EVs and Cardiac Pacemakers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not much has been published on this issue. But from what I have seen there doesn’t seem to be too many contra indicators. Do check with your Cardiologist. Fast chargers may be a problem for some.
Anyone with Atrial Fibrillation issues should check with the medical experts.

This is interesting

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not much has been published on this issue. But from what I have seen there doesn’t seem to be too many contra indicators. Do check with your Cardiologist. Fast chargers may be a problem for some.
Anyone with Atrial Fibrillation issues should check with the medical experts.

This is interesting
Back in 2015, when I was researching my then next car, I found some some suggestions that Jaguar and Range Rovers could give issues with pacemakers - when I tried to check, the pacemaker manufacturer referred me to JLR and JLR referred me to the pacemaker manufacturer - so JLR was off the short list.

As an aside, I was recently recommended for laser eye surgery (YAG Capsulotomy) and my checks with Medtronic, the manufacturer, revealed that my pacemaker/defibrillator would need to be switched off for the procedure and then switched back on afterwards - this was beyond the capability of the NHS-contracted private clinic so the idea was dropped.

My overall concern is that the NHS Cardiologists are already overloaded with work, in part by being diverted for 2 years to Covid wards, and the extra workload of checking compatibility of implanted devices with modern "appliances" will just cause further delays in Cardiac treatment - but there's no alternative!

Reactions: Dustydog

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I suppose with EVs being a high profile product its not surprising that articles like this appear. But in reality anyone with a pacemaker needs to exercise caution generally since we are surrounded with high tech devices which all have various levels of emissions in close proximity to us.

Mobile phones, wifi, induction hobs, microwave ovens, TV's, cordless phones, and various other smart devices.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wonder what pacemakers and MRI scanners or airport security devices are like. There must be recognised standards fir EMC compatibility between devices and surrounding technology, but as things move on I guess loopholes appear in the safeguards.

If modern pacemakers can be turned off by an app I hope it’s more reliable than the Hive app, where I turn heating to Off at night, and next morning it is invariably back on schedule which often costs me up to ten minutes of unwanted heating in the morning. But when it is “properly “ off it doesn’t come back on, Would not want Hive to make pacemaker apps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has already been said, people with pacemakers or defibrillators, do need to wary of products that produce strong Electromagnetic fields or pulses.

Europe (Inc the UK) and North America have some of the most well researched regulations concerning Electromagnetic (EMC) susceptibility. This forces manufacturers to test for both EMC emmisions from their appliances, and if their appliances can withstand certain levels of incident external EMC interferences.

Whilst standards always define just the minimum necessary for compliance, there may be even more stringent requirements for electro medical devices, or other safety critical control systems to prevent malfunction or failures.

Bear in mind the article Dusty highlighted, was from a group who are looking for worst case scenarios.

I'm pretty certain, that if the use of EV's had been linked to persistent problems with pacemakers, it would have emerged quite a lot sooner than it has, especially as Tesla and their supercharger network has been operating for over ten years in America, where there are probably more pacemakers than the rest of the world combined, and a litigation mad mind set.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I understand Airport Security devices do not affect cardiac devices. BUT not all systems world wide are the same. Signs are displayed requesting wearers tell security staff before proceeding through the scanners. As usual best be on the safe side, ask.
My old Mums last pacemaker could be controlled remotely. Never used as hospital preferred to see her.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof said

Bear in mind the article Dusty highlighted, was from a group who are looking for worst case scenarios.

As far as I am aware this was one of the most intensive research exercises looking at results long before EVs were ever discussed on here. I congratulate the authors for their investigative research. Where our health is concerned checking out the Worst Case Scenario must be admired.
I doubt EV Manufacturers gave the subject much thought. Indeed Roger’s post sums it up for JLR.
Fast Chargers are a potential danger area, maybe? The EV itself doesn’t appear to be an issue. But any one with a Pacemaker must check for themselves.
Anyone know what Tesla etc have to say?”

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I understand Airport Security devices do not affect cardiac devices. BUT not all systems world wide are the same. Signs are displayed requesting wearers tell security staff before proceeding through the scanners. As usual best be on the safe side, ask.
My old Mums last pacemaker could be controlled remotely. Never used as hospital preferred to see her.
Airport Security devices MAY affect implanted cardiac devices, that's why the signs are there - they'll use other methods to check those fitted with one.

A lot of the precautions are just that, precautions - I'm advised not to use a mobile phone to my left ear "just in case".

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Airport Security devices MAY affect implanted cardiac devices, that's why the signs are there - they'll use other methods to check those fitted with one.

A lot of the precautions are just that, precautions - I'm advised not to use a mobile phone to my left ear "just in case".
You mention JLR in the context of “ suggestions”. Presumably in 2015 these were not PHEV or EV. I’m interested in where the suggestions came from and what equipment could possibly compromise a pacemaker. The Harman Kardon audio set up perhaps?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof said

As far as I am aware this was one of the most intensive research exercises looking at results long before EVs were ever discussed on here. I congratulate the authors for their investigative research. Where our health is concerned checking out the Worst Case Scenario must be admired.
I doubt EV Manufacturers gave the subject much thought. Indeed Roger’s post sums it up for JLR.
Fast Chargers are a potential danger area, maybe? The EV itself doesn’t appear to be an issue. But any one with a Pacemaker must check for themselves.
Anyone know what Tesla etc have to say?”
I'm sorry Dusty you have misinterpreted my comment. It was a statement fact not intended as a negative.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You mention JLR in the context of “ suggestions”. Presumably in 2015 these were not PHEV or EV. I’m interested in where the suggestions came from and what equipment could possibly compromise a pacemaker. The Harman Kardon audio set up perhaps?
Yes, conventional diesels, not electrified - I did a lot of Google searching while considering the car purchase so it could have been anywhere on the internet - I half-expected JLR to deny the suggestion but they simply referred me to my pacemaker manufacturer and offered no technical information at all.

It did occur to me that all modern cars might be affected but I couldn't find any finger-pointing at other brands, not that that's conclusive.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Of course Petrol cars with spark plugs have created high voltage electromagnetic pulses for years. Anyone that installed an aftermarket radio in a car without a choke on the power line will have experienced the pulse effect 1st hand. The problems are not new, just different. That doesn't mean they should not be worried about, they should - but the risks are everywhere....

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I spent a day at my local hospital three weeks ago getting a new pacemaker fitted. The battery was about to run out on the old one - after 9 years of use. After the technician had been down to carry out adjustments, she asked me if I would care to take home a new piece of equipment. It's one of these: https://www.cardiovascular.abbott/u...hythm-management/merlin-home-transmitter.html
I've set it up on my bedside cabinet and it's connected wirelessly to my cardiology unit 3 to 4 miles away. Presumably, their equipment can record my pacemaker's performance whilst I'm sleeping............................................ If so, they should be getting worried. I'm away in the caravan this week.:astonished:

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I spent a day at my local hospital three weeks ago getting a new pacemaker fitted. The battery was about to run out on the old one - after 9 years of use. After the technician had been down to carry out adjustments, she asked me if I would care to take home a new piece of equipment. It's one of these: https://www.cardiovascular.abbott/u...hythm-management/merlin-home-transmitter.html
I've set it up on my bedside cabinet and it's connected wirelessly to my cardiology unit 3 to 4 miles away. Presumably, their equipment can record my pacemaker's performance whilst I'm sleeping............................................ If so, they should be getting worried. I'm away in the caravan this week.:astonished:
I take my remote monitor with us when we're away in the caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A friend of ours had one fitted by the Bristol cardiac Center and that was probably five years ago. It came about as his original pacemaker started to play up, and a newer design became available. Even in his eighties he was a techno enthusiast in order to keep in regular contact with family in the States. So when offered the new design he jumped at the chance. Two reasons. One he could be monitored even when away from home in hotels or friends, second one and most importantly it reduced the need to go into Bristol, a real pain.

One “ vampire” device not to switch off. 🧛‍♂️

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts