with whatever your car door mirrors use.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Regarding your choice of leveling ramps.........

I use a pair of these they can be put together to make a wider base if you are on soft ground, they won't sink in due to a solid base. ;)

chockmaster_zpsea0ca42a.jpg

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don't buy your kitchen items from Caravan shops. You can get perfectly good plastic and melamine plates etc from places like Wilkinson for much letter. The exception is the low wattage kettle. Remember that you can't put melamine in a microwave. You can get lots of Caravanning essentials like Aquarolls and Wastemasters off eBay.
Have fun purchasing.
Mel

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello DJ Milly
You say you are getting a caravan later. My advice would be to have a good look at what types of essential items you really need to get you started. Then try to negotiate them into the deal when purchasing your van. Obviously I'm assuming you will be using a dealer.
However if you are buying privately it would be unusual if the seller didn't have an whole range of equipment that they were throwing into the deal.

Lots of caravan showroom accessories look good and seem like a good idea at the time but experience will show you after a trip or two what items are actually required.
Obviously you will need the essentials like water carrier, waste Hog, leisure battery.etc.
Good luck with your choice of van and I hope you have many enjoyable trips.
Regards Brian

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Brian_C thanks for your reply.

We're probably not able to negotiate anything in to the deal because the caravan Is a show van and we've agreed the price. However the caravan won't be available until March so if I offer to pay the bulk of the balance in cash three months early there may be some negotiation available. What do you think?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
DJMilly said:
Sprocket that is exactly the reason why I posted my question! I'll be placing an order!

As much as i / we like coffee, but rather than just drinking the same type / brand, was the reason behind buying the Tassimo for the van plenty of drinking choice ..... :)
it's as light as a kettle and only 1300w ( approx 6amp ) .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts