First outing of the year :)

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hope everyone had a great Christmas :)

Anyone made their first caravanning trip out this year yet?

We are going away next Friday which will be our first time this year, winter tyres and mulled cider are on standby!

Not sure where we will be going yet, not that many places are open at the moment but we will probably end up on the east coast somewhere.

Cant wait to be back out again, it's been a long couple of months not being able to play out!

If it's dry I might try get the awning out and see what's missing and if I can get the bits or have to buy a new one, which would be a shame as Isabella awnings are supposed to be pretty good!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We're away in a few weeks down to the Peak District , weather not bothered about as long as we're away , can't wait , not been away since November, so a small shopping list has had to be done to restock the van , then a few weekends booked for leyburn in yorkshire , Scotland for Easter to ! Enjoy .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hurry up and retire so that your first outing of the year can be down to sunny Spain. Arrived 30 December and immediately put fleeces into storage bag under bed. Euro / GBP rate makes it seem particularly good this year.

Hasta pronto !

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We were there last Easter , great site , plenty to do , but are going to the poolsbrook country caravan club site this time , hopefully the snow is still about then !

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Got my first trip booked just up the road, Morn Hill CC site, 20th March, just so I can Give the van a once over before I take it further afield...

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to retire later this year and like you, head south to Spain! Can you let me know whereabouts in Spain you are and what tips and hints might you have for a newbie??

Thanks,

Jim O

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We always go away for xmas and the new year , the children are still young and love going away.

and then we are at Kelling heath in a couple of weeks for half term

Only real problem is finding sites that are open this time of year !

Andy p

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Got home last weekend, 3 nights in Derbyshire (CL) then up to Rowntree Park (York) for 4 nights, cool but mainly dry (a little windy) but an enjoyable time. Nothing better than a 'snug' warm van to get back to. (Unless it's sunshine of course!)

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
RayS said:
Hurry up and retire so that your first outing of the year can be down to sunny Spain. Arrived 30 December and immediately put fleeces into storage bag under bed. Euro / GBP rate makes it seem particularly good this year.

Hasta pronto !

I wish! Ive got 40 years to go until i get to retire unless something extraordinary happens!

Struggling to find somewhere to go that's open on the east coast at the minute, might have to look elsewhere or go back to The Blue Rose in Brandesburton again which is open all year round but a bit in land from the coast.

Might give Spring Willows at Staxton a call and see if they are still accepting tourers, every where seems to be seasonal only or statics that ive tried so far!

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
We had our first outing this year 2 weeks ago to try out our new van (new to us). Only went a few miles from home at the C&CC site nr Enfield. Booked up to go to the Hertford site in 2 weeks time.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
We're booked to go to Norfolk at the end of the month and really looking forward to it. Getting fed up with looking at the van on the drive and not using it! :eek:hmy:

We've been to the Hertford C&CC site twice which is handy for visiting our son. Staff are really helpful and the site is nice too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we're in siuth east Spain near Mojacar. This corner has some of the highest sun hours in Europe. It's desert in places and less built up than the coast further north, although there are more sites up there. If you read the overseas touring caregory you will find much good advice, especially for first timers. Suggest you post any questions in that category, plenty of people will help. Pitches tend to be smaller than in uk. Your outfit should have no problems with the terrain.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Our first outing is booked for the 15th March for a couple of nights up north on the edge on the Pennines, it cannot come fast enough we a climbing the walls at the moment.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
We have been counting down the days since our last trip mid-November and it looks as if it will be a 'late' start this year when we go off to Plough Lane in Chippenham for the week up to Easter (oh the joys of working in a school). We would be off sooner but have had mountains of decorating to do (still not finished), hence the later start. We are restricted this year for holidays in the van as our daughter is getting married in Cornwall and has had a new house built so two of our 4 week holidays will be spent at theirs. Champing at the bit for our weekends away though and have found some different places to go to for weekends this year, so watch this space!

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Well we are booked on, just got to wait now, and I hate waiting!

Wondering if i should buy a jacket for the gas bottle and water bottle I case it does get very cold?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cento16v said:
Well we are booked on, just got to wait now, and I hate waiting!

Wondering if i should buy a jacket for the gas bottle and water bottle I case it does get very cold?

Hello Centro,
Have you ever seen roofing contractors heating a cauldron of bitumen with a red propane bottle, and have you noticed the frost (yes frost) that forms around the bottom part of the cylinder. Well that demonstrates that as you use gas from a bottle, the bottle actually cools down. Propane cools down so much that it acts like a refrigerator and produces frost. What is happening is the liquified Propane in the bottle needs latent heat in the body of the liquid to enable it to boil and release gas vapour for us to use. This cools the liquid and it tries to grab more heat from its surrounding which in this case is the bottle wall. Propane will boil at temperatures down to about -40C, which is well below the freezing point of water so thats why frost will start to bee seen when the gas is being used.

Butane tries to do the same, but because its characteristics are different it only boils when its just above 0C. So because the the pressure of the gas is determined by the temperature, to get enough pressure to run a caravan, the gas bottle needs to be in air above about 4C. If you were to but an insulating jacket on a bottle, it will prevent the air from warming the bottle, and it will stop the gas bottle from producing enough gas in low ambient temperatures.

I would actually suggest that if you intend to do winter caravanning arrange to switch to Propane. Propane is also fine in UK summers so stick with the same all year round. but a jacket is a NO. NO.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just had few hours at the van , Beds made , cupboards restocked , and visual cheks done , will need to clean it whilst on site , bit dirty and will be even more after 3 hours of road grime when we go to the Peak District for half term , can't wait :)

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We're looking forward to our first outing at Easter. We are off to Stanmore Hall, Bridgnorth. We'll be visiting Ironbridge, family, and The Gadget Show Live! Van is coming home soon from storage for it's annual service, floor delamination fix, and bathroom damp fix! CAN'T WAIT!!! B)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
crazyguider said:
We're looking forward to our first outing at Easter. We are off to Stanmore Hall, Bridgnorth. We'll be visiting Ironbridge, family, and The Gadget Show Live! Van is coming home soon from storage for it's annual service, floor delamination fix, and bathroom damp fix! CAN'T WAIT!!! B)

Re the bathroom damp - didn't Sir Fixalot do away with the shower. Did you tell the kids it wasn't there? ;)

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Sir F did do away with the shower, and. Theres no way my son will get in a shower without a bribe! daughter prefers the on site onesany way. We think the damp is coming up through some wood that is under the outside skirt behind the wheel arch. Sir F discovered that when he removed the skirt the wood was end on, open grained, and appeared to be untreated. The current thinking is that water has tracked up this into the bathroom as it gets drier the higher up the wall you test! Van back soon so we're getting the servicechap to have a look.

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
So we're safely back from another successful weekend away :)

We set off early on a dull, yet dry Friday morning, after a final check and tyre pressure stop, we were on our way.

The great thing about setting off to the East Coast at 9:30 on a cold Friday morning in February, is that I think we may have been the only people in England to do this, which meant we had the roads to ourselves!

We got to our site, 'Spring Willows' at Staxton, about 5 miles from Scarborough for 11am, so 1:30 for a 65 mile journey, which passed without incident and the car averaged 25.4 MPG, not bad for a petrol V6 pulling an older unaerodynamic van.

Once we arrived we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who let us know about where to find everything, and we're advised where the touring pitch was and to pick our spot wherever we liked.

We soon found the reason we could pick any spot we liked, we were the only people there! :lol:

We got unpacked and set up, I realised I had made a mistake as I hadn't brought any wood blocks and all the touring pitches were on a slope , so front to back I had the rear stays quite extended as it was quite a big slope, I found some old wood some one else had left and procured it to make the gap at the rear a bit better.

Once set up I realised cleaning the caravan before I set off was a fruitless exercise as both the van and car were pretty much grey with road grime, ah well, more fun for when I get home, I think some mud flaps might be a good buy!

It was the first weekend the place had opened for the year so the swimming pool was closed, which didn't bother us as we probably wouldn't have used it anyway, and they were still carrying out some work onsite.

The only thing that wasn't ideal was the site when I last went, in about 2002 with my parents, used to be all tourers, now it's 90% statics, but the toilet block is still near the club house, and the tourers are up a hill, a decent walk from them, which isn't ideal for the wife if she had a shower and had to walk back with cold wet hair.

We had a brilliant meal at a pub that was about a 20 minute walk at a little village up the road on the Saturday night, the pub was called 'The Foxhound' and was packed, the food and beer was fantastic and I could certainly recommend it, we had a large meal and a couple of drinks each for less than £25 and the portions were huge and of brilliant quality, neither of us finished our meals!

But the owners were a friendly bunch, we were welcome in the bar when we popped in for a couple of drinks, and I'm sure we will be back in summer, hopefully it's a bit busier then and hopefully the A64 won't be shut over the weekend as I found out on the way home, which necessitated a big detour up some very narrow, very muddy single track lanes and a trip down Garriby hill, which seemed a lot smaller than I remember but if you know the area, used to be quite a hill that caught people out!

Can't wait to get back out now, wanted to go away this weekend!

Ordered some more bits to play with and install in the van instead though, going to add some USB ports for my iPad dock and get a nice thick runner for the front to protect the carpets, really pleased with how it has come together inside now :)

Oh and they look better now they are all clean again, never seen so much muck in one place!
There's 5 hours of a Sunday I wont get back!

I could write a lot more but I don't want to bore you all, really enjoying the van and the experiences we've had so far :)

Stay safe out there :)

Liam

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Liam, thanks so much for all the photos and it is great to hear you're having such a super time. I'm glad it's lunchtime as those burgers and chips look AMAZING!

May 7, 2008
Visit site
We've just returned from three days away at Apple Tree Farm Campsite near Stroud, Gloucester. It's a beautiful campsite and well looked after. Toilets with underfloor heating were a welcome bonus too at this time of the year. We spent our time visiting friends and exploring the area. Stroud has a wonderful farmers market and we really enjoyed the selection of antiques shops. We took our 1967 Regency Balmoral and 1978 Jaguar XJ6 4.2

Regency_Jaguar_zps94013c39.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts