Feeding cable into caravan for 5G antenna while parked up only

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Has anybody knowledge of actually what cable or cabling is involved? Would make giving targeted advice way more specific.

Edit: a quick look indicates some are WiFi some Ethernet, probably using PoE.
Neither seem to me to be challenges on a temporary potable basis, more a challenge if a permanent fixed solution is envisaged.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used Rockboard “ flat cable” for tv and sat. Different cables of course. If OP knows the cable spec for his needs then a quick search will give options. Just include “flat” in the search.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Phone on roof in plastic bag and use wifi. No need for any cabling. Simples.
Much my solution, but then its "tethering" the mobile not using a dedicated MiFi unit.
Re cabling, it's going to depend on the device the OP is using, which so far I have not picked up on. By inference, the mention of a cable implies its not a device with onboard powering and or wifi data transmission.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024
Visit site
So for reference, it's a ZTE U50 MiFi 5G device that has additional ports for external antennae to improve reception of the mobile signal in weaker signal areas.

Rather than clutter the roof of the caravan with an AVTex aerial and router, which seems like a far more expensive way of achieving the same thing, this provides an easy solution within which we can switch SIM cards easily dependent on the local dominant mobile provider.

Whilst I understand that for some, any time away from home is an opportunity to completely disconnect, for others we use it as an opportunity to work from somewhere different and take the option outside of work time to investigate and discover a new area, usually around a long weekend!

Horses for courses, as someone else might have said...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So for reference, it's a ZTE U50 MiFi 5G device that has additional ports for external antennae to improve reception of the mobile signal in weaker signal areas.

Rather than clutter the roof of the caravan with an AVTex aerial and router, which seems like a far more expensive way of achieving the same thing, this provides an easy solution within which we can switch SIM cards easily dependent on the local dominant mobile provider.

Whilst I understand that for some, any time away from home is an opportunity to completely disconnect, for others we use it as an opportunity to work from somewhere different and take the option outside of work time to investigate and discover a new area, usually around a long weekend!

Horses for courses, as someone else might have said...
If signal is poor, then I think there is nothing much that can be done, but open to correction?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Any details on these ports, I am not finding any info on this?

I find there can be quite a difference in the signal pulled in between my phone in the van, an aluminium clad one, or outside, much depends if a window is in line to break the van's Faraday cage.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I find there can be quite a difference in the signal pulled in between my phone in the van, an aluminium clad one, or outside, much depends if a window is in line to break the van's Faraday cage.
We open one of the skylights and place the phone on the roof when we are in an area with poor reception. However if you are in a dip, nothing much you can do to stream to the phone.

At East Fleet farm in Weymouth we had that issue and not much we could do about it. Strangely when down in Brean in Somerset where the area is flat, the signal can be poor on many campsites? Apparently people in the area haven been complaining about this abnormality for some time?

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Don't know if relevant but I could not get signal for my TV, my brother had a cheap magnetic small aerial and stuck it on roof of car, hey presto 100% crystal clear picture. About £7 from the bay of plenty.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don't know if relevant but I could not get signal for my TV, my brother had a cheap magnetic small aerial and stuck it on roof of car, hey presto 100% crystal clear picture. About £7 from the bay of plenty.
Sometimes a wire coat hanger will work just as well. :D

May 20, 2024
Visit site

That's really part of it. We're a Bailey, so the AluTech potentially presents reception problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts