Extra car suspension

May 31, 2005
Visit site
We are due to take our caravan across to The Isle of White using a Galaxy 1.9tdi to tow it. It has been suggested by a car mechanic that we have extra suspension/springs fitted at the rear so that when boarding the ferry we don't scrape the bottom of car or caravan. Any thoughts on this? It will cost about £100 ish. Good idea or waste of money? This is our first season in a tourer & only our 4th trip out!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anita, I've never had any problems on the Wight link Lymington to Yarmouth service. They have floating ramps which are adjusted for the state of the tide. Unless you have a sprecific problem with your combination that uprated suspension would cure then I think it is a waste of money purchasing it for this reason.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
check your nose wieghts. If your car is down at the rear you may well have too much nose wieght on your van, you may be exceeding the cars max towball wieght, check the cars handbook

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anita, I live on the Island, and al I can say is your mechanic is having a laugh, and at your expense, if you go for his "recommendation". Its absolute rubbish.

The ferries have adjustable docking platforms which are adjusted to take account of tidal height changes, providing you with an almost level load and unload platform.

Save that

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ive been to the isle of wight too and certainly did not encounter any problem with the ferry embarking or disembarking,ithink your mechanic is barking mad????

ps if you do decide to upgrade the suspension,if your car is still under warranty it could be void if fitted with any suspension uprating???

May 31, 2005
Visit site
Last year we took a trailer tent to Jersey with the same galaxy & we did scrape the bottom of the car at the back.But also had the same experience in previous years when driving a Peugeot 405.Outfit seems well level so will take suggestions on board Thanks for the views.Anita

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts