EV Towing

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps we need a forum rule like that of the excellent radio program 'Just a minute '

60 seconds on the subject; no repetition: no deviations.
:):):):):)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Been going for about 50 years. I remember it from when Kenneth Williams was on it. He could talk for a whole 60 seconds without breaking the rules.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Maybe listening to radio 4 will be an excellent way to "while away the time charging your EV".

It's also one of the more serious channels not devoted to constant "music" and light hearted/sensationalist banter (Jeremy Vine the Daily Mail of Broadcasting for example).

You even get a balanced debate on issues where differing standpoints are discussed.

If you've never tuned into radio 4 maybe you should try.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe listening to radio 4 will be an excellent way to "while away the time charging your EV".

It's also one of the more serious channels not devoted to constant "music" and light hearted/sensationalist banter (Jeremy Vine the Daily Mail of Broadcasting for example).

You even get a balanced debate on issues where differing standpoints are discussed.

If you've never tuned into radio 4 maybe you should try.

That explains why we have never listened to Radio 4 as no need to charge our EV which we don't have. 😂 😂

The radio is so full of desponding news and idiots like JV that we now prefer the music stations like Greatest hits, Gold, heart etc. We used to listen to Ken Bruce's Music quiz program in the mornings, but he has now moved to Greatest Hits.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pure EV's will use grid electricity to recharge, and that depends on where you live as to the mix of fuel sources used to generate the electricity.

Hybrids will may have a number ways to recharge the battery, some will use regenerative braking, and some might also use the engine to bulk charge the battery.

PHEV's use mains power to bulk charge the battery but may also use the processes used by the Hybrids.

All these points have been extensively explained and proven several times previously, and yet you continue to perpetuate these inaccuracies.

Not quite, yes both ICE and EV's do have an impact on the environment, but that impact is different, and over time EV's have less impact which is why they are overall a better prospect from an environmental proposition.

Following on from your comments NASA published a report in Autumn last year showing the emission of methane from oil/gas facilities and a number of super emitters leak the equivalent of 30 years US greenhouse gas production. Just one emits the equivalent of 67 million cars.

A good starting point would be for those responsible for the super emitters to clean up their act asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes and ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Clive, that is a good example of how the petrochemical industry continues to be a major polluter on a massive scale, yet tries to spread doubt about EV's by spreading disproportionate rumours of concerning the environmental and humanities damage of battery production, yet they are and have been causing environmental pollution human and animal misery for years which has been ignored when comparing the eco credentials of ICe and EV's

I'm not trying to make out EV's are the only answer to environmental issues we face, they are not! But even if they are charged by electricity generated from fossil fuels, EV's are significantly more efficient and so to do the same journey will use less energy, and that means less fuel, but also because of the way the fuel is burnt at a power station, many of the really nasty tail pipe emissions made be ICE are avoided.

EV's are not the answer for everyone, groups like caravanner's place difficult demands on their vehicles, presently going EV for a tugger is not an automatic option. There is a lot to be done before EV's become the obvious choice for the tin tent brigade.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It will need a lot more towing bays and better ranges to make me move to an EV. I did see a an article suggesting they lose a third of their range in Winter so then down to 70 or so miles with a caravan.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
It will need a lot more towing bays and better ranges to make me move to an EV. I did see a an article suggesting they lose a third of their range in Winter so then down to 70 or so miles with a caravan.
Not my experience Ray. Towing in rain and cold has an impact, but it means more like 110-120 miles instead of 130-140, so more like 10% to 20%, rather than 33%. Of course it depends on your car, your caravan, driving style, road and traffic conditions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not my experience Ray. Towing in rain and cold has an impact, but it means more like 110-120 miles instead of 130-140, so more like 10% to 20%, rather than 33%. Of course it depends on your car, your caravan, driving style, road and traffic conditions.
I have not yet seen a charging bay that is undercover. Is that correct as not nice getting soaked while connecting up?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I have not yet seen a charging bay that is undercover. Is that correct as not nice getting soaked while connecting up?
Covered chargers in carparks are rare, which is very annoying. In service areas - it varies, mostly by vendor. On Friday afternoon and Saturday I went to the lakes and back from south Northamptonshire (not towing) - about 500 miles all in I think. We used a rapid charger at Crow Orchard just off M6J27. The chargers there are by MFG and are covered. It seems to be the MFG way. Rugby services off M6J1 where we stopped for a comfort break is not covered (but had loads of chargers). Very impressive, but a roof would be nice!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Realistically, for those that actually run a pure EV, what do you run the mileage range down to before you start to panic? Personally I am looking to refill my car with petrol when it gets down to 75 miles left in the tank, if I get caught in slow traffic etc the range remaining drops a lot and I then start to get a bit panicky!!! If an EV's TOWING range is (for sake of arguments) 150 miles, the driver is unlikely to do 145 miles before looking to recaharge.

Just curious as to what sort of mileage those that tow with an EV do before the panic sets in?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My sons new Vauxhall Vivaro is proving a challenge. It comes with the larger 75kw battery. He covers a 50 mile radius around Harrogate North Yorkshire.
In the recent sub zero weather he kept it in Eco. Did a daily 100 miles with a range balance of10 miles. Downside was no heating etc to conserve the power.. Eco cuts off all ancilliaries. Early days for him but already he and his colleagues are missing their clean burn VW diesels. The Jury is out so we will see what happens over next two years.
https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vans/vivaro/electric/range-calculator.html

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Realistically, for those that actually run a pure EV, what do you run the mileage range down to before you start to panic? Personally I am looking to refill my car with petrol when it gets down to 75 miles left in the tank, if I get caught in slow traffic etc the range remaining drops a lot and I then start to get a bit panicky!!! If an EV's TOWING range is (for sake of arguments) 150 miles, the driver is unlikely to do 145 miles before looking to recaharge.

Just curious as to what sort of mileage those that tow with an EV do before the panic sets in?
So two things here. For normal every day use, I don't "run it down" in the same way that you are used to for petrol/diesel cars. When I get home, if I need to, I plug it in and it recharges over night while I sleep. For the vast majority of the time, it sits at somewhere between 50% and 90%. Then it's ready to go for 200 miles the next day. Rinse and repeat.

But - on a long journey (where I will always leave home with a 100% full battery and pre-conditioned car for comfort), my guide is not how much electricity is left, so much as how much comfort I have left in me for driving. When I pull over to stop, I also charge. That tends to be somewhere between 2 and 2.5 hours of driving time, which equates to between 100 and 170 miles of distance (traffic dependant) and might leave me with between 50% and 20% of battery left. The exact location I choose to stop at will be governed by a combination of number of free chargers (which I can see on the dash), cost of those chargers (some are vastly cheaper for me to use than others), and how long I feel I can hold it:LOL:.

But again - its a mindset thing - for a journey beyond by battery range, I am not planning where to go 5 miles before I run out, I am planning the moment I put the destination in the nav at the beginning (because it will tell me repeatedly "you cant get to your destination with this charge level - would you like to plan to charge") and probably the day (or days or a week) before.

But - unlike with all my previous fuel cars where remaining range readout basically dropped to "unknown" below about 35 miles, my EV (and they vary in this capability) will show me how much battery I will have left incredibly accurately at my navigation destination, to within about 2 miles. I am more than happy to plan for my next charge to be as low as 2% (4 miles range) if I am heading home (where I am guaranteed to charge) or - to a public charging location - about 5% to 10% solo, and about 8%-12% towing.
Other than the towing case (where I am far more interested in being able to park the caravan while I charge), the main consideration is bladder capacity.

EDIT - One other HUGE difference between ICE and EV. When you are caught in traffic either a slow jam, or stop start, your range goes up. ICE are very inefficient at low speeds, especially start-stop. EV are MOST efficient at low speeds and start stop is a bit of a wash with regen braking (which is why hybrids work well in town).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... Personally I am looking to refill my car with petrol when it gets down to 75 miles left in the tank, if I get caught in slow traffic etc the range remaining drops a lot and I then start to get a bit panicky!!!...

EV's like ICE will use energy more efficiently if running slowly, but with ICE there comes a point such as in stop start traffic where the mpg actually drops unless you have stop start engine control. EV's inherrently have stop start contro,l and arguably those conditions are when they are at their most efficient. especially if the vehicle uses regenerative braking.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm know next to nothing about EVs but from my very limited use, the battery is still draining when stationary as the Aircon, Heater, Heated Seats, Entertainment system etc will still be running.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm know next to nothing about EVs but from my very limited use, the battery is still draining when stationary as the Aircon, Heater, Heated Seats, Entertainment system etc will still be running.
In ECO mode the Vivaro cuts off all the ancillaries mentioned. Wisely my son is experimenting daily. He and his colleagues know there are limitations on distance versus comfort, eg aircon heaters etc but for now they are concentrating on daily working range. A mid day charge up is not possible. Their job lists are part chosen by HO.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
If absolutely stationary, then yes, your efficiency is Zero. I.e. you burn through your entire battery for no miles. Just as with a stationary petrol car, your MPG is 0. The ancillaries in an EV take a relatively small amount of power compared to the power needed to make the car accelerate or overcome drag when at cruising speed.

When stationary, with heat at 20C, two heated seats, heated steering wheel and the entertainment on (watching youtube or iplayer on the central screen) and 1C outside, mine used about 1% (2 miles range) in 90 mins. That was in Jan 2022, and was the one and only time I have been stuck in completely stationary traffic for any length of time since I have had it.

Given I have a 75kWh usable battery 1% = 750Wh so the power drain averaged at about 500w. From full - thats 6.5 days of stationary use before draining the battery. For reference the peak power in my motors is 300kW. 600 times the power used when stationary.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If absolutely stationary, then yes, your efficiency is Zero. I.e. you burn through your entire battery for no miles. Just as with a stationary petrol car, your MPG is 0. The ancillaries in an EV take a relatively small amount of power compared to the power needed to make the car accelerate or overcome drag when at cruising speed.

When stationary, with heat at 20C, two heated seats, heated steering wheel and the entertainment on (watching youtube or iplayer on the central screen) and 1C outside, mine used about 1% (2 miles range) in 90 mins. That was in Jan 2022, and was the one and only time I have been stuck in completely stationary traffic for any length of time since I have had it.

Given I have a 75kWh usable battery 1% = 750Wh so the power drain averaged at about 500w. From full - thats 6.5 days of stationary use before draining the battery. For reference the peak power in my motors is 300kW. 600 times the power used when stationary.
Does your have an air source heat pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts