Fitting an extenal electric point.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to fit an external 240v elec socket to my Sprite Major 6 (2007). I'm pretty confident in doing this (recently rewired a house). However, the only issue I can see is locating the upright structural timbers in the van. Last thing I want to do is cut the hole and end up on a timber upright.

Has anyone fitted one before?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I fitted one of these under the van floor quite a few years ago

Even though they are rated at IP66 I still put a alloy deflector in front to divert forced water spraying up from the tyres..
Caravanaccesories021.jpg

It also saved having to cut into the van wall....
Caravanaccesories022.jpg

The good thing with this set up is the independent RCD breaker that trips before the main one in the van does. A new single socket is fitted in the locker behind where it is in the photo, the RCD is now plugged into that one as it was easy to press the test button with your leg when seated.
Caravanaccesories019.jpg

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think the question of which RCD would trip first is down to fortune. In fact given that it is fractionally nearer the earth incomer it is more likely I think that the van trip would go first.

The alternative is to use a DIN rail type RCD rated at 10mA which would be certain to trip before the 30mA in the van.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I also fitted an external IP66 socket in much the same way as Sprocket but clamped to and mounted vertically on the caravan chassis.
Instructions with my socket required vertical fitting to allow any moisture that might evade the waterproofing to drain away from live components.
Wiring to the socket required a spur double pole and fused isolation switch which I mounted out of sight inside a locker.
The external socket is thus only live if this switch is on and it is only ever on if the external socket is in use.
The main caravan RCD provides protection to this external socket.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I've already purchased the wall mounted socket, and quite keen on having it flush on the side of the van. I'm confident in doing it, just dont want to his anything structural on making the hole, i think i should be able to locate any vertical timber, and I'll take some photos as I go. I think if all goes well, it'll be a neat job. Purchased some Sikaflex and mastick roll to bed in the socket and screws to keep it water tight. That coupled with the socket I've purchased should stop any chance of ingress.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I fitted an additional 13 amp outlet but inside the battery compartment. That way I can run an extension out through where the ext power goes in. ( and no-one else can access it)

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
On my Elddis the battery compartment is almost split into two - one large space for the battery and one smaller section which houses the ext power skt. I also have the mover isolation switch in there. I put a standard caravan 13 amp skt just below the external power plug. Can still put the plug in with the external power plugged in ( but not when the mover isolation switch is in - but then you wouldn't want to would you?) I also put an 'F' type skt in and ran the coax round the van to the tv point - changed the tv skt from TV + DC to TV+ Sat + DC ( fits the same box so no hole to cut) for when I want to use a dish or the communal ariel on site.
HTH's I can send you pics next week - all packed to go to Cornwall tomorrow for w/e.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
here's the tv+sat+dc that I fitted
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AERIAL-12V-SATELLITE-SOCKET-TO-FIT-CBE-C-LINE-FRAMES-MOTORHOME-BOAT-CARAVAN-/331525184169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d3070daa9

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Tackled the fitting of the external socket on Saturday. I think it went quite well, took about an hour and looks nice and neat.

Took some photos as I went along, happy yo post if anyone would find them useful as a guide, with tools list etc?

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have purchased an outdoor weatherproof socket, complete with RCD. From your picture it is the same (Sproket pic).
Could you please tell me what you did to fix the socket to the floor of the caravan.
I have an Elddis Avante 2005, the floor is made up of two sheets of ply with insulation sandwiched between.
I do not want to fix the socket to the chassis, and would rather fix to the underside floor as you have done.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Bob

I used some stainless steel self tapping screws i think
pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon_zpserdjluzy.gif
as it was back in 2010 when i fitted mine, if you take the front cover off that holds the sockets to the backing box you will be able to see what maximum size screw you can use, i think it was either the 12's or the 14's (you need to check that the head does not foul the side when fitting it through the hole) the thread length will be ok, the cable is threaded through one of the holes in the chassis and then sealed in place with some silicon to stop it chaffing on the metal, apart from that the cable is just clipped with black cable clips to the floor ....

Good luck..

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I have now fitted the socket to the underside of the caravan floor. I was a little concerned that the ply flooring would not be thick enough to hold the socket securely but on getting under and having a look it is about half inch thick or slightly more so I have fitted socket casing with four screws, as you suggest. I managed to position the socket and pass the cable through a vent hole into the area under the nearside seating, where, conveniently there is a socket that is used to supply electricity to the fridge.
Thank you again for taking the time and replying. All fitted and working fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts