Excesive site charges.

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me who would like to use the caravan more often but am prevented from doing so with the charges that site are asking.

I would have liked to have gone to the Wirral Country Park; but they were asking 25 Squids for the first night, then you have an extra charge for daring to have an awning, a while ago I was looking at a Cheshire site they were charging 3 squids for day visitors each, how long are people going to be fleeced before boycotting these sites.

Andrew.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've always avoided sites that charge more than their facilities are worth but that worth does vary according to family circumstances.

From a business model point of view - if a site is full in peak season it could increase revenue by increasing prices!

Site pricing is controlled by supply and demand, not fairness.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Andrew,

I am assuming that the Wirral Country Park site was the Caravan Club site. If so the information you received is incorrect. Caravan club sites do not charge for awnings.

We only use Caravan Cub sites and very occasionaly Camping and C.C.sites. At peak times prices do seem to be increasing. Isuppose they will say it is to cover the cost of new sites.

We received both the Council Tax bill and the Water rates bill for next year on the same day last week. Both gone up much higher than the so called rate of inflation!!

Hamer

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Under UK parks & touring theres a thread, Sherwood Forest Park, which typifies what Andrew is talking about.

Scenically it has everything, peace, trees, river, ponds, long walks, wildlife. They charge the earth for it and it's always fairly well booked being open all the year round. It's let down by one thing, the facilities, they are crap. Probably the worse I've seen on any site especially the disposal points for toilet and grey water. People still come in their droves though so why should they bother spending money on upgrading. They certainly haven't been upgraded since the site opened in the early 70s and it shows. Only when people stay away will anything be done but I can't somehow see that happening at this site.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with what you say about Sherwood Forest LB. A couple of years ago we met Lol and his wife there for a long weekend and we were blessed with glorious weather. The site wasn't too busy at all. However, when some members met up last year, we popped over (I think it was a Bank Holiday) the site was packed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say some of the tent pitches were dangerously close to the roads running through the site (due to over-crowding). How anyone didn't get hit by a vehicle, I'll never know.

We vote with our feet now. I was most unimpressed with the ladies facilities.

Another bad site is the one at Holme Pierrepont, quite a bit of space on the grass but no specifically marked out pitches. Now if you want to see substandard showers and toilets, go visit them. I walk the dogs past there quite a bit and they always seem to have a few vans on there.

Lisa

G

this is the price for Wirral county park C C for 1 person C C Members

Saver season Adult

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Although not a CC site, we were well and truly tucked up, 7 days at a site near Ullswater, arrived on the Saturday, departed Thursday, the invoice read as:

5 nights service pitch, 2 dogs x 5 nights, awning x 5 nights, 2 adults x 5 nights =

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Caravan sites are not obliged to offer low prices any more than any other business. If people are daft enough to pay them then they continue to charge them.

Bit of a silly thread really.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't get hung up on individual charges - consider only the total charge for your particular group.

I have no problem using sites that charge large amounts for dogs, children, extra cars etc - because I don't have them.

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Ref excessive site charges, yes,yes and yes I agree. We were looking for a site for two nights on the way to the ferry in Portsmouth. Sandy Balls Site near Salisbury quoted me

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote Roger L "I have no problem using sites that charge large amounts for dogs, children, extra cars etc - because I don't have them".

That goes for many people even those that it affects. The only one that affects me is dogs but it's no skin off my nose, I simply don't use them so no problem.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
But what does Sandy Balls offer?

I seem to remember that it offers a little more than a CC site and not for to much extra money. If you don't need what Sandy Ball offers in the way of Spa, Bistro and Entertainment you book elsewhere and don't moan.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
But what does Sandy Balls offer?

I seem to remember that it offers a little more than a CC site and not for to much extra money. If you don't need what Sandy Ball offers in the way of Spa, Bistro and Entertainment you book elsewhere and don't moan.
In fairness to Carole, if you read her post again, that is exactly what she did, went elsewhere :O)

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Should I curtsie?

LordB. "don't moan" was a general comment, surely there are enough guides books and internet guides to show what a site is offering before you part with your cash.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ahhhh I see Sadie :O)

Surely that can't be the same Sadie posting under Chit Chat-POLL - what's the cheapest and most expensive?

I wouldn't think so because that Sadie is moaning about the price of a site compare to places like TravelLodges.

If it is the same Sadie just sell the caravan and use TravelLodges, no need to moan ;O)

Hehheh!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Someone, earlier, mentioned Camping Cheques to avoid paying excessive site fees - and I'd like to recommend them, too. For a very reasonable

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lord B you seemed to have missed the point. Be you in a hotel or on a campsite you are paying for a place to stay for the night.

We've no desire to holiday in a concrete jungle alongside a busy highway, industrial area or rail track.

There is though some difference between a field with service road and utility supply and that of the latest new Travelofge near us. Weeks were spent demolishing a former garage and cleaning up the site before months of building.

One would assume that business rates in a city are more than those for the average camp site, the outlay and running costs are surely far higher than for a camp site.

I was just trying to hilight how some camp sites seem close in costs to hotel group pricing!

Do they work out pricing or just pluck a figure from the air and assume that caravanners jus are foolish emough to just pay up and not make comparisons.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Lord B you seemed to have missed the point. Be you in a hotel or on a campsite you are paying for a place to stay for the night.

We've no desire to holiday in a concrete jungle alongside a busy highway, industrial area or rail track.

There is though some difference between a field with service road and utility supply and that of the latest new Travelofge near us. Weeks were spent demolishing a former garage and cleaning up the site before months of building.

One would assume that business rates in a city are more than those for the average camp site, the outlay and running costs are surely far higher than for a camp site.

I was just trying to hilight how some camp sites seem close in costs to hotel group pricing!

Do they work out pricing or just pluck a figure from the air and assume that caravanners jus are foolish emough to just pay up and not make comparisons.
we use the campsites all year round and will not pay more than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts