Faulty Caravan Tyres only 4 years old.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
I always inflate my tyres to 65 psi for outside winter storage on a hard standing.The times shes been stored on grass ive reversed the tyres on to boards.Ive not had any problems with cracking.These are 8ply tyres,i think low pressures in winter storage can cause cracking.This is just my findings.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s unlikely that your tyres are actually 8 ply as that construction tended to disappear when radials superseded cross ply. Some are still marked 8 ply to satisfy the US market but if you read the sidewall it gives the actual ply details.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s unlikely that your tyres are actually 8 ply as that construction tended to disappear when radials superseded cross ply. Some are still marked 8 ply to satisfy the US market but if you read the sidewall it gives the actual ply details.
There's still reasonable choice of 8-ply tyres in caravan sizes - I have Nexen Rodian CT8 (185/80R14 102/100T) on my 1500 kg single axle caravan. - as recommended by Lunar, they're inflated to 65 psi in use and in storage.

That said, I ignore the ply rating as well as "C" and "XL" and only use the Load Index, 102 in my case.

Reactions: PIERRE C.
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's still reasonable choice of 8-ply tyres in caravan sizes - I have Nexen Rodian CT8 (185/80R14 102/100T) on my 1500 kg single axle caravan. - as recommended by Lunar, they're inflated to 65 psi in use and in storage.

That said, I ignore the ply rating as well as "C" and "XL" and only use the Load Index, 102 in my case.
Are they actually 8 ply. As I’ve had tyres with 8 ply on the side wall but also on the sidewall is tread plies and material and sidewall plies and material and the two did not add up to 8.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All the ply ratings listed below are still freely available, and marked with the ply rating.
Load IndexPR PlyMax Pressure
LRB435psi
LRC650psi
LRD865psi
LRE1080psi
LRF1295psi

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst the alphabetic load Index is still in use it does not meant that The PR Ply actually contains for example 8 ply for a LRD tyre. For tyres sold in UK and EU the number of plies and material (IE steel or polyester) is detailed on the sidewall for tread and sidewalls . But you could also see the sidewall embossed "8ply". There are still vehicle that genuinely require 8 ply, or higher tyres but these don't tend to be caravans. this extract is from a Pirelli website on tyre markings.

"Your tyre may also contain a letter indicating the load range. Unlike the load index, this single number does not refer to a specific amount of weight that the tyre can bear. Rather, it more generally specifies the toughness of the tyre and the amount of air pressure that it can hold. It can also be called the ply rating because tyres used to be built with different layers of cords and fabric called plies, and the more plies, the sturdier the tyre and the farther along in the alphabet the ply rating letter was. This type of construction is no longer used, but a tyre with a load range of C, for example, is the equivalent of a 6-ply tyre.

The tyre sidewall may also show information about the materials used to construct the tyre’s sidewall and body. "

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Going forward , am I safe asking my tyre shop to supply compliant tyres for my caravan or do I have to specify ply rating, c, m x y z etc psi, or take their word😋😋

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going forward , am I safe asking my tyre shop to supply compliant tyres for my caravan or do I have to specify ply rating, c, m x y z etc psi, or take their word😋😋
Just select your tyres by Load Index recommended by the caravan maker. Ply rating is not relevant. You could go a bit higher on Load Index if you feel the need for an increased margin. Speed rating isn’t normally an issue for caravans.

I tend to choose my own tyres for cars or vans, and have them delivered to a fitting center if they cannot supply what I require.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just select your tyres by Load Index recommended by the caravan maker. Ply rating is not relevant. You could go a bit higher on Load Index if you feel the need for an increased margin. Speed rating isn’t normally an issue for caravans.

I tend to choose my own tyres for cars or vans, and have them delivered to a fitting center if they cannot supply what I require.
I’ve never asked for ply ratings just decent approve caravan tyres!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts