First Time on a CS

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well here goes off tomorrow to check out our first ever CS, located quite local but down in the South Hams/Salcombe area. :woohoo:
will have the luxury of a 6 amp hook up so gonna run water, heater (if needed) Fridge + kettle all on gas.
Thought it was going to be cheap but at £16.00 per night I thought it was a tad overpriced, but as always I jumped in and agreed the booking before I asked what the fees were!!! :(
But they do have shower(s) etc on site. ...at 20p for three minutes!!!
And to make it worse another local all singing all dancing site advertised nights for £10.00 per night.
But I'm really looking forward to it.
if it's any good I wont tell you where it is ;)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Well here goes off tomorrow to check out our first ever CS, located quite local but down in the South Hams/Salcombe area. :woohoo:
will have the luxury of a 6 amp hook up so gonna run water, heater (if needed) Fridge + kettle all on gas.
Thought it was going to be cheap but at £16.00 per night I thought it was a tad overpriced, but as always I jumped in and agreed the booking before I asked what the fees were!!! :(
And to make it worse another local all singing all dancing site advertised nights for £10.00 per night.

On 6 Amps it begs the question why run these on gas? With our 1100 Watt kettle that would be on electricity as well.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
JTQ said:
Gagakev said:

On 6 Amps it begs the question why run these on gas? With our 1100 Watt kettle that would be on electricity as well.

Hi JTQ, using this as an experiment for two reasons, ( I havent really been off grid before, the only time I did I borrowed a generator so not the same really.)
So want to see if the fridge will perform better on gas as it gets wet inside on electric! (May have to fit a fan)
And secondly we are looking at there THS for weekends in the summer months.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
As an avid tenting type camper with the intention of purchasing a caravan after the summer this year it has always been my intention to continue visiting some of my favourite sites that do not have electric hook up as well as utilising the full range of facilities and capabilities offered at sites designed for caravans.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev
CL and CS prices do vary quite considerably.
In two weeks time we will be near Appleby in Westmoreland on a CL fully serviced pitch,16amp EHU plus shower and toilet foc. £16.00 per night.
As it's fully serviced we will probably use our own bathroom facilities.
Our favourite CL in North Devon is £12.00 per night 10 amp no facilities.
Do you look at UK campsites? Very useful.
Enjoy the break.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
CL is certified location for 5 caravans usualy and is Caravan Club certified. CS is the same but controled by the Caravan and Camping Club.

Sir Gagakev I also have water in the fridge when on mains, don't know about running on gas though. My service man said it is probably the seal around the fridge door not making a proper seal all round and allowing warm air in allowing the iceing department to partly thaw.

Trevor

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
I am assuming that CS is camp site (is that correct?)...but what is CL? I am not good with abbrvs. or acron'ms.

They are small usually maximum 5 caravans any one time privately owned but affiliated to the Clubs and subject of approval by the Clubs.
The Camping and Caravanning Club call theirs CS. Certificated Site.
The Caravan Club call theirs CL. Certificated Location.
They have a lot to offer and are often situate in scenic positions.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
It is dear for a cl Kev, we're here - http://www.appledorepark.co.uk for a couple of nights on way to Pentewan (Rally), at £17 per night. 16 amp hook up, tap on pitch, beautiful facilities, lovely contoured site, gorgeous. Second season of new site but it is already maturing nicely. We have moved the other way having done some 700+ rallies, 99% no services , I/we don't go without our umbilical cord nowadays, getting soft in old age!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
It is dear for a cl Kev, we're here - http://www.appledorepark.co.uk for a couple of nights on way to Pentewan (Rally), at £17 per night. 16 amp hook up, tap on pitch, beautiful facilities, lovely contoured site, gorgeous. Second season of new site but it is already maturing nicely. We have moved the other way having done some 700+ rallies, 99% no services , I/we don't go without our umbilical cord nowadays, getting soft in old age!

Looks nice Sir Gab may check it out ourselves one day in the future, hope you enjoy.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Trevormc said:
CL is certified location for 5 caravans usualy and is Caravan Club certified. CS is the same but controled by the Caravan and Camping Club.

Sir Gagakev I also have water in the fridge when on mains, don't know about running on gas though. My service man said it is probably the seal around the fridge door not making a proper seal all round and allowing warm air in allowing the iceing department to partly thaw.

Trevor

Hi Trevor you are a star, let me show myself up here!!!
Using the fridge on gas and not a blind bit of difference grrr
Read your reply earlier and went to check the door seal, and the door was actually ajar!!
We haven't been closing the door properly it needs a further gentle push to get the seal to perform. !!!
Just checked it and no water as it has all frozen around the freezer area,
Thanks for your help.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Trevormc said:

Trevor

Hi Trevor you are a star, let me show myself up here!!!
Using the fridge on gas and not a blind bit of difference grrr
Read your reply earlier and went to check the door seal, and the door was actually ajar!!
We haven't been closing the door properly it needs a further gentle push to get the seal to perform. !!!
Just checked it and no water as it has all frozen around the freezer area,
Thanks for your help.
Oh dear Sir Gagakev you plonker.
I propose you get a 4 Bar for that perpendicular pronoun.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
1. Price. These vary greatly and depend on area as well as facilities. Some overprice themselves. A friend has a CL and did very well but pushed price up to find people stopped booking. Back down to £12 and bookings returned. I work on a formula- basic site with no ehu or loos =£10 if grass is cut and place easy accessible. (Take off £2 if not) Add £3 for 16 amps, Add £3 for loos and free showers. I never pay more than £15 for a CL/S.
2. Fridge. Had many fridges and run on both gas and elec. Only time had wet in it is when we haven't closed door properly so I ould agree with possible seal problem.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well folks we survived :woohoo:

First obstacle was to level the van, side to side, always used the yellow ramp before and that was sufficient, oh no not this time :( Had to get the wheel higher so out with the bits of packing, (18 inch cut down scaffold boards), put down three thick, nope back it off and put four thick only just got there driving up the yellow ramp. Perfect :)
Then it was plain sailing until i went to use the water heater on gas, wouldn't stay alight,
red light would come on :( Went to read the instructions and it hit me, yes I left the cover on the external flue!!
(Never used it on gas before).
Then it was time to enjoy and enjoy we did (even the torrential rain on Friday afternoon and evening).
Quiet, peaceful, large well kept site, watching the rabbit's and even the fox's outside the awning on the first night and again up the top of the site on the third evening. Nice 5 acre field for the dog walk, Buddy loved chasing the rabbits, never caught one though!!
All in all a very good break for our first CS.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
This is getting out of hand Sir[strike] Doggy[/strike] Dusty Dog first of all you call me a Woosie and now you call me a Plonker, why do you have to always tell the truth?? :lol: :silly: :lol:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Dustydog said:
This is getting out of hand Sir[strike] Doggy[/strike] Dusty Dog first of all you call me a Woosie and now you call me a Plonker, why do you have to always tell the truth?? :lol: :silly: :lol:

Well Sir Gagakev
It deserves a 4th BAR in my book.
I hear you are good at erections but four scaffold boards and a yellow ramp to get level is mind boggling :woohoo: :woohoo:
Was it the side of a mountain :kiss:

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
As it goes we also just stayed on our first CS last weekend, near Weston Super Mare, called Watersmeet Farm (nice and close to home in Bristol). £14 a night. Quite quite, but at the same time an eclectic and varied mix of very friendly campers and caravanners. Plenty of room on the pitch, 16A electrics, nice clean loos and showers, and a shed load of animals for the little one to see & feed as it's also a farm. Great weekend.

Then we realised it's the air show in Weston this weekend so decided to come back this coming weekend. Bit of a pain to tow the van back to Bristol then back to the same CS a week later, so we spoke to the owner. They weren't busy this week so for a nominal fee of £10 we have been able to leave it on the pitch all week so it'll be set up ready for us on Friday afternoon. Lovely.

We're new fans of CSs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts