Fire Buckets

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have seen on some sites on the net tha say yuo must ave a fire bucket for all caravan club sites and camping and caravan sites? Is this true

Thanks

Trevor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use caravan club sites the majority of the time and hardly ever see fire buckets. I would far rather carry a small fire extinguisher in the van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

Most of the CC sites I have been on over the years do have fire buckets filled with sand. They also have very clear instructions what to do in the event of a fire including ring the manual bell.

Have I mised something or are we talking about something else??

Cheers

Alan

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

A bucket of water has it's uses in fire extinguishing - an awning fire for instance would be best handled with several buckets of water.

On the same awning fire, sand won't do much and you need to practise with a CO2 or dry powder extinguisher...

Robert

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The trouble here is that different fires need different extinguisers. Eg you would never throw water on an chip pan fire.

Personally I carry a CO2 job and hope I never have to use it.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI folks you r on about fire buckets if you read your rules of the club it clearly states that all vans should have a fire bucket outside each van .very sad to say but unless you get the fire out very very quickly i would get everyone out as fast as possible and let it burn . a bucket of water will not put out a caravan fire within 5 minutes the van will be a gonner

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It might state that in the rules, but we've been on loads of Caravan Club sites and we don't even possess a fire bucket - let alone leave it outside the caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Duggie

Which rule is this ?

According to the club's 17 key sections, section 11 relates to "Fire Precautions".

It states:-

a) Everyone on the site should acquaint themselves with the safety precautions against fire and the whereabouts of the fire points.

b) Fires must not be lit on the site.

There is nothing I can find today about fire buckets or extinguishers.

I agree with you the most important first action is complete evacuation of all people in the caravan and indeed those nearby.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
Time to get one then Val ;) 99p from B&Q for an Orange Bucket wont break the bank plus its handy to stand the bottles of booze in when travelling!

On a serious note, having that bucket of water there doesnt cost anything and could save one of your family getting hurt.

Mind you, preaching aside - we have only just bought one as we are off to France - and we have to have one there.

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
My F-i-L has been a member of both the CC and C&CC for donkey's years and reckons that it used to be common to see most if not all the 'vans with fire buckets by the jockey wheel.

His thought is that if there was, say an awning fire, then the collective use of the fire buckets might help the situation or at least try and reduce the potential for the caravan going up in flames.

Like others have said though, once a fire takes hold it may be safer to stand back and leave it to the Fire Service!

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Duggie

Which rule is this ?

According to the club's 17 key sections, section 11 relates to "Fire Precautions".

It states:-

a) Everyone on the site should acquaint themselves with the safety precautions against fire and the whereabouts of the fire points.

b) Fires must not be lit on the site.

There is nothing I can find today about fire buckets or extinguishers.

I agree with you the most important first action is complete evacuation of all people in the caravan and indeed those nearby.

Cheers

Alan
HI Alan re rules it maybe that it is an old rule from years ago read it somewhere but lets not fallout over it, as said by others it maybe that people just don,t seem to bother anymore

with fire buckets .personally its something i have always done plus i use it to fill my toilet in the van with ( bucket has got a good spout on the rim for pouring into the filler )then last thing i just fill it up and stand it at my jockey wheel then all the passing dogs can also get a drink so it does 2 jobs

thanks

Duggie

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a fire fighter, and yes, a bucket of water would do on site for perhaps a minor grass fire caused by a bbq coal or disguarded cig end,but as far as I am concerned if my awning, or van catches, the last thing I would do is go for the bucket, my first priority is getting every one out, and by that time the van is probably gone any way.

Its amazing how quickly a van catches, and to be quite honest it would be dangerious to try and tackle it with a bucket of water.It would be much smarter to abandon ship, and tell the others around you, so they can do the same.

The idea of CC sites having a fire bucket is, in my opinion,a romantic notion, harking back to the good old days.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Duggie

Thanks for that. No problem.

Thinking about Anthony's comments I realise that modern awnings tend to have acrylic roofs etc rather than the old fashioned materials of old. I'm not sure how well acrylic buirns or idf wate ris the right extinguishment? I don't know.

What is clear to me , apart from swift evacuation of all persons and animals , is the need to have something, eg co2 or water just to buy time if nothing else.

Safety must come first.

Strange isn't it how old fashioned safety things get forgotten and we reinvent the wheel.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

I've had my current extinguisher seven years now. Will it work? No idea. Maybe I should have it tested or just buy a new one.

I'd never really thought about it's lifespan yet the ones at work were checked every year.

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Very good point about the lifespan of small caravan extinguishers, the thought of having it checked had never even crossed my mind!

Does anybody know how long they can be expected to last in full working condition? (and how would you know it was working unless you tested it?).

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Very good point about the lifespan of small caravan extinguishers, the thought of having it checked had never even crossed my mind!

Does anybody know how long they can be expected to last in full working condition? (and how would you know it was working unless you tested it?).
another item worth looking for in Lidl/Aldi as have been quite cheap there in the past :)

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
To all,

I have a 1kg powder fire extinguiser, so here is my attempt to answer the questions in the previous post:-

How long will it last whilst in operation? I would assume no longer than 1 or 2 minutes.

How do you know it will work? You don't, that's why you must take extra precaution when using a naked flame, whether it be the cooker,hob or BBQ

best regards, Martin

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

Last year the caravan next to use had a BBQ this some how set fire to the awning. If I and others had not had a buckets of water handy I think things could have got out of control very quickly.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
To all,

I have a 1kg powder fire extinguiser, so here is my attempt to answer the questions in the previous post:-

How long will it last whilst in operation? I would assume no longer than 1 or 2 minutes.

How do you know it will work? You don't, that's why you must take extra precaution when using a naked flame, whether it be the cooker,hob or BBQ

best regards, Martin
I actually meant what is their life span, perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly, but thanks for your help :)

Dec 18, 2007
Visit site
The use of fire buckets is a rule we use in our club. Check the gauge, the pointer should be in the green zone.Dry powder does settle over time.Turn it upside down, put your ear to the side and you should hear it falling.If it doesn`t try a GENTLE tap on the side until it does.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts