Exterior satellite point for tv

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Had our 2015 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz for 2 weeks now.
Went to West Bay,Dorset for 5 nights and over the moon with the caravan.
Were off to a site in 3 weeks time that has a tv connection point on the pitch for better reception.
I have an exterior sat.point,and was wondering if I use an adaptor which I could use to run my co-axial cable from it to tv connection point on site.
Would it be as simple as this or do I have to change things around on the amplifier box?
I dont really want to run a cable through the window.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You don't need to concern the amplifier. You just need two converters for 'F' to coax. Run the site cable to the satellite connector on the van and plug the TV into the satellite connector inside the van.

The signal supplied should not need the amplifier. In fact using the amp may even make things worse as it may interfere with whatever kit the site use to get the signal to you.

See these.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Erm, almost. Bailey provide an external connection point for a TV in the awning. Ergo said external socket is an outlet and will be connected to an aerial amp output (been there, done that, etc etc) The OP needs to disconnect the cable marked external (or whatever) from the amp and use a back-to-back connector to connect it to the cable marked TV. Most connectors these days are F-type which came into the TV industry for satellite but they are also perfectly suited to use on terrestrial TV as well. There's plenty of help on line on how to fit them to the cable.
Also, don't buy the connectors etc from a dealer or DIY shed, get a pack of 10 from Screwfix or Toolstation for less than the price of two in a DIY shed! I would advise a bag of plugs, a bag of back-to-back adapters, and at least two (preferably four in case you loose some) F-type socket to Belling-Lee plug adapters (i.e. TV plug) as well. You can never have enough connectors for your TV in a caravan!

But having said all that, do a bit of homework first and see if you will actually need to use the cable system. Go to www.wolfbane.com and select the predictor line (with the red text alongside it.) Enter the postcode or map ref of where you are going, set the aerial height as 3m, select distant and press go. It will show you the TV transmitters available in signal strength order. For a 'normal' Vision/Status directional aerial, any signal strength of 45 or higher will give you a solid signal, even above 40 in most cases with careful aerial alignment will work. Ignore the last column, it is hopelessly pessimistic!

If you have an Android smartphone (i.e. NOT an Apple) download a free app called Freepoint UK which will give considerable help on site to get set up correctly and quickly.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Erm, almost. Bailey provide an external connection point for a TV in the awning. Ergo said external socket is an outlet and will be connected to an aerial amp output (been there, done that, etc etc) The OP needs to disconnect the cable marked external (or whatever) from the amp and use a back-to-back connector to connect it to the cable marked TV. Most connectors these days are F-type which came into the TV industry for satellite but they are also perfectly suited to use on terrestrial TV as well. There's plenty of help on line on how to fit them to the cable.
Also, don't buy the connectors etc from a dealer or DIY shed, get a pack of 10 from Screwfix or Toolstation for less than the price of two in a DIY shed! I would advise a bag of plugs, a bag of back-to-back adapters, and at least two (preferably four in case you loose some) F-type socket to Belling-Lee plug adapters (i.e. TV plug) as well. You can never have enough connectors for your TV in a caravan!

But having said all that, do a bit of homework first and see if you will actually need to use the cable system. Go to www.wolfbane.com and select the predictor line (with the red text alongside it.) Enter the postcode or map ref of where you are going, set the aerial height as 3m, select distant and press go. It will show you the TV transmitters available in signal strength order. For a 'normal' Vision/Status directional aerial, any signal strength of 45 or higher will give you a solid signal, even above 40 in most cases with careful aerial alignment will work. Ignore the last column, it is hopelessly pessimistic!

If you have an Android smartphone (i.e. NOT an Apple) download a free app called Freepoint UK which will give considerable help on site to get set up correctly and quickly.

Bailey may well have a TV outlet in the awning, I don’t know, but the OP specifically mentioned the satellite INPUT. so I stand by what I said. As further support see this. Also, he wants to use the site connection, so no need for apps.

It is what I do with my Lunar, Lunar even supplied the conversion fittings. The ‘F‘ external input connector (In my case in the battery box), simply goes to the internal ‘F’ connector in order to feed a set top box. Or to feed the DTV signal from the site connection.

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
To be honest,im not sure if the satellite socket in the awning is output or input.(sorry if I mislead anyone)
Never had an outside point before.
I have 2 internal coaxal points at the front of van and 1 in the middle of the van where the folding/extending tv bracket is.
On the amp.,I have tv1...tv2....tv3...radio.....ant.in

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
To be honest,im not sure if the satellite socket in the awning is output or input.(sorry if I mislead anyone)
Never had an outside point before.
I have 2 internal coaxal points at the front of van and 1 in the middle of the van where the folding/extending tv bracket is.
On the amp.,I have tv1...tv2....tv3...radio.....ant.in

If it’s an ‘F’ type then its a satellite input. If Bailey don’t supply one, which is short sighted. One can be added. Otherwise the TV input from the site post may need to be routed through a window or cupboard. Not ideal.

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats what I thought John.
Not ideal,but it will do the trick.
The site we are going to is Hillhead at Brixham.
Stayed there a few times and have never been able to get a suitable picture from the caravan ariel.
Having said that,this is a much newer van so may not be too bad.
The outside tv point has in the past been excellent though,so it maybe a "window jobby"🤣

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
These were already put in by the previous owner our two sockets are in the battery box one for a satellite dish and the other for tv cable connection on pitch just attached the cable and it up and running hope you have a nice break .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I'm sorry but there is a significant misunderstanding here.
Many people have come to assume an F-type connector is for satellite only: it is not. F-type can also be used for normal TV feed - indeed many modern TV aerials themselves are terminated in F-type.
Some caravans may have two adjacent outlets, one for TV using a Belling-Lee TV plug and one F-type (notionally) for satellite, undisputed. However that is not how Bailey do it. They provide an external connector which is F-type (as it is more stable and gives a better connection) but present it to an amp port, ergo the external connector is intended primarily as an output. The amps these days also have F-type connectors. If there two TV outlets in the caravan then they should be individually be routed back to the amp as well. If there is need to use both internal outlets then the cable from the external socket should be connected to the input of the amp in place of the caravan aerial but likely the amp gain will need to be turned right down to prevent signal overload.
If satellite is to be used then the external connector cable should be disconnected from the amp output and connected by a back-to-back adapter to the cable going to the internal outlet where the satellite receiver will be situated. However, technically, a Belling-Lee TV socket is unsuitable for satellite use so would need to be changed for an F-type which can also be used for 'normal' TV at other times.
Finally, of interest, the radio output on the aerial amp carries the same signals as the TV outputs except that it is not amplified.

If anyone wants a clearer explanation with diagrams please PM me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ade,
According to Bailey’s own spec your Cadiz comes with an
  • External satellite connection point.
    It should be compatible with F connectors. Inside the van will be the connection to link to your sky box or whatever sat box you use.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However the F connector for the satellite feed does not go through an amplifier therefore if you have a weak TV not sat signal by the time it gets to the F connector outlet in the caravan it will probably be none existent. Generally as per all the caravans we have had with the F connector it goes into a splitter which then feeds the signal to the outlets in the caravan.
We used to have a sat dish cable into F connector in battery box and then direct to Sky+HD box which has a RF output. Normal coaxial lead from there to the nearest TV point and the signal then went to the other outlets in the caravan, but you need to switch off the aerial amplifier to prevent cross modulation. Sometimes you may need to remove the cabling from the amp and use a back to back to connect to feed analogue signal to other TV outlets.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mine is different Buckman. The external socket uses F connectors, two as it’s Sky +, The cable then runs direct to a socket inside which gets connected direct to the Sky + box. It is a system independent and unconnected to the aerial TV side of things.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine is different Buckman. The external socket uses F connectors, two as it’s Sky +, The cable then runs direct to a socket inside which gets connected direct to the Sky + box. It is a system independent and unconnected to the aerial TV side of things.
When we had a stand alone satellite dish on a previous caravan we changed the analogue and f connector for a twin F connector and then ran the shotgun cable direct to the Sky+HD box. HDMI to TV and RF analogue to nearest TV outlet so OH could lie in bed and watch TV.
In our current caravan with sat dish on roof signal into Sky box under nearside bunk and then into a combiner as we also have a Firestick. Then into a splitter for TV in front and HDMI to TV in rear of caravan. Can now watch Sky or Netflix on both TVs. Never used aerial system in caravan so do not even know if it works. LOL!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
However the F connector for the satellite feed does not go through an amplifier therefore if you have a weak TV not sat signal by the time it gets to the F connector outlet in the caravan it will probably be none existent. Generally as per all the caravans we have had with the F connector it goes into a splitter which then feeds the signal to the outlets in the caravan.

Not in my experience.

1. I have used the external input (nominally call satellite point). To route the TV signal from the post to the sat outlet at the TV. It has always produced an excellent signal. Only disadvantage, for some people but not us, it only feeds the main location in the van.

2. Can’t speak for all vans, But the supplied ‘satellite‘ connection in my Lunar only feeds the 1 output. That makes sense as it it primerally there to feed a satellite set top box. And not many would have more than 1 of these. I do know of 1 person who then wired his van up to distribute the signal from there around the van.

Personally I went through the satellite phase years ago. I don’t want that faff ever again. Modern vans now combine with a very much improved DTV signals and we get great results most of the time. When we can’t use our own aerial we use the site connection and failing that I have 600GB of recorded programmes on a tine hard drive. But let’s hope it doesn’t rain. 😁

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not in my experience.

1. I have used the external input (nominally call satellite point). To route the TV signal from the post to the sat outlet at the TV. It has always produced an excellent signal. Only disadvantage, for some people but not us, it only feeds the main location in the van.

2. Can’t speak for all vans, But the supplied ‘satellite‘ connection in my Lunar only feeds the 1 output. That makes sense as it it primerally there to feed a satellite set top box. And not many would have more than 1 of these. I do know of 1 person who then wired his van up to distribute the signal from there around the van.

Personally I went through the satellite phase years ago. I don’t want that faff ever again. Modern vans now combine with a very much improved DTV signals and we get great results most of the time. When we can’t use our own aerial we use the site connection and failing that I have 600GB of recorded programmes on a tine hard drive. But let’s hope it doesn’t rain. 😁

John
Strangely it was our Lunar Lexon and Delta caravans that gave us a lot of grief with the terrestirial and sat signal which is why we bypassed the F connector splitter to go direct to Sky box. Also the signal from the status aerial was diabolical at the best of times and we have a signal locator device so always locked onto the correct signal. Dealer obviously did not have a clue. Main reason why we started using a sat dish. Obviously we no longer have that sort of issue.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Strangely it was our Lunar Lexon and Delta caravans that gave us a lot of grief with the terrestirial and sat signal which is why we bypassed the F connector splitter to go direct to Sky box. Also the signal from the status aerial was diabolical at the best of times and we have a signal locator device so always locked onto the correct signal. Dealer obviously did not have a clue. Main reason why we started using a sat dish. Obviously we no longer have that sort of issue.

I find it strange that they put a splitter from the external input. Mine does not have one. I have the Clubman 2015 with the directional aerial and the amp with built in finder. It has been excellent when compared to older vans but I think a lot of this has to do with the broadcast signals moving from analogue to digital.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find it strange that they put a splitter from the external input. Mine does not have one. I have the Clubman 2015 with the directional aerial and the amp with built in finder. It has been excellent when compared to older vans but I think a lot of this has to do with the broadcast signals moving from analogue to digital.

John
Under the offside bunk was a splitter for the satellite signal. The other splitter was part of the amplifier. Was a 2011 Delta.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Under the offside bunk was a splitter for the satellite signal. The other splitter was part of the amplifier. Was a 2011 Delta.

As said no splitter on the 'satellite' input as just the one output on my Lunar.

But the TV feed in my previous Bailey Unicorn had one of these cheap things, I can’t think why it needed it now.

split 1.jpg

I changed this for one of these.

slit 2.jpg

Big difference and well worth the extra 50p.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just done a bit of homework with Wolfbane. It indicates that a very strong signal should be available from Beacon Hill transmitter 6 miles away 332 degrees horizontally polarised. The site suggests that Brixham (2 miles, 33 deg vertical) and Dartmouth (2miles, 231deg, vertical) will also deliver usable signals.

I would suggest you can forget about a pillar-provided signal, you shouldn't need it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just done a bit of homework with Wolfbane. It indicates that a very strong signal should be available from Beacon Hill transmitter 6 miles away 332 degrees horizontally polarised. The site suggests that Brixham (2 miles, 33 deg vertical) and Dartmouth (2miles, 231deg, vertical) will also deliver usable signals.

I would suggest you can forget about a pillar-provided signal, you shouldn't need it.
Did you adjust the default aerial height down to 3m? It can make a significant difference in hilly terrain like Devon.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you.
Having been to this site on 2 previous occasions,(once with friends in a motorhome who had the same reception problems),we tried every position with our ariels but still couldnt achieve a decent reception.
I suppose it may depend on where you are pitched within the site.
As soon as we used the site bollards.....perfect picture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts