Flags and Pennents.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Whilst on the CC website I noticed this thread.

I am sat on the Brecon caravan club site and what sight, welsh and Liverpool FC flags flying from caravans about 15ft high, come on let's be serious and stop this and ban them has I think it is bringing the image of the club down , if they want these stupid childish flags, them to go to a commercial site . I am fed up that the club allows these when you can only pitch in a certain way. Stop them now.

My own thought are they harm nobody, children and friends can find you if not pitched together, whats your thoughts. I saw someone else say, why do people hang their washing out when the CC supply tumble dryers on site. :woohoo:
Hutch.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a flagpole with from which I fly the Black Country flag, or the Union flag if the occasion warrants it, and the pole is sometimes lit with led's during the evening, especially at caravan rallies.
I sometimes raise it on commercial sites and always at music festivals but on sites with nice picturesque countryside views the flagpole stays in the locker.
As with most things in life, there's a time and a place for everything. :)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

I am sat on the Brecon caravan club site and what sight, welsh and Liverpool FC flags flying from caravans about 15ft high, come on let's be serious and stop this and ban them has I think it is bringing the image of the club down , if they want these stupid childish flags, them to go to a commercial site . I am fed up that the club allows these when you can only pitch in a certain way. Stop them now.

My own thought are they harm nobody, children and friends can find you if not pitched together, whats your thoughts. I saw someone else say, why do people hang their washing out when the CC supply tumble dryers on site. :woohoo:
Hutch.

this comes into the same catergory as the thread on blinds, people just have to have something to moan about,
without once looking into a mirror, it is one of the things I am glad to be away from now being van less.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
the 'blind' thread was not a moan...it was simply a canvas of opinion...people should read the posts more carefully before 'blindly' (see what I did there....its like having peter kay on the forum....) posting misguided opinion. I actually like the flags and fluttery things on caravans, it is some ones chance to outwardly express their values and allegiances...one of my pet hates though, is people flying the things at music festivals, not on the campsites but in front of the main stage.....as has already been said, there is a time and a place for almost anything....

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

I am sat on the Brecon caravan club site and what sight, welsh and Liverpool FC flags flying from caravans about 15ft high, come on let's be serious and stop this and ban them has I think it is bringing the image of the club down , if they want these stupid childish flags, them to go to a commercial site . I am fed up that the club allows these when you can only pitch in a certain way. Stop them now..

I am surprised that they don't add that any car or caravan that is more than three years old should not be allowed on site either!
Off to the CC website now to really wind them up!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When we pitch up on a site where there are other caravan owners we're in the public gaze so to speak.
Almost anything we do,, whether using our caravan or not could come under some degree of scrutiny and fellow caravanners may or may not have an opinion about anything that we do.
In all walks of life people behave and react differently, some are fairly good humoured, some are not, some are very gregarious, some prefer their own company.
As we conduct our daily lives most of us consider the effects of our actions or deeds on others, but no matter what we do we can never please everybody.
Caravan sites, especially those associated with clubs, do seem to have a few unwritten rules which appear to be dictated by the more curmudgeonly types.
The trouble in these modern times is that along with the majority of friendly helpful internet users the curmudgeons and grumpy types can tell everybody what they think from the safety of their computer keyboard or i-phone.

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi there all,

I love the flags on poles. While in France last year we were pitched alongside two lovely couples from Wales. The second family had the dragon on display, up a very well lit pole. I liked it and of course we had a bit of banter about the Irish Team versus the Welsh Rugby team... It was the flag that opened up the conversation....
I would love to have our tri-colour on display when we head to France this year but these cannot be got in Ireland.
Where can I get one please....

Thanks and keep flying the flag, I say.

Kenzo.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Parksy. If there is a view don't obstruct it . There is a time and a place and the Woosiefest is one for flying the flag if you son't upset the neighbours and views.
Where allowed and usually following the lead of the Lightpole Man we have a Wiltshire County flag and an Aston Villa FC. Plus there are the Royal Woosie Banners and Woosie window plaques prepared by the wonderful but long missing Lady Di

Anyone know where she is :unsure:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a number of C&CC pennons which we collected when the girls came with us but do not bother with now. Other than a possible safety issue if they are not secured correctly I have no real opinion either way.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
We have a number of C&CC pennons which we collected when the girls came with us but do not bother with now. Other than a possible safety issue if they are not secured correctly I have no real opinion either way.
My flagpole is extendable to a possible 10 meters, and is secured by a hard stake driven into the ground which fits inside the pole plus old spare pole sections which reinforce the secured part, all secured tightly to the jockey wheel strut by a bungee chord.
If there are strong winds I lower the pole which makes it less likely to flex and gives more added strength, and in stormy conditions it's taken down altogether.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
00buzz said:
the 'blind' thread was not a moan...it was simply a canvas of opinion...people should read the posts more carefully before 'blindly' (see what I did there....its like having peter kay on the forum....) posting misguided opinion. I actually like the flags and fluttery things on caravans, it is some ones chance to outwardly express their values and allegiances...one of my pet hates though, is people flying the things at music festivals, not on the campsites but in front of the main stage.....as has already been said, there is a time and a place for almost anything....

So which is it an opinion or a moan, suppose that depends on on your own point of view. or opinion, I think that is the whole point, isn't it, in asking for their opinion it brings with it others point of view good or bad. and in doing so brings with it the odd moan, it could be argued that there is no such thing as misguided just a difference of opinion that differs from ones own. I don't think Peter Kay would understand that, """WHAT !!!""".

in linking the two threads is not a case of not reading just one of passing comment or giving an opinion on the general scope of the discussions contained within the thread, on a forum these generally come in groups. one of the groups is a general moan thread, this can be on any subject, from kids to dogs, bikes to windbreaks, and blinds to flag poles.

this thread opened with a comment regarding someone's opinion [moan] about flags, and while it may not be the view of the OP, opened up the discussion to the for or anti opinions regarding flags and other types of adornments one sees on caravans.

the blind thread did the same thing, asking for opinions regarding blinds and how ones uses them. the comments contained therein are in fact similar, as they are with all such threads,

or course that is just my opinion :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
hi colin,

being a Lancastrian it is inevitable that we will always have a differing opinion (even if we agree !!!!!).......at least we don't need to go to war over it anymore....... ;)

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Now, still being relatively new to this caravanning past-time, we have noted the odd flag/windsock/flying fish type things which we have no problem with. In fact, some of them do make us titter and bring a smile, although we have not considered one for our 'van........ until now that is.
We're holidaying with the daughter, her partner and grandson (aged 2) this year, so think it will be a good means for the little one to spot grandma and grandads 'van, as they will be close to us but not right next door.

:cheer:

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I fly a wiggly fish and a union jack on the top of a 15m pole........ its not spoiling anyones view so what is the issue.

The reason I do it,................. it so that our children always know where to come back to in the event they get disorientated on a large site, X marks the spot so to speak.

I want my kids to ride their bikes, go exploring, fetch and carry the water, even send them to the shop if its on site. always respectful, polite and mindful of other peoples privacy, but the flag just helps them incase.

I never for one moment thought it was a problem.................. :p

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Don't mind flags as long as they are not obscene like flying a flag for a football club. However when they start cracking and flapping at night in a strong wind then we object.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I like seeing the flags and pennants provided they are not blocking the view ( time and place) or worse, making a blinking awful racket by flapping loudly, rattling or banging.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not a fan of 6 ft x 4 foot flags, windsocks or stange birds, but when abroad we do have two small flags ( usually called car flags ) on the windbreak poles. One is England (St George) and the other the Stars and Stripes, representing our dual nationalities. These have been the start of many friendly chats with other nationalities ( and have saved me explaining the OH 's accent)
I would also fly the national flag of the country we happen to be in, much as a ship in a foreign port does as a matter of respect. However, it seems quite difficult to find such flags even when in the visited countries.

I fly England rather than the Union flag as there are often Scottish and Welsh flages of similar size displayed. The EU flag is not generally seen.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is a carry over from the 60's or before when many caravans, particularly those upmarket came with either two or three fitted short mass above the centre of the front window. The idea was you flew a Union or Regional pennant, together with a CC and your local section or County pennant. Alternatives were makers Owners Clubs or some Service flags. Quite a nice idea perhaps due for a revival ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When in France in July / September, might be nice to have Union Flag, a Saltaire then the St Pirans Flag.(Cornish)
. I dont think that would cause offense would it, Shows racial harmoney. , or should we just show the emblem of the county we live in. ?

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The thing with these high rise flags is that if you like them that's all well and good, but if you find them an eyesore or are annoyed by the constant fluttering, you can't really do much about it without risking being regarded as grumpy and curmudgeonly.
These things rank alongside music that's just a bit too loud, or people who have overly loud conversations in the restaurant - like there'san attention seeking element at work that becomes irritating

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts