First time overseas with Dog !

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
HI, I am going to be booking a ferry travelling to France and Italy.It will be the first time I have taken a dog abroad. I don't seem to see anywhere on the ferry online booking form a request to include a pet. Is this a necessity or do you just provide the pet passport on arrival at the check in ?
Two further questions:
Is there a charge for pets ?
Does your pet remain in the car whilst onboard the ferry ?
Cheers.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi

re dog we took ours abroad for first time in September, had to notify ferry company by 'phone, who charged £30 for him, dog had to stay in car for crossing

al

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Have you considered the tunnel ?
We like to use the tunnel as you are in your vehicle with the dog and as we have recently redeemed some 'Tesco" points we have sufficient for a couple of holidays.
The tunnel is also a £30 charge, suspect it is not really for the carriage of your pet more for the pet passport control on your return.
However you travel enjoy.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Ray

yes, cost was £30 return, if using Norfolkline they will check passport and scan microchip when you check in (may ask you to scan though!)

Al

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm at present arguing with Brittany Ferries over what exactly we get for our money. We have 2 dogs and when we went through Portsmouth just before Christmas it cost us about £80 return. At Portsmouth the dogs were not scanned, there are no special loading arrangements for cars carrying dogs and the dogs have to stay in the car at all times. In short, we get nothing for our money on the UK-France leg. The dogs are not even allowed in the terminal building.
France to the UK is slightly different in that they are scanned and various forms are filled in, the dogs are allowed in the terminal building but there is no special consideration re boarding etc. I consider the charges made by the various companies to be excessive and out of all proportion to the service received - UNLESS, they have to make some sort of payment to HMG (which I don't know about).
By the way, probably telling you something you know already, but don't forget to get your dog inspected by a vet at least 24 hrs and no more than 48 hours before you check in for the return crossing. Also make sure that the vet signs the passport in all 3 places, sometimes they forget to sign the bit that says the animal is fit to travel and this can cause all sorts of problems.

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I take it your doggie has a Pet Passport? We went with our two dogs on the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge last year. (Won't be using this one again for dogs). They were down in the car deck in what I can only describe as a dungeon for the crossing of 13 hours!
In my view if you have pets its best on the shortest route with the ferry or the tunnel where the dog stays in the back of the car.
It depends on the length of crossing whether the dogs stay with the car or go into kennels on board.
We booked a vet near to the port of Zeebrugge for their injections on the return, and she was very good. And yes there's always a charge for adminisration!! Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts