FAO LORD B. ( again)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good afternnon to you sir. I am in the process of reading a very interesting book which I think could also be of interest to you. The book is called "Small Coal and Smoke Rings" by Derek Brock. It is an autobiography of an engine fireman based at Barry sheds. So far it is mainly based around the south east Wales area (I am on Cahpter 9). However there is mention of him working out of Canton, Westbury and once from Hereford. It is initially before your time as he starts off with the medical at Swindon and then beiing appointed as a cleaner in the sheds in the early 1940s. However the book continues right up to the late 1960s when diesel was introduced to Barry. He recalls the 27s, 28s, 56s and 72s as all working freight engines on various duties, mainly coal from the valleys and sometimes iron ore from Port Talbot. There is also the occassional passenger duty either from Barry to Cardiff or Bridgend to Cardiff via Barry. I am thoroughly enjoying the yarns and deeds carried out at the sheds and I sure it would bring a smile to your face.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've read that book Colin some time ago, infact I still have it. I remember going to Swindon for my medical as if it was yesterday - sigh - unfortunately it isn't :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord Brakewynde,I must apologise grovellingly! just before you went on your state visit to Cornwall,you asked if Bishop's Meadow had web site.I failed to reply,but please don't put me in the Tower,cos I,m going on hols on Monday! Just tap in Bishop's meadow Caravan park. It's well woth a visit, but go when it's quiet! The view from the tourer field is to die for! Tell Howerd and Zoe I said hello!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
North Dykes,nr Penrith until Friday am, then to family reunion nr Biggar in Lanarkshire until Wednesday,then back to a Royale rally in Far Forest,nr Bewdley for five days.We may then creep over to The Leen for a couple of days.... Herself is awaiting a call to have an operation on her foot. What's the bet she'll be called when we're in Scotland?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We are going to The Leen on 28 April, I'm looking forward to it although its only 30 minutes away. Have a nice time when your away emmerson, which I'm sure you will, and I hope the weather is kind for you. It's sod's law that your wife will be called while you are away.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Probably see you then emmerson, I do try to get to sites at midday if possible. I might ring them and ask what time its ok to get there. If you have a pitch next to the River Arrow save it for me heheheh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts