First time to Dordogne

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi
We are fairly new to caravanning and are planning our first lond distance trip to the Dordogne this summer.
We'd appreciate any advice on the best channel crossing and route etc. I guess Dover to Calais would involve negotiating Paris and then down the A20.
Also does anyone know of convenient sites for an overnight stop about halfway which is close to the motorway.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The easiest route is via Paris and it's not as daunting as you might think. First rule is - turn off the satnav! As you approach Paris (assuming you're on the autoroute) just follow the signs to Orleans, ignore any road numbers just keep following Orleans. Then, once you start seeing signs for Toulouse follow these. This route will take you round to the South of Paris. Going back, just follow the signs to Lille. Easy-peasey!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what route around Paris Paul is suggesting but if its the A104/N104 its very similar to the M25 but not as busy except in the rush hour. Its also free!
David

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
You might like to consider going via Rouen - that's the way we go when heading south towards the Dordogne. It's fairly easy to avoid most of Rouen which is the only bit which is likely to slow you down, depending upon your travel times. It's mostly motorway and more of it is free than going via Paris.

John M

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
OK I'll look at the Rouen route in addition to the roads around Paris.
Thanks to all for your advice. It's much appreciated.

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
I have been to the Dordogne twice, and have found the route via Rouen to be the best.Once passed Rouen take route 154 via Evreux, Chartes and join the A10 autoroute just north of Orleans. After Orleans, follow the A71 until Verzon and take A20 until Brive a Gaillard.This route takes you to the Eastern Dordogne. Overnight stays will depend on the time of your crossing, but I have found a very suitable O/N at Camp Municipal Eune et Seine, Pont de L'Arche(East of Rouen). Or at Noun le Fuzelier which is just of the A71, south of Orleans.
If you are a member of the Caravan Club, make sure you get their French caravan site book, which has proved very useful to get directions to site or find alternative O/Nights.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ollywols. A few people seem to be opting for the Rouen route. We are members of the Caravan Club so I'll get the book you suggested. Someone told me that the ACSI book was also useful, along with their discounts.
I'll look up the sites you suggested and opt for one of them. Thanks again for the tips.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use the Rouen route too, now - avoids Paris, and much cheaper on tolls (or can be done toll-free too!).

The ACSI book is good if you are going out of peak season, but if you're going mid-July to mid-August then it won't be much use to you. If you're going outside that peak season then Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) may also be of interest - some lovely sites in the Dordogne, as well as loads of others all over France.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that Val. We are going early June for a month so ACSI should be good.
Does anyone have experience of the Newhaven/ Dieppe ferry as that looks a good bet when taking the Rouen route? I guess it will be a bit more expensive than Dover/Calais but should chop a bit off the first day travelling in France.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It depends where you're setting off from, and whether you're towing or not. If you live near Newhaven then it may make sense, if you don't mind spending more money.
The Dover Calais (or Dover/Dunkerque) prices can be quite cheap - our crossing was £58.00 return, for car and caravan, including two people and the crossing takes about 2 hours. Looking at the LD Lines website, Newhaven/Dieppe with a caravan may be upwards of £300.00, and take four hours. Two hours journey time from Calais (the additional two hours 'before' the Dieppe ferry would arrive) will take you south of Rouen - so you'd be further on your way using the shorter crossing, if you set off at the same time! From the LD Lines website it would appear that you have only two crossings per day - 11.00 (ish) and 23.00 (ish). The day sailing would get you into France at 16.00 hours (ish) - and you'd still be three quarters of an hour away from Rouen! The Dover/Calais or Dover/Dunkerque sailings are approximately hourly - so you have a much wider choice of sailing times between the three operators on that route. Another consideration would be to use Eurotunnel - if you shop at Tesco then their Club Card vouchers can be exchanged for deals which can be used towards the cost of a Eurotunnel crossing.
Years ago we used to use the Newhaven/Dieppe route, when prices were roughly comparative with the Dover/Calais crossings, but these days we just go for the cheaper option. Driving in France is infinitely better than driving in Britain anyway.
From our experience this year, we found setting off from the North of France in the early morning gets you about half way to the Dordogne in time for a pleasant overnight stop. This year we stopped at Vatan, just off the A20 - a nice municipal site, absolutely a doddle from the motorway, and had an easy run to a site near Belves the following day. If you're setting off later in the day then you'd be looking at a site a bit further north, but recommendations really would depend on your arrival time in France and how long you could drive the first day.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Your comments re.sailing times from Dover versus Newhaven make a lot of sense along with the cost implications.

I think we'll just get to Calais early and then start motoring. As you say, the driving is so much better over there.

We are towing so maybe we'll do two stopovers on this first trip. I'll look at the areas you suggested.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The mention of Rouen raises hairs on the back of my neck = yes, still have hair.
Currently on site in Spain where one of the 'regulars' is missing. Reason, relied on satnav round Rouen. Didn't notice height signs on motorway ring. Result, caravan wedged in underpass, clutch burnt out trying to reverse out, gendarmes involved, caravan written off, holiday ruined, marriage under ' some stress'
Appreciate someone has alreay said switch off sat nav, but you will be having to watch height signs for two assuming a reasonable size motor van.

Please do your homework very carefully.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Are we talking about a motor home here? I've never found a low bridge on a motorway that would take a caravan out!
I still stick by my reply earlier - take the Paris route.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I can't imagine that a motorway bridge would be high enough to prevent a caravan passing, either. I have seen a caravan stuck under an underpass on the route to a supermarket - but never on the autoroute - what about HGV's, etc, which are all much taller than a caravan?? In fact we nearly got ourselves into problems on a underpass on the road leading to the Auchan supermarket at Cosny sur Loire - and only a very kind French man stopping the traffic for us to reverse about 200 metres saved the day!
We avoid all the problems with central Rouen by sticking to the eastern side of the Seine - at the bottom of the Darnetal tunnel we take the N15 before crossing the river, then take the D6015 then the N154 - which is an easy and straightforward route. The main difference we found between the Rouen route, and the Paris one is the cost of the tolls - via Paris it would cost 68 euros to Belves in the Dordogne, via Rouen it can cost 39 euros, but can be done without paying a toll at all, and without losing much time or much speed. Going on the Eastern route via the Paris ring road is very time-consuming if you want to try and find a toll-free route.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have towed through Rouen six times each way,North to South and back again). Always follow sat nav (Tomtom), never had a problem.

Steve W

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I too also go via Rouen and just follow my Garmin. I can’t see it’s different from any other city and don’t understand the trepidation some people seem to attach to this route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts