First Caravan...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Well, some fantastic news! I had the caravan checked yesterday, got lucky and inspector fitted me in. He's told me I have bought a good caravan! Average of 9% damp, couple of small patches on floor at 18, oven never used. Also tested appliances on gas all good. He did find small patch of dry rot inside front locker on one side but otherwise good condition. I'm going to see of he will repair the dry rot. Inspector advised me to go careful as he may just offer my money back instead of repair as van is good and price was right. I feel so so relieved. Doesn't affect fact it was dirty, but ive cleaned it now and feel reassured everything is OK. Actually slept last night. Thank you all. Any advice on the dry rot would be welcom it's inside the front outside locker, panel on side of locker offside.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, some fantastic news! I had the caravan checked yesterday, got lucky and inspector fitted me in. He's told me I have bought a good caravan! Average of 9% damp, couple of small patches on floor at 18, oven never used. Also tested appliances on gas all good. He did find small patch of dry rot inside front locker on one side but otherwise good condition. I'm going to see of he will repair the dry rot. Inspector advised me to go careful as he may just offer my money back instead of repair as van is good and price was right. I feel so so relieved. Doesn't affect fact it was dirty, but ive cleaned it now and feel reassured everything is OK. Actually slept last night. Thank you all. Any advice on the dry rot would be welcom it's inside the front outside locker, panel on side of locker offside.
That’s a good outcome. I wonder if the damp measured under the bed on the floor could have been the result of too enthusiastic hosing down of the outside and it came in via an external locker for under bed access. Just need to keep an eye on it as time goes on.

Given your circumstances and the pressures of moving home etc it must be welcome news.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
That’s a good outcome. I wonder if the damp measured under the bed on the floor could have been the result of too enthusiastic hosing down of the outside and it came in via an external locker for under bed access. Just need to keep an eye on it as time goes on.

Given your circumstances and the pressures of moving home etc it must be welcome news.
It's the best news ever, so relieved. He said as it was a damp wet day yesterday the meter readings could have been higher than on dry hot day. Will keep an eye on it and stop worrying and start enjoying my caravan now!

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's the best news ever, so relieved. He said as it was a damp wet day yesterday the meter readings could have been higher than on dry hot day. Will keep an eye on it and stop worrying and start enjoying my caravan now!
When we came back from a wet two weeks last year the caravan readings were up in some areas around 15% as we had two wet dogs and had to use the van shower as the site ones were closed for covid. Yet two weeks later after emptying the van and putting it into store the readings were down to 10-12% on my meter. It’s trends that you need to monitor when you get a reading that is neither low or very high.

Reactions: Cavalier
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
When we came back from a wet two weeks last year the caravan readings were up in some areas around 15% as we had two wet dogs and had to use the van shower as the site ones were closed for covid. Yet two weeks later after emptying the van and putting it into store the readings were down to 10-12% on my meter. It’s trends that you need to monitor when you get a reading that is neither low or very high.
Thanks for explaining that. It is what the inspector said too, helps to hear a real life example.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi All, so I bought my first caravan just over a week ago, I am living in it until I find a new house to buy as mine has sold. Caravan is 2014 from a dealer with good reviews. However, it has been stood for a while and although he said it would be cleaned before delivery it is filthy. I've cleaned what I can, but the roof vent blinds were full of flies, all around the windows once open was filthy and the outside door lockers for access to under bed and bench etc. Plus the roof vents. I've had to clean everything I can myself, but the roof vents are impossible for me. I paid £14,000 for the van. I expected it to be spotless. Am I being unreasonable to think all these things should be clean? Or is this normal? I have no prior experience and would appreciated your opinions. Thank you!
Caravan dealers appear to have a different cod of conduct to the Motor Trade.
And I quote my recent experience buying a 2013 Caravan.
Before sale the statement "We will clean it"
After sale becomes "We dont Valet it, we wash it"
Also "We will service it"
Becomes " We dont service it, we make sure that it is safe"
With my Caravan although they may have checked the brake linings, they could not have checked the Tyre Pressures. My caravan tyres had an Aluminium Valve Cap. Over perhaps years of not coming off for the pressures to be checked the Aluminium Valve Cap had stuck to the Brass Valve Stem and would not come undone.
I had decided to check the tyre pressures as I had been an MOT Tester for over 25 years and the tyres looked low. I had to take the wheels off and get a tyre place to cut the valves off and replace with new.
And did they check that the Water Heater was working, ? Perhaps they let the new owner find the faults for them and fix it under warrenty. ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts