EVs changing the face of caravanning.

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
.....you are not the only one :)

My prediction is that in 2029 you will see the most pronounced change of policy U turn you have ever seen.
Even if policy in U.K. were to change, which I very much doubt, the EU policy would also have to change too as our market is too small to influence such a change. But irrespective most car makers will be fully electric or PHEV by then if not earlier if their announcement are to be believed. So any cars required after such a policy change would have to come from countries that don’t align with UK/EU policy. There will be such countries that have a healthy ICE market beyond 2030 as even Toyota are investing nearly $400 in an ICE engine plant for the USA. But the engine sizes aren’t likely to align with European needs.

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I don't know where you are finding your 35 k 4x 4 Hoomer; it wouldn't be a 4x4 but a truck perhaps. WE love ours but it's not as comfy as a car. Assuming you're buying new at these prices a Golf can be that price! As for becoming mainstream, they already are; I work on a toll bridge and EVs are very, very , very regular!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Motorhomes if small enough do have the advantage of being able to recharge at car sized points so are probably more feasible than caravans for electric power at the moment. Not sure what the range is though which is still important.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
127 worst to 180 miles best range for the Nissan van. Base van is 23k plus vat! PRobably on a par with a car towing the caravan but easier to charge but not much space!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just looking at the website for a local multi franchise car dealership in Chippenham its amazing how many pre owned cars for sale are full BEV, PHEV, SC or MHEV. They range from eye wateringly expensive (Tesla/Jag) to more “affordable” models. The top end BEV and PHEV have appeared over the last month. It seems as if this company are setting out their stall to capture some of the interest in the used electric market. Plus I sense the market must have peaked and may be slowing as there are reductions across the board.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Just looking at the website for a local multi franchise car dealership in Chippenham its amazing how many pre owned cars for sale are full BEV, PHEV, SC or MHEV. They range from eye wateringly expensive (Tesla/Jag) to more “affordable” models. The top end BEV and PHEV have appeared over the last month. It seems as if this company are setting out their stall to capture some of the interest in the used electric market. Plus I sense the market must have peaked and may be slowing as there are reductions across the board.
I am not sure about peaked if its the same site, they have a Volvo V60 D5 (163hp) PHEV at 18,500 down from 21K. Thats a lower power, lower spec, higher mileage version of mine which is 6 months older. 18 months ago, mine was worth about 15K. I suspect its now about 22K. Anyone want to buy a black Volvo V60 D6 PHEV with towbar?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are waiting for the Toyota Cross hybrid to appear on the UK market as very good reports on it from connections in South Africa who have bought this car. Sadly the factory in South Africa had to close due to severe flood damage so now huge delays in production. See here where factory is under water. BTW it never used to floods in that area even during cyclones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure about peaked if its the same site, they have a Volvo V60 D5 (163hp) PHEV at 18,500 down from 21K. Thats a lower power, lower spec, higher mileage version of mine which is 6 months older. 18 months ago, mine was worth about 15K. I suspect its now about 22K. Anyone want to buy a black Volvo V60 D6 PHEV with towbar?
You are comparing two different cars re respective prices. I was only looking at their advertised prices and the downward change I walk by the Kia branch and MRG branch two or three times a week and so just look at the labelled price of the specific cars

Reactions: Tobes
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The whole premise of this video is to suggest that moving to an EV is not going to change the fate of the world. OK that is quite true, but what this video also seeks to suggest is that the entire focus of the world is on cars - - Ive news for the car guys, that's a very inaccurate view of what happening everywhere.

Cars are just one aspect of the political attempts to reduce CO2 and other emissions, but they are far from the only one.

The video pumps out the same incomplete stories and comparisons we have so often seen suggesting that EV's pollute more, not only from their production, but also how the electricity they is generated, but they never do the same level of comparison with ICE vehicles which over their entire life must include the fuel they burn. What about the pollution caused and energy used by exploring and extracting and refining fossil fuels?

They fail to mention the fact that even if the electricity is generated by fossil fuels using it in an EV is still significantly more efficient than burning it in an ICE car, plus the fact that power generation produces smaller quantities of other polluting gasses.

The argument that just becasue what one person or even country can do to reduce the global problem is so small therefore we shouldn't bother to do anything is so antisocial. Every revolution has to start somewhere.

EV's are part of a solution they are not the complete answer.

Of course everyone is allowed their opinion, but if they wish to try and persuade others they should at least seek to support that opinion with verifiable evidence, rather than biased unsubstantiated non facts.

Reactions: Tobes

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I watched most of the video and the main inference that I drew from it was that the presenter, who admitted to being a 'petrol head', was trying to prick the oft seen sanctimonious bubble that comes across in the government's current zero carbon policies.
The video didn't make unfair comparisons between issues surrounding EVs and ICEs, it merely pointed out that EVs aren't as pollution free as some people are led to believe.
The video didn't claim that ICEs are less polluting than EVs.
Which statistics do you consider to be 'biased unsubstantiated non facts' Prof?
Are they any more inaccurate or biased than some of the scare stories peddled by those with financial interests in the global warming agenda?
For people who'se lifestyle would make EV ownership advantageous to them, good, go and buy one and leave the rest of us in peace.
The constant drum banging by some of the green zealots only leads to idiots glueing themselves to fuel tankers, blocking roads to prevent the rest of us from going about our lawful business and deflating the tyres of vehicles that they decide should be disabled because of their warped thinking.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My frustration with the video is the implication that switching from an ICE to an EV is pointless because it’s impact is so small. That just one more ICE car may be a bit dirtier, or produce a bit more CO2, but it doesn’t matter because everything else is so much worse.

And yes, it’s true, just switching one ICE for EV won’t save the planet. But just smoking one cigarette probably wont give you cancer. Just eating one donut wont make you fat.
But a life of bad diet will give you heart disease, and a life of smoking will give you cancer. The human race needs to change. We have to stop using fossil fuels. Sure in a manner that is absorbable by all and economical viable for all.

EVs won’t save the planet, but ICE are helping to kill it.

Reactions: JezzerB

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The video didn't imply that buying an EV is pointless, in fact it was pointed out that one of the major polluting nations, China, is also one of the leaders in green technology and he stated that people who want an EV should buy one if it would make economic sense for them personally.
The video debunks some of the mythology that is built up around EV ownership by pointing out that EVs are unlikely to be as eco friendly as we're led to believe.
Some of these facts may be unpalatable, such as the use of fossil fuels to power EVs in most countries, and the lack of alternative greener methods of electricity generation to meet the demand if everyone bought an EV.
It's true that a lifetime of bad diet could make a person fat, and smoking will probably lead to severe health problems, but if a person chooses to dine on doughnuts or smoke cigarettes that's their choice, just as the purchase of an EV in the belief that the purchaser occupies some kind of mythical moral high ground is another choice.
Most of us who use this forum are touring caravan owners or users, and up to now our towing vehicle of choice is usually a diesel engined vehicle which we pay for and more often than not pay higher ved to use.
ICE vehicles create emissions that EVs don't, but the majority of EVs are unsuitable for our use and the emissions created by ICE towing vehicles are offset by the frugal use of natural resources when we holiday in a touring caravan instead of travelling on holiday using jet aircraft or cruise lines.
The constant finger wagging lectures and immediate suppression of other views about what we must do to prevent world catastrophe are wearing a bit thin for me.
When holiday travel using jet aircraft is banned I'll think about donning sackcloth and ashes as I go everywhere using a bicycle with a tent strapped to my back like I did when I was a kid, but until then I'll excercise my freedom of choice to tow and to use a touring caravan of my choice towed by a car of my choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree the video was debunking some of the wild perceptions about EV's, and to that extent it was correct, but it did so in a way that said that EV are not as good as has been claimed (and that depends on who has been making the claims), But it left the clear impression the presenter was was implying that ICE vehicles may be better than EV's in the pollution stakes. A suggestion very far from the truth.

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree the video was debunking some of the wild perceptions about EV's, and to that extent it was correct, but it did so in a way that said that EV are not as good as has been claimed (and that depends on who has been making the claims), But it left the clear impression the presenter was was implying that ICE vehicles may be better than EV's in the pollution stakes. A suggestion very far from the truth.
That's not a conclusion that I came to after watching the footage Prof.
Did you miss the part where the presenter stated that if only EV's were used in cities that pollution from emissions would be significantly reduced?
As far as I'm concerned, some claims made by global warming zealots and EV cheerleaders are not anymore accurate than claims made by those who fundamentally disagree that man made global warming can be reduced by imposing financial penalties on those least able to afford to pay.
We all have our own opinions, many of us try to play our part without swallowing the global warming agenda hook line and sinker.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I do hope your not implying that I have swallowed the hook, line and sinker. As you well know I do not take a position without having reviewed what information I can find.
Why would you imagine that I was implying anything about you Prof, my comment referred to me and the fact that opinions on issues surrounding climate change or global warming can vary.

Reactions: Challenger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts