FAO Lisa

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

hope all went well with Diesel today - I've been thinking about you both! I'm sure everyone will be keen to hear how you got on. Take Care, Mark (",)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark and Plotter

Thank you ever so much for your kind words, that's really lovely for you to be thinking about us.

Well, just got back from Derbyshire with Diesel. The upshot is, he doesn't have a tumour or anything like that. The scan showed no signs of anything nasty. Which is good in one way, well, it's really really good when I think about it. However, there is something clearly wrong with him so they have advised me to monitor things. Eventually, they will probably put him on medication for epilepsy as both vets are of the opinion that that's what it might be. Little Diesel has comendered the big settee and is currently still snoring away (after having bumped his way round the house due to the after affects of the anaesthetic and sedative).

Now, I promise I won't be the bearer of bad news anymore after this but on the way back from the canine hospital, I had to drop my husband off at the one of the hospitals in Nottingham as his mother was rushed there today. Not clear what is wrong with her at this stage.

Sorry to be depressing with my posts again, but god as you get older I guess it's inevitable for these things to crop up all the time.

I did have my faith in human nature restored today, I had two really satisfied customers. All I did was give them some advice on home safety and a couple of free smoke alarms and you would have thought I'd just handed them the crown jewels. Nice to receive a genuine thank you every now and again.

Thanks again chaps.

Lisa xxxx

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Great to hear that Diesel is better than originally thought,still worrying times though but all being well things will sort themselves out.MIL (Mom in law) sorry to hear a problem but yes its a feature of getting older I should know as now I am 24! I understand these things!

Its not easy but what can I say but as always keep positive.

Sorry to get onto work issues you talk about alarms etc,we have a number of smoke alarms but my daughter as you may have seen from previous posts is profoundly deaf,what is available to aid in this area.

I am not sure I want to ask this question but how is your cousin?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa you have cleared one hurdle so keep your chin up and think positive. You seem to be having a run of bad luck between the family and the pet but there will be a silver lining waiting for you I am sure.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Plotter

Thanks for your kind words. Well my cousin is still with us so hopefully I will be seeing him again on Sunday.

My Fire Service, provides vibrating smoke alarms for people with hearing impairments.

Basically, it is a vibrating pad which is placed under the matress. We then fit a smoke alarm in the most appropriate position in the property. If the smoke alarm actuates, the pad under the matress will vibrate (its very strong and will wake a sleeping person up, no question). Also, there is a blue strobe light which actuates so that would be visual for a person with a profound hearing impairment. Although the person has a hearing impairment, the smoke alarm will beep as normal.

I think the smoke alarm and vibrating pad work through a radio transmitter, although I am not 100% certain on that but I could ask my colleague tomorrow if he is in as he fits them but is based elsewhere. I have been present on several occasions when these have been installed in domestic premises and I can guarantee they are brilliant. We supply them free of charge, regardless of income, status etc.

If you ring your local Fire Service and ask if they do free home safety checks - which consists of two firefighters entering the premises with a multi page checklist. They inspect every room in the house and garage. They will also look at water features and sheds. They will offer advice if needed, on home safety, such as overloading electrical sockets, running power cables under carpets, use of a chip pan, inappropriate use of smoking materials, storage of chemicals, trip hazards, doors closing fully into the door frame etc.

I think most brigades across the country now do them. If your daughter lives with you, you could raise this with the firefighters when they come out. If she doesn't live with you, you could arrange to meet the firefighters at the premises and discuss then.

If you like, email me the town in which you live and I will ring your local Fire Service for you and say I am calling from **** Fire Service and I am enquiring about vibrating smoke alarms for hearing impaired people within their area. (Not saying that will sway anything but you never know).

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa you have cleared one hurdle so keep your chin up and think positive. You seem to be having a run of bad luck between the family and the pet but there will be a silver lining waiting for you I am sure.
Thanks Colin, I appreciate that.

Lisa xx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa great to hear about Diesel. Hope every thing sorts itself on all the other fronts. Only one complaint though you aint got old yet girl :0)

Marc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plotter, The RNID (Royal national institute for the deaf) have several devices for sale. My hearing loss is only about 40% but have found this organisaton to be more than helpful over the years. The local NHS should be able to tell you where your nearist branch is. Hope this helps.

Marc

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cheeky! I'll set the dogs on you.

Out of interest, does the RNID do vibrating smoke alarms? We have links into Social Services who sometimes provide funds. We have found the RNID to be less forthcoming with funding than Social Services. Probably to do with RNID being a charity.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa and plotter I have just had a quick look on the RNID web site and thefirst alarm I looked at had both a vibrating plate for night time and strobe light which would be a daytime alert.

Marc

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Marc

Our alarms can be inter-linked with other alarms in the premises if needed. The strobe lighting is useful for when a hearing impaired person is not actually in bed but elsewhere in the property. The strobe lighting is useful for daytime and night time actuation.

I know I'm a lazy sod, but what sort of price are they asking, would you mind having a look please?

Sorry to be a pest.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There appears to be sinsiter sideline to this topic - it went from botex to vibrators. What is happening to society trying to introduce a different topic by a backdoor method.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa, good to hear that things are a bit brighter with Diesel, (he needs totally spoiled now!) sorry to hear about your mum-in-law - we seem to have gone through the same kind of things, my mum died in January, my sister in law's father is in hospital with mrsa, my uncle is ill, it seems never ending.

keep smiling and like I said before, take each day as it comes. I'm sure there must be some meaning to it all but I fail to see it sometimes...

take care, Mark (",)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

Sorry to hear of your situation too. I lost my dad in 1992 aged 62 and I know exactly how you must be feeling.

I do take each day as it comes and am a tough cookie but you know how it is.

Thanks for your well wishes, it really means a lot, particularly as you aren't having the best of times with your relatives.

Take care Mark.

Lisa xx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa seems to me that in this day and age that the people who deserve a hand are nearly always the least likely to be the ones who receive it. If fitting these alarms save only one life then this would justify their cost.

Guess I aught to go and take a happy pill or something as I seem to be going on a rant tonight.:0)

Marc

TRENDING THREADS