ferry fare

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone taken a camper van on DFDS recently? I've just been quoted £231, which includes two dogs,but is more than I paid for the caravan back in the Spring! I queried it and it came down to £160 inc dogs. I've paid it, but it still seems high. Last Autumn I'm pretty sure was only £120.
This is with Caravan Club's alleged discount, too.
Your comments, please, fellow travelers.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi we're off to France this October half term - with P&O not DFDS - but I noticed that our ferry crossing was £100 more than last October, and the same price as in the school summer holidays. I wonder if prices have just 'gone up'?? I think I paid just over £250rtn for car plus caravan (7.9m) and bikes on the car roof, 4 passengers, no pets.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Is it not just because the kids are on holiday again we were going to go too . We were looking at the week before they broke up which was cheap but the return bit for coming back the prices shot up in price because the kids are still on holiday ! Shocking . It's the same for flying go a few days before kids break up and it is cheap but coming back when they're still onn holiday it shoots up by £1,ooo !!!

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Prices have gone up we take the same ferry same weekend in September every year solo, and next year it's currently £110, this year it was £77!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Is it not just because the kids are on holiday again we were going to go too . We were looking at the week before they broke up which was cheap but the return bit for coming back the prices shot up in price because the kids are still on holiday ! Shocking . It's the same for flying go a few days before kids break up and it is cheap but coming back when they're still onn holiday it shoots up by £1,ooo !!!

I know it's not good when prices go up in school holidays but it's been the same for years. When I was at school we always had our summer holiday in June as my parents couldn't afford the extra cost of going in school holidays. Our holidays were always in UK. The situation in Syria, Turkey and North Africa has affected package holidays too as everyone wants Spain. Last year my wife went with daughter and granddaughter and it was £2000 for 7 days with one day in term time just before May bank holiday. This year it was £3000 for same holiday. Now that's not down to the £ slipping against the € Euro. I had a lecturer from LBS and his advice on pricing in a competitive market was to seek the highest price that would achieve a sale!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Wasn't it a foregone conclusion that when P&O and DFDS forced MyFerry off the short sea crossing that fares would increase? Also with freight traffic increasing by more than 10% each year, tourist traffic can be held to ransom. They have no need to offer attractive fares.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jaydug said:
Wasn't it a foregone conclusion that when P&O and DFDS forced MyFerry off the short sea crossing that fares would increase? Also with freight traffic increasing by more than 10% each year, tourist traffic can be held to ransom. They have no need to offer attractive fares.

Ive just spotted your blog and read it. Nothing short of inspirational and i agree with your views on the BX. One of our favourites too. Many more ferry crossings for you.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
otherclive said:
Ive just spotted your blog and read it. Nothing short of inspirational and i agree with your views on the BX. One of our favourites too. Many more ferry crossings for you.

Thank you! I enjoy writing it (and taking the pictures) It stops me getting into mischief. ;)

May 11, 2017
Visit site
After the high seas that Brian gave us yesterday Mr H is taking over all transport bookings and ferry costs will apparently no longer be an issue in our household as we'll be tunnelling all the way :(

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Eurotunnel all the time for us no more ferries !
The one from and to Holland was enough for me no more Holland , France for us !! Plus I was hit with a £3o.oo extra on my o2 bill when using my WhatsApp on the boat which I didn't realise connect to their satellites so wasn't best pleased about that either !! :angry: :p

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Craigyoung said:
Eurotunnel all the time for us no more ferries ! P

I would agree with you when I travel from Dover to Calais but unfortunately there's no tunnel that goes from the south of England to northern Spain so I just hope that none of Brian's younger brothers come along in the next couple of weeks to stop the ferries..

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
It is DFDS Dover to Dunkerque for me.....their ships have free wifi ;)

Just booked a return crossing for early next year using the MH&CC booking service and received a 20% discount over booking direct. ( offer available until 31/10/2017 )
I paid £133.60 return for car and caravan which is around half the price of the available equivalent Eurotunnel fare.

Each to their own of course :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts